Can i run another brand of RAM alongside Kingston ?

Dipjyoti Choudhury

Right off the assembly line
Hey Guys !

I just need to give a final upgrade to my long ageing PC, for that i need to upgrade my RAM to 4 GB DDR2 800 MHz Dual Channel by buying another 2 GB DDR2 module ... So do i need to buy the same brand of RAM or another brand like Hynix would do ? ... Would there be any problems in future ? ..I have a hard time finding the Kingston Brand in my locality..

Thanx in advance....

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Hey Guys !

i need to upgrade my RAM to 4 GB DDR2 800 MHz Dual Channel by buying another 2 GB DDR2 module

What year is this? 2009? Are DDR2 RAM even available? I would personally recommend that you upgrade your whole system.

But if you insist on upgrading your RAM, the brand of the RAM wouldn't matter as long as both have the same memory frequency.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
@OP: u will get DDR2 RAM from online retailers or offline but that costly as compared to DDR3
so best suggestion is to upgrade the system (if u have budget)

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
What year is this? 2009? Are DDR2 RAM even available? I would personally recommend that you upgrade your whole system.

But if you insist on upgrading your RAM, the brand of the RAM wouldn't matter as long as both have the same memory frequency.

just because you upgraded your rig doesn't mean everyone can and i guess op doesn't use his rig for heavy task or anything like that.

@OP: u will get DDR2 RAM from online retailers or offline but that costly as compared to DDR3
so best suggestion is to upgrade the system (if u have budget)

upgrading the whole system just because op needs to buy a RAM doesn't make any sense, does it?

@op you need a RAM with the same timings and latency. Company doesn't matter as long as timing are same. You can also adjust the timings manually if you are willing to.

Try erodov if you can't find the RAM you are looking for locally/online.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
^Lol you guys.

I am running Hynix 8 GB DDR3 (1.5v) and Samsung 4GB DDR3L(1.35v).
Same CAS latency and 1600Mhz

OP
D

Dipjyoti Choudhury

Right off the assembly line
Thanx Dude for helping me out ! Bought myself a Strontium 2 GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM ... As far as CAS Latency, speed and memory timings for the RAM modules go...both are same as per HWINFO and CPU-Z...I hope it works until my next Skylake upgrade...!

Top Bottom