Can someone help me design a Desktop System?

Status
Not open for further replies.

purifier

Broken In
I've been reading and reading digit for the last few days trying to find out whats best for me... But how many ever times i read i still have 3 to 4 options in front of me... Can someone help me design a good desktop system for around a price tag of Rs.30,000/- ?

I thought of the following:

1. Processor: Intel 64-bit(or 32-bit?) 3.0 GHz HT Processor
Motherboard: Intel D915GLVG or Intel Desktop Board D945GNT - I don't have a clue as to which is better at the same time being affordable.

2. Harddisk: 200GB or 400GB (Normal or SATA?) - I need mass storage so i thought of these sizes. I wanted to know if even normal can be equipped because 200GB SATA is too expensive to fit in the budget.

3. RAM: 512MB/1GB/2GB - Which one should i take?

4. Graphics Card: 256MB Gainward Nvida GeForce 6200 - Or any similar one.. I don't have any idea about graphics cards because this is the one time i'm taking one. Also, I don't know if this graphics card is PCI express as i heard that that the 915 and 945 motherboard support PCI Express. I need a system that can bear with Picture-in-Picture Recording for recording some lectures in Powerpoint Presentations, so someone told me about this card. If incase my choice is incorrect, please recommend a better one...

Any extra recommendations please??

Please Help... This is the first time i'm planning for a system so i'd be glad if someone could help me out a little. I don't want the price to exceed Rs.30k, but i don't know how much the above specs require...

Requirements:
Heavy Video Recording
Moderate Gaming (To play Prince of Persia Warriors Within and like games)
Support for 2 200GB or 400GB hardisks(a new one and my existing 200GB disk)
Support for DVD Writer

I'd be really grateful if someone could help me out...

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
O well u shud hav had a look around similar threads are going on all over :shock: I really wonder y everyone wants to hav his own thread to get his hardware configuration discussed :roll:

OP
P

purifier

Broken In
Sorry, but when it comes to deciding on my own, i'm a real novice when it comes to hardware. So I guess overlooking one thread of a novice wouldn't create that much harm.. would it? So, please bear with me...

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
if u can stretch ur budget to 3500 bucks then check this

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31387

my advice is AMD would be a better option then INtel!!!

OP
P

purifier

Broken In
Thank you for your reply... I saw those configurations. I like everything except AMD. I don't have a grudge over it but i've heard that AMD heats up quickly and that its power dissipation is high.. Requires atleast 3 fans... What do suggest?

Preferred Intel because After Sales Service for it very nice compared to AMD at my place.

I could get hold of a few rates and thought of having some of the following components...

Intel D915GAV 915G,V,S,16xPCX 4900
Intel - HT P4-LGA 3.0 GHz 800MHz, 2MB,LGA-HT 8250
Intel P4-HT 3.0 GHz 800MHz, 1MB, 478Pin 8300
Hynx / Tran. 1.0 GB-DDR-400 400MHz - PC3200 5400
LG DVD-Writer 16xD 16x, Dual Layer, 8.5GB 3000
SGT / SS 200GB - SATA Baracuda / Puma 7200r 5650
SGT / SS 300GB - SATA Baracuda / Puma 7200r 7650
Zebronics Class - 10 Models w/USB, Audio & Fan 1400
LG 15" - Ord Avail in Wh/Blk 4300
LG 17" - Ord Avail in Wh/Blk 5275

I'm now stuck as to what things to choose... Any suggestions... because all this comes at only 25k when the best out of the above are chosen. The problem is I don't know which is the best... Also, I couldn't get hold of the Gainward GeForce 6200 Graphics Card Price...

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
gainward geforce 6200 (256mb) costs 3500 bucks

but i dont think its worth it with the on board graphics of the 915 mobo

and go for the proc with the lga775 socket

if u want a 300gb disk then the maxtor diamond max 10 is the best choice as it gives the best value for money

and go for a 17 inch monitor

if u r stuck with ur 30000 budget well dude there are others things to buy like
the UPS, power supply, cabinet
and stuff ...

and i will add tht ,
reconsider ur thoughts on AMD
wat u think is real old news and the current crop of AMD processor have no heatin issues at all

in fact the INtel 3.0ghz is based on the prscott core which is known for overheating issues

i still believe AMD will be a better choice coz it offers 64 bit support for almost the same price as intel 32bit procs

ANyways the choice is urs

and all the best !!!!

OP
P

purifier

Broken In
Thank You so much... Guess I'll research again.. Maybe I was wrong about AMD. Don't know why i got such information. Just in case what does the following mean?

gainward geforce 6200 (256mb) costs 3500 bucks

but i dont think its worth it with the on board graphics of the 915 mobo

and go for the proc with the lga775 socket

Because, I heard that the onboard Graphics of 915 is just 64 so adding a dedicated GPU... won't it increase the performance? And pardon my ignorance but what does lga775 socket mean?

Regarding the UPS, I already have one. Cabinet I've included in the list. Company is Zebronics which includes SMPS + Cables.

Sorry for the trouble I'm causing...

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
no probs dude

u dont need to be so apolegetic

regarding the graphics card its ur choice
adding wont be a bad idea

i was takin the budget into consideration

and the proc
old intel procs come with the 478 socket
they are obselete now coz intel has stopped their production

the newer ones come with a socket named lga775
this provides more bandwidth

and mind u not all prices in the link i gave u are accurate, they vary from place to place !!!!

Berry

Broken In
hey go for the AMD cause the pc where i work has AMD 64 2800, 512 400RAM, and ASrock board, 6200tc and it beats the shit out of my 2.4 Intel, 1 Gig 266RAM, 6600 and 865board test machine when playing games and also when ripping cd to mp3.Oh and get a processor cooler from cooler master, if you think you will have heat problems. Always go for more RAM cause it will really help. And whatever you do don't go for any graphic card that is like this one will do for moderate gaming cause sooner or later you will regret buying a crappy one. But if was you, i would wait and wait and wait and then wait a bit more, keep saving up and then finally one day go buy a kick ass system. Trust me it'll be worth the wait.

praka123

left this forum longback
intel prescott procee i got; got bigger heating problems than AMD :lol: BUYING INTEL? HMM....

OP
P

purifier

Broken In
Aaaa... I'm confused like hell... I've been finding out lots and lots of unwanted information. What is that notation used in AMD processors? What is the equivalent number for Intel 3.0GHz HT in AMD? And ok, I know atleast this thing... AMD won't fit on that 915 Motherboard so I'll have to go for some other company. I've heard that ASUS has problems and Gigabyte doesn't have any service at all at my place.

So if I change my decision from buying an AMD instead of Intel, besides the motherboard, should I change even others too? And I wonder if I'll be able to get n equivalent AMD in that Price range.

The thread that digitized had given me, contains all the pricings. Thank You very much. But, I don't know, in AMD which processor+motherboard combination I'm looking for...

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
ok got ur point ,

go for an,

AMD athlon64 3200+
its clock speed is 2ghz mind it is a 64 bit proc and can easily outrun INTEL 3.0 ghz
costs abt 9000 bucks

and for the mobo

MSI RS480M2-IL

this won the digit best buy in July

costs abt 4900 bucks

and others can remain same coz they external additions on the mobo ...

OP
P

purifier

Broken In
Thank you.. That was quick. So AMD athlon64 3200+ is an equivalent to the Intel 3.0GHz.. Now i understand. Oh... So i can let the other devices be the same? Even MSI employs the same number of PCIe slots and others... I'll just check out the specs of the motherboard and get back here...

teknoPhobia

t3h g04t
Actually the Athlon64 3000+ is noticeably faster than the 3.0Ghz P4 in everything except Divx encoding. That and the ATi Rs480m2 based board combo is bout 9k, as much as the 3200+ chip only, performance difference is negligible. Not only that but on idle the 3000+ venice runs only slightly hotter than room temp. also you do not need anything other than the stock HSF unless ur going in for extreme overclocking.

OP
P

purifier

Broken In
Thank You... I thought of increasing my budget by a small margin... I need a small advice... Someone asked me to go for a Intel 945 Motherboard with a Dual Core Processor.

1. Is it recommended?

2. Will I get power even more than the Hyper Threading Technology?

3. Is it more reliable than the current Hyper threading technology?

4. How far is it advisable to switch to a relatively newer technology?

If for any of the above questions the answer turns out to be true... I need one final answer please...

5. I heard that the Gainward GeForce 6200 priced at Rs.3500/- won the Best Value Award in the Low End Series of Graphic Cards in Digit's Reviw of Graphics Cards. Could someone give me information on the Mid Range Series too? And if it is advisable to go for this...

I need this urgently, so i'd be thankful if someone could reply immediately.

Thank You.

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
well if u have the budget u can definitely go for it

but dual core as of now do cost a tone

there are two types of dual cores

pentium d 820 doesnt support HT

pentium d 840 supports it
now the above does cost a big ton

as far as the performance gain goes
pentium d 820 offers a marginal increase than the p4 3.2ghz

if r stickin to the 945 mobo
then i dont think the 6200's will give u a further boost

now goin for the mid range cards is totally dependent on ur gamin needs
well if u r a gamer (real time)
then go for the 6600gt's

all this depends on one underlying factor ur Budget

take my word i still prefer the AMD's
if u have the money
AMD athlon64 4000+(single core)
will be a better choice then the pentium d 820
and costs almost the same !!!

OP
P

purifier

Broken In
I guess, now i'll get down to a choice between Intel 3GHz HT(35% chances of buying) and AMD Athlon 64(65% chances of buying - thanks to you Sir :) )...

Well, the graphics card is not exactly for gaming(though i still have thoughts) but for heavy video recording. That was the reason i was so desperately searching for a suitable card. Because, one mistake, if tomorrow if i find out that the card cannot record good videos then i'm gone for good. Any further suggestions? Guess depending on the next few replies i receive, i'll take a system either tomorrow or day after tomorrow...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom