CD-RW not erasing

Status
Not open for further replies.

springblossoms

Right off the assembly line
I am facing a peculiar problem. I am unable to write & read multisession cds and CD-RW is not erasing old content. Please give me some solution. I will be thankful to you.

Thanks

Gurpreet Singh

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
Few days back I had a similiar problem with my DVD writer.I still can't say whether your problem also may be the same.In any case this is what happened.With a brand new blank CDRW, my ,almost four years old ND-1300A DVD writer will recognise it as a blank CDRW and show its capacity using Disc info of Nero 7.However when writing the write operation used to fail at the final stage of writing leadin and leadout.When trying to erase it with NERO even the erase operation failed saying the disc cannot be erased.Checking again the disc info using Nero 7 it showed the media as blank Audio CD:eek: not writable.I thought the media must be bad and threw away the CDRW:mad: and then forgot about it. How sad.:(
Later when the same problem repeated with another CDRW,(as per my ND1300A it was an Audio CD after a write attempt failure),I put it into my Liteon DVD writer in the Media center PC and successfully erased it.( I do not remember what exactly the Disc info said but it was definitely not an AUDIO CD as proclaimed by my ND 1300A)Now I knew that the problem is with my ND1300A.I tried cleaning the Laser with a Disc cleaning CD but that did not help.I pulled out the ND1300A DVD writer and replaced it with a brand new Moser Baer Liteon DH-20A1P52C.
So my advice would be try the CDRW in another DVD writer with your friend.If you are able to erase it , the problem is with your drive. Clean the Laser Head and then check.. If the problem persists, you know the solution.
If you are the adventurous type dismantle the DVD drive and manually clean the head. I did not do that since my DVD drive had served me for four years and hence deserved retirement and I did not want to dirty my hand with no results guaranteed.( Just for the heck of it I had once opened a useless Samsung drive and so I do know the how-to) :)

Last edited:

a_tif

Journeyman
springblossoms said:
I am facing a peculiar problem. I am unable to write & read multisession cds and CD-RW is not erasing old content. Please give me some solution. I will be thankful to you.

Thanks

Gurpreet Singh

similest problem can be that ur lens is dirty
Try cleaning the lens using lens cleaner cd u get in the market

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Use an alternate software like CD XP Burner Pro, or even better, K3b on any linux distro. I've had similar problems with Nero and Amkette CDRW

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
Absolutely no problem if you want to try with another CD/DVD wrirting software.But if the problem is with the drive that is not going to help. In respect of my experience I forgot to mention that when I was unable to erase the CDRW with Nero 7, I installed Roxio easy CD/DVD creator ( old version) in Windows Me ( I have a ME/XP dual boot desktop) and tried to erase the CDRW but without success. That was the reason why I threw away the CDRW thinking it is bad.Later much to my chagrin I zeroed in on the fact that the problem was with the drive when I could erase the "blank Audio CD" CDRW using the same nero 7 on my media Center PC with a liteon drive.

qadirahmed

Journeyman
Now its my turn......
am facing the same prob which mentioned above... Mine is samsung combo... i dont wish to replace it........

any other solutions....... plz guys do help

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
Same problem means same solution:smile:.Anyway don't take my words for granted. Try all possible means to check and zeroin into the problem a.) Use a CD Lense cleaner and then try. b.) Take the CDRW and try to erase it on your friend's optical drive. If it could be erased on his drive, you know where the problem is. To confirm use a brand new CDRW on your drive and try to write and read. Does it fail? Throw your drive into the garbage bin and be the proud owner of a brand new Optical drive (other than a Samsung drive). If you do not want to replace it give it to Samsung for repairs. But be assured no such repair is going to last long. My personal experience with Samsung drives and service.:D Somewhereelse here, someone has said that it might have gone into PIO mode and given an elaborate procedure to return it to DMA mode. Check on that too before giving up.

OP
S

springblossoms

Right off the assembly line
None of the solutions provided solve my problem

None of the solutions provided solve my problem. Please help it out. My Sony CD-RW is going to be wasted.

Vivek788

In the zone
i had this prob with a dvd-rw but never with a cd-rw with my older sony dvd writer.
Now my dru190a thing doesnt detect a blank cd-rw at all....and I somehow managed to return it to the shopkeeper....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom