Buying Latest gaming laptop with GTX 970M

Dr. House

No Regrets
1) What is your budget? around 1400$ USD

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer? 15.6" 1080p display and weight should be as less as it can.

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook? Gaming and Video Editing It should be remain cooler in high performance task that I do mostly.

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
Latest core i7 (not the ULV processor please)
nVIDIA GTX 960M GPU
8GB + upgradable RAM slot
256GB SSD or 1TB HDD
Display should be best as I do a lot of photo and video editing.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: ASUS, Sager, HP and Alienware

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
^ none of these are under 75k or with 960m, specially the overpriced alienware. Forget them at all.

Better to get this:
XOTIC PC | Sager NP8651 (Clevo P650SE) - 15.6" Gaming Notebook

or any of these if on extremely tight budget:
XOTIC PC | Sager NP8650 (Clevo P650SA) - NVIDIA GTX 965M
XOTIC PC | Sager NP8268 (Clevo P150SM-A) - 15.6" Gaming Notebook

OP
Dr. House

Dr. House

No Regrets
What about Nvidia GTX 960M, GTX 950M and GT 940M GPUs to launch soon - Graphics - News - HEXUS.net and
Lenovo Readies Y50 Refresh with GTX 960M Graphics and IPS Display | techPowerUp ??

- - - Updated - - -

Asus ROG G551 costs 1069$ but with old GTX 860M if it refresh with 960M I think it would be in my budget
Amazon.com: ASUS ROG GL551JM-EH74 15.6" Gaming Laptop w/ NVIDIA GeForce GTX860M 2GB GDDR5 and Optimus Technology, 256 GB SSD & 16GB DDR3L RAM: Computers & Accessories

OP
Dr. House

Dr. House

No Regrets
European market is always expensive than US. Don't worry about customs my brother will bring it for me.
Sorry but I can't rely on Xotic/Segar like brands. I can't spend that much that I never seen or used. There will no one to repair if it gets broken in India.

European market is always expensive than US. Don't worry about customs my brother will bring it for me.
Sorry but I can't rely on Xotic/Segar like brands. I can't spend that much that I never seen or used. There will no one to repair if it gets broken in India.

I would recommend one thing; check the warranty transfer and compatibility clauses with Indian counterparts, or else you are up for a not so good surprise. Local warranties are not portable.

OP
Dr. House

Dr. House

No Regrets
I would recommend one thing; check the warranty transfer and compatibility clauses with Indian counterparts, or else you are up for a not so good surprise. Local warranties are not portable.

Asus products come with international warranty.

Asus products come with international warranty.

I wouldn't bank on Asus that much. If you were purchasing it in India, it might have been "the" best available option. Wait for the actual 960M reviews before making any decision. HP Omen and Acer Nitro are better laptops overall(Screen, portability, battery life and well...looks).

960M is rumored to have 640 cores, same as 860M. Even if this is not a simple renaming stint, the improvements will be based on the merits of Maxwell revision 2, not by the actual (raw) hardware specifications itself.

Last edited:

Rohan Rathi

Mega Noob
The best thing is Directx13 update will come for GTX 960M.

It's Dx 12.

If the OP is looking into playing heavy games then 960m is not the best bet looking how nvidia has handicapped the 965m compared to the 970m. As for a good screen all the laptops except ROG have TN display. Dont know about the clevo but MSI and Asus screens are pretty much alright along with the fact that both provide International warranty (I'd be with MSI on the warranty part).

It's Dx 12.

If the OP is looking into playing heavy games then 960m is not the best bet looking how nvidia has handicapped the 965m compared to the 970m. As for a good screen all the laptops except ROG have TN display. Dont know about the clevo but MSI and Asus screens are pretty much alright along with the fact that both provide International warranty (I'd be with MSI on the warranty part).

Agreed.
The strategy nvidia is currently using is to cap chips performance for a resolution bracket. 970 and 980 are being targeted to screens with resolution greater than FHD, whereas 965 is meant for gaming at FHD. 860/960 are...well, remember those odd resolutions starting with 1600 ?

Last edited:

Rohan Rathi

Mega Noob
I dont think the budget will meet OP's requirements if he's looking at companies that provide warranty. 256 gig ssd alone will eat a large chunk of your budget. Couple that up with premium companies like Asus, Alienware(!) or even MSI and you'll have to extend that budget. Your best bet is to go with Clevo or hope that Lenovo comes out with a 960m laptop.

Then there's the fact that weight and cooling don't go together. If you want a good laptop you've got to make some sacrifice or another.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
^ none of these are under 75k or with 960m, specially the overpriced alienware. Forget them at all.

Better to get this:
XOTIC PC | Sager NP8651 (Clevo P650SE) - 15.6" Gaming Notebook

or any of these if on extremely tight budget:
XOTIC PC | Sager NP8650 (Clevo P650SA) - NVIDIA GTX 965M
XOTIC PC | Sager NP8268 (Clevo P150SM-A) - 15.6" Gaming Notebook
At last....:clap2:
+1 for the suggestion.

OP
Dr. House

Dr. House

No Regrets
I dont think the budget will meet OP's requirements if he's looking at companies that provide warranty. 256 gig ssd alone will eat a large chunk of your budget. Couple that up with premium companies like Asus, Alienware(!) or even MSI and you'll have to extend that budget. Your best bet is to go with Clevo or hope that Lenovo comes out with a 960m laptop.

Then there's the fact that weight and cooling don't go together. If you want a good laptop you've got to make some sacrifice or another.

Amazon.com : Lenovo Y50 Touch 4K UHD Laptop Computer - 59423621 - Intel Core i7-4700HQ / 256GB Solid State Drive / 16GB RAM / 15.6" UHD MultiTouch 3840x2160 Display / NVidia GeForce 860M 2GB / Dual Band Wireless AC / Windows 8.1 : Computers & Accesso
Everything about this laptop is fine but I want a newer GPU and 1080p non touch screen panel.

Rohan Rathi

Mega Noob
Those international popular brands are what is called "premium" brands. Best of luck finding one that suits your budget. Go to Xotic PC and you'll know what I'm saying.

Lenovo is not one of them and they dont have a 960/965m laptop yet so yeah rule it out. The brands which I had listed will cost you minimum 1500$ for what you're asking. Although rumors are lenovo may be working on getting a 960/965m laptop out.

OP
Dr. House

Dr. House

No Regrets
Those international popular brands are what is called "premium" brands. Best of luck finding one that suits your budget. Go to Xotic PC and you'll know what I'm saying.

Lenovo is not one of them and they dont have a 960/965m laptop yet so yeah rule it out. The brands which I had listed will cost you minimum 1500$ for what you're asking. Although rumors are lenovo may be working on getting a 960/965m laptop out.

I don't think my budget is too less for my requirements if last year model (860M) costs around 1000$. As I mentioned on my first post I will purchase in April.
FYI New Alienware 15 with GTX 960M is selling 1400 USD on official alienware USA website.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I don't think my budget is too less for my requirements if last year model (860M) costs around 1000$. As I mentioned on my first post I will purchase in April.
FYI New Alienware 15 with GTX 960M is selling 1400 USD on official alienware USA website.

Lol that is overpriced. Clevo has 970M + 120 GB M2 SSD + IC Diamond for 1376$

Your budget isn't less, the configs OEMs offer are overpriced for that matter.
And why are you so fixated that the Clevo laptop will break with normal use ? :| [MENTION=150630]sam_738844[/MENTION] had a Clevo laptop previously. Ask him if in doubt.

Top Bottom