can't open any drive in "my computer"

Status
Not open for further replies.

callmeastha

Broken In
every time i double click on c: or d: in my computer it habgs and a dialog box appers that says "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."
it give the following error info:

error signature-------------------------
AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.5512 ModName: mshtml.dll
ModVer: 8.0.6001.18241 Offset: 00122e20

also,i can access all files and folder on both drives easily using run.
please help me.
thank you

paroh

Padawan
mshtml.dll is need by os (Internet explorer use this file for page rendering)

The version can be mismatch so download this file mshtml.dll and replace with the old one. If it works its good

otherwise follow this

Update ur windows with sp3 and all other update patches

Infernal12

Sony Ericsson Lover
Sounds like a virus to me. Use cmd.exe to do what dheeraj_kumar said. or run an online scan using Kaspersky. :)

mrintech

Technomancer
Scan with: *www.superantispyware.com/download.html and *www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free

Virus/Trojan/Malware/Scumware related problem, if any, will be solved ;)

OP
C

callmeastha

Broken In
mshtml.dll is need by os (Internet explorer use this file for page rendering)

The version can be mismatch so download this file mshtml.dll and replace with the old one. If it works its good

otherwise follow this

Update ur windows with sp3 and all other update patches

i did add the dll file to windows\system folder but didn't help.also IE is not running ever since this problem has occurred.no matter how many times i double click on it, it just doesn't open and it doesn't give any error also.
p.s. i have service pack 3 installed already.
what do i do?

Ecko

Wandering In Tecno Land
Dude replace the file using Replacer else windows will keep the previous file

paroh

Padawan
The other possibility is of shell problem. Download shexview and run it and disable 50 shell in a group and see whether it works for u or not if it works find which shell is causing the problem and only disbabe that shell and enable the disabled shell.

ElectrodeXS

Right off the assembly line
I had the same problem. The devices worked perfectly without the autorun.inf and the desktop.ini but would cause explorer to crash when I browsed to there while those file were there. I tested the drives in other computers and found that they worked.

I started wondering what I could have installed that made them behave like that. It had to be a program that had something to do with msthml.dll.

I'm pretty sure that the problems only started after I installed IE8 beta, but it may have been right before.

I google searched how to uninstall IE8 beta and found that you have to
1) go to Start -> run
2) type in c:\WINDOWS\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe

This uninstalls IE8 and reverted it back to what I had b4 (IE 6)

The computer rebooted and I tested my flash drives and they now work again!

hope this helps!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom