can this be done in a network

Status
Not open for further replies.

harshagarwal

Journeyman
I am having a cable internet connection of hathway and i am also having 4 pcs sharing this connection.

Connection is given only on one pc(i.e say Comp1) and to use internet on say comp2 i have to keep comp1 running.

now i want that can the internet wire be directly connected to my SWITVH or HUB so that i dont need to keep my comp1 running all the time and only switch/hub is kept running.

if this is possible please tell me how to do it.

thanx in advance.

technoteen

Journeyman
it may be possible depending on how your allows you to access internet

if its an always on internet connection with no need to sign in after you start the connection then you can coonect the line coming from the ISP to the uplink( generally the no. 1 link) of your switch and your pcs to the rest of the links.

but of u need to authenticate to use the internet then sorry it is not possible, you will have to use the cuurent mechanism of internet connection sharing

digen

Youngling
I'm afraid thats not possible unless you get a router.A router will provide internet connectivity to all users on the LAN irrespective of whether any host is powered on or shut down.You could also give away with ICS if you have a router,makes this much easier to manage & deploy.

technoteen

Journeyman
sorry forgot to mention that if you use the firts type i mentiond, then all your machine will appear on your ISPs Network as well which will expose your internal network to the dangerous network of ISP. also the ISP may not allow this type of usage.

@digen: router is the best option buti have heard that they are costly and can sometime be a hassle to install and maintain

digen

Youngling
Yes true routers are expensive when compared to internal/external modem's but dont most ISP's provide the option of a router cum broadband modem instead of just a standalone modem at a additional cost?

And to answer your other query,routers do what you want them to do.As far my personal experience is concerned right from Cisco 2600 to Linksys WRT54G wireless router,all work Magic :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom