Case fans - suggestions needed

mobo

Broken In
The struggle is real you guys! I didn't realise how loud those pesky case fans can get until I put my case on top of the table, right next to me.
I have the spec-04 tempered glass case, and the fan it came with is actually very decent. The real problem is the CM silent fan 120 SI2 that I have installed as the rear exhaust. It blows! and not literally.

I don't have the specs(?) for the pre-installed corsair fan, but the CM is:
44.73 CFM
1.65 mm H2O
19.1 dB-A
1200 R.P.M
DC voltage control

So I guess what I am looking for is a fan that exceeds this in at least the top 3 specs(flow, pressure, and noise), and I would prefer PWM and red LEDs. I am not sure how much good fans cost, but the absolute max I am willing to spend is 3k for a pair, the lower the better of course. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
*www.amazon.com/Noctua-Anti-Stall-Bearing-PWM-NF-S12A/dp/B00BEZZBFO
*www.amazon.in/Setting-Anti-Stall-Bearing-NF-S12A-FLX/dp/B00BEZKX8Y
*www.amazon.in/Anti-Stall-Bearing-PWM-Cooling-NF-S12A/dp/B00BEZZBFO
*www.amazon.in/setting-Anti-Stall-Bearing-NF-S12A-ULN/dp/B00BEZWPTO
For difference between 3 versions:
Noctua NF-S12A 120mm Case Fan Review - The Streaming Blog

OP
mobo

mobo

Broken In
Thanks, but those are just too expensive. I'd rather buy a hyper 212 and extract the 2 fans from it.

I guess I'll try one of those circle fans that seem so ubiquitous on amazon. Their specs look too good to be true though.

Masterfan MF120R ARGB also looks affordable, but I don't have an ARGB header on my motherboard.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't suggest "circle" fans because as you said "Their specs look too good to be true". I thought you need a exhaust fan under 3k to replace CM silent fan.

OP
mobo

mobo

Broken In
3k for a pair. I'll replace the intake as well - it's a bit challenging to maintain similar flow rates with different fans. I am having to run them at different voltages because the CM is noticeably worse-performing than the pre-installed.
I am thinking I'll try one circle fan, and return it if I don't like it.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
How much temp reductions you are aiming for anyway?For reducing processor temps,cpu cooler matters much more than case fans.

OP
mobo

mobo

Broken In
I am not necessarily looking for a reduction in temperatures. I mainly want something quieter. The CM moves plenty of air when run at full 12 volts, but it's loud enough to bother me even at 6 volts.

Maybe I just got a dud.

quicky008

Technomancer
Circle fans are very noisy-i have one installed in my cabinet and its noise levels literally drives me nuts. I have been thinking of getting rid of it and getting something from cooler master or corsair instead.

Last edited:
OP
mobo

mobo

Broken In
I bought one circle fan, this one, to be precise, and I actually like it. It's definitely the loudest of the 3 I have - CM SI2, pre-installed corsair, and this circle, but it also moves the most air. I thought the specs might be a blatant lie, but now that I have it, I am convinced that they're true, and it really is noticeably better than the CM SI2, at least when it comes to the airflow. I have found it to be quieter as well, when I set the voltage to something that feels like a similar level of airflow. I have ordered another one, and will test thermals when once I receive it. I definitely would try more circle products when I get a chance.

quicky008, do you have it plugged into the motherboard or the PSU? It certainly was loud at full 12 volts, but I am perfectly happy running it at 4-8 volts.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting,it being loudest was within expectations but it being better than CM SI2 regarding airflow is unexpected.Do post a small review later if you get some free time.

Top Bottom