Buying Moto G/Xperia ZR for Dad, Any long term use issues?

TheLetterD

Will Power
Hello

I am looking into buying a new phone for my dad. Budget is strictly 16K but I just saw that the Xperia ZR is available for 20K on Flipkart so was wondering if its really worth the extra 4K?

My main concern is long term use issues and stability, my dad is planning to use the phone for as long as possible. Some research showed me plenty of people facing irritating bugs in the code or in the phone that persist after the recent Kit Kat updates.
I wanted to know if TDF(Its digit now? Darn, Ive been away a while I guess) are facing any issues with either of the phones? Also, hows the battery back up on both the things? Im especially afraid since Motorola and Sony After sales support in India is already dodgy.

My dad already has a bad experience with Xperia P with constant OS bugs. He drops the phone constantly, so Ill have to get him a good Case(or two) for the phone, so a durable build wont hurt. I wont be rooting the phone, Stock ROM only.

Also, would you be able to suggest any other phone in the same budget with a stable stock ROM and a good battery back up?

TLDR; Need Durable smartphone for Dad, Stable stock ROM, good battery. 16K Budget, can extend it a bit if its a really good deal. Moto G/Xperia ZR/Other?

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I have not experienced significant bugs in my ZR though I am not sure what bugs mean here.

I have no complaints with battery life of ZR. Been using for more than 6 months now. It was on 4.1 factory image and soon got upped to 4.2 and some time back 4.3. With the excellent Stamina mode I easily get through a day not withstanding the fact that I am often playing with it for WhatsApp, Tapatalk, browsing, reading books, videos etc.
If the phone was to be used as a pure phone then I guess it could go 24 hrs on a single charge.

I have not experienced any hangs/restarts.

In my piece all volumes are low - ear piece, loudspeaker, headset. Too low. But there are other users here for whom it seems fine. Considering that it is for your father you should check it out personally.

$hadow

Geek in making
There is only one problem with SONY and that is their crappy earphone it sounds very low many times. But this problem is in their flagship as well So in short Sony don't care.

OP
TheLetterD

TheLetterD

Will Power
I have not experienced significant bugs in my ZR though I am not sure what bugs mean here.

I have no complaints with battery life of ZR. Been using for more than 6 months now. It was on 4.1 factory image and soon got upped to 4.2 and some time back 4.3. With the excellent Stamina mode I easily get through a day not withstanding the fact that I am often playing with it for WhatsApp, Tapatalk, browsing, reading books, videos etc.
If the phone was to be used as a pure phone then I guess it could go 24 hrs on a single charge.

I have not experienced any hangs/restarts.

Thats great! The volume might be an issue, so Ill check that out. By bugs I meant app crashes, hanging, lagging. Funnily enough I faced problems with delayed and ghost touches on the Xperia P. Might just be a faulty touchscreen though.

Thanks for the input $hadow but I already have a decent pair of headphones and earphones, so I dont care about that. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Blackberry Z3 and [STRIKE]HTC Desire 516[/STRIKE] just launched. Thoughts?
A7 Snappdragon 200 Processor on the HTC. Nope Nope Nope.

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
If you can get hands on a StanChart CC, you could look into Moto X (10% off for StanChard CC at Flipkart), but that could be a tad over your budget (~21,600 INR)

OP
TheLetterD

TheLetterD

Will Power
Dont have a StanChart one :(

BUMP on the Moto G long term reviews. Has anybody faced any issues with their device?

Minion

Conversation Architect
My brother is using Moto G no issue so far.I personally use Moto E even though it is a low end device interface is very fluid,device has solid build quality for its low price.

$hadow

Geek in making
Budget does matter in these times. It is entirely upto you what you want and how much can you invest.

Top Bottom