1. Hi Guest
    We are running a survey about laptop service in India, and we'd love your inputs. Please help us improve the quality of laptop servicing, and if you've had any bad experiences, now is the time to be heard.
    Take the survey

Case fans - suggestions needed

Discussion in 'PC Components / Configurations' started by mobo, Feb 10, 2019.

1. mobo

mobo Member

The struggle is real you guys! I didn't realise how loud those pesky case fans can get until I put my case on top of the table, right next to me.
    I have the spec-04 tempered glass case, and the fan it came with is actually very decent. The real problem is the CM silent fan 120 SI2 that I have installed as the rear exhaust. It blows! and not literally.

I don't have the specs(?) for the pre-installed corsair fan, but the CM is:
    44.73 CFM
    1.65 mm H2O
    19.1 dB-A
    1200 R.P.M
    DC voltage control

So I guess what I am looking for is a fan that exceeds this in at least the top 3 specs(flow, pressure, and noise), and I would prefer PWM and red LEDs. I am not sure how much good fans cost, but the absolute max I am willing to spend is 3k for a pair, the lower the better of course. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

2. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 Super Moderator

3. OP
    OP
    mobo

mobo Member

Thanks, but those are just too expensive. I'd rather buy a hyper 212 and extract the 2 fans from it.

I guess I'll try one of those circle fans that seem so ubiquitous on amazon. Their specs look too good to be true though.

Masterfan MF120R ARGB also looks affordable, but I don't have an ARGB header on my motherboard.

4. whitestar_999

I wouldn't suggest "circle" fans because as you said "Their specs look too good to be true". I thought you need a exhaust fan under 3k to replace CM silent fan.

5. OP
    OP
    mobo

mobo Member

3k for a pair. I'll replace the intake as well - it's a bit challenging to maintain similar flow rates with different fans. I am having to run them at different voltages because the CM is noticeably worse-performing than the pre-installed.
    I am thinking I'll try one circle fan, and return it if I don't like it.

6. whitestar_999

How much temp reductions you are aiming for anyway?For reducing processor temps,cpu cooler matters much more than case fans.

7. OP
    OP
    mobo

mobo Member

I am not necessarily looking for a reduction in temperatures. I mainly want something quieter. The CM moves plenty of air when run at full 12 volts, but it's loud enough to bother me even at 6 volts.

Maybe I just got a dud.

8. quicky008

quicky008 Well-Known Member

Circle fans are very noisy-i have one installed in my cabinet and its noise levels literally drives me nuts. I have been thinking of getting rid of it and getting something from cooler master or corsair instead.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019 at 10:43 AM
  9. OP
    OP
    mobo

mobo Member

I bought one circle fan, this one, to be precise, and I actually like it. It's definitely the loudest of the 3 I have - CM SI2, pre-installed corsair, and this circle, but it also moves the most air. I thought the specs might be a blatant lie, but now that I have it, I am convinced that they're true, and it really is noticeably better than the CM SI2, at least when it comes to the airflow. I have found it to be quieter as well, when I set the voltage to something that feels like a similar level of airflow. I have ordered another one, and will test thermals when once I receive it. I definitely would try more circle products when I get a chance.

quicky008, do you have it plugged into the motherboard or the PSU? It certainly was loud at full 12 volts, but I am perfectly happy running it at 4-8 volts.

10. whitestar_999

Interesting,it being loudest was within expectations but it being better than CM SI2 regarding airflow is unexpected.Do post a small review later if you get some free time.