Buying GPU outside India

Rohan Rathi

Mega Noob
So my friend is in canada and will be returning to India soon. I want him to bring a GTX 1080. Can it be done without duties? I'm thinking of buying an EVGA card because of international warranty.

Need help on the procedure to follow.

ssb1551

Technomancer
If the box is open then your friend will not have to pay customs. If it's a sealed box then he will have to pay customs. Ask your friend to unseal the GPU box and get it.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
EVGA may offer international waranty but you will find there is no service center for EVGA in india. Best case scenario you will have to send the package to Taiwan with Insurance and a lot of headache. Half of the time, this headache will not be worth the amount u save from buying abroad.

Go for the Zotac 1080 Mini, its just as good as a founders edition (if not better)

sarthak96

Broken In
OP did you get your gpu? I also have a friend coming with a gpu. The law is very outdated in this regard so I was wondering if he can come with the gpu in carry baggage with antistatic wrapper and no box. It's an expensive card and custom duties are scary you know.

OP
R

Rohan Rathi

Mega Noob
OP did you get your gpu? I also have a friend coming with a gpu. The law is very outdated in this regard so I was wondering if he can come with the gpu in carry baggage with antistatic wrapper and no box. It's an expensive card and custom duties are scary you know.
Sorry man... Due to escalating prices in Canada didn't buy the card. Which card are you going for?

ssb1551

Technomancer
^^ Ask your friend to open up the box. If Customs catch him with the sealed box then they will either charge him duty or ask him to leave the card at the airport.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ Ask your friend to open up the box. If Customs catch him with the sealed box then they will either charge him duty or ask him to leave the card at the airport.
This is very weird law. So if say they catch you with a sealed pack, just open the box and say "now I can't sell it" and then bring it the home country? :lol:

billubakra

Conversation Architect
This is very weird law. So if say they catch you with a sealed pack, just open the box and say "now I can't sell it" and then bring it the home country? :lol:

A friend of mine knew someone in customs. Many people don't pay customs so their stuff is taken by the customs without giving any receipt or something. His acquaintance once gifted him a mid range sealed laptop. The custom guy told the owner to pay fine+interest and he never came back to collect it. Custom vale hote kaash hum bhi.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
A friend of mine knew someone in customs. Many people don't pay customs so their stuff is taken by the customs without giving any receipt or something. His acquaintance once gifted him a mid range sealed laptop. The custom guy told the owner to pay fine+interest and he never came back to collect it. Custom vale hote kaash hum bhi.
Moral: Never bring anything sealed packed in an international airplane. Always do your unboxing before departure.

Top Bottom