1) LG B8 OLED 55 inch : 95k Rs
2) LG C9 OLED 65inch : 2.25L Rs

Usage: (current)
Netflix etc (streaming) : 100%
(future)
4k Streaming movies and sitcoms: 70%
Gaming : 30% (PS5)

Why did I make this thread:
I have spent unhealthy amounts of time researching TV choices in both 55 and 65in variants and kept two budgets in mind
  1. Will buy the best 65in OLED in the market and try to match the budget accordingly (don't have Sony budget though)

2. Will buy a good enough 55in LCD/QLED but strictly under 1Lakh and upgrade later in a few (3-4) years when I can afford an OLED with a months salary
Everything was good until and my final choices were Samsung Frame 55in for 80k (Flipkart) and LG C9 for 225k (Amazon & Chroma). Thought of going with option 2 and then I came across this deal on LG B8 55in OLED TV and it broke my choices.

It's an OLED at the budget I was aiming for. Should I go for it?

Ofcourse it doesnt have VFR and HDMI 2.1 etc and an older alpha 7 processor but its still an OLED screen and I don't think I will even notice the difference between this and spending an extra 80k for its newest model (B9) or 1L+ LG flagship C9 (55 and 65in). All of them use the same panel but the hardware (processor etc) are different.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am currently on a Vu FHD 55in TV (2017) from my residency days and have been looking for an upgrade for a long time.

In my extensive research between OLED and QLED, I decided to go for an OLED TV if the budget permits. I'm open to other choices if comments of users of Q70/80/90 series of Samsung TVs are available.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things to note:
Budget - Can spend 2L for a set but would not might going lower for VFM options
Usage - Even though I have mentioned gaming it's a very low priority atm
Burn in- Not worried about it
Degradation - OLEDs will degrade to 50% brightness in 3-5 years and I'm aware and accepting of it
Lifespan - Usage of ~10years is the target but anything over 5 years is acceptable
Logic - I'm looking for the best there is to offer since I've been living with a Vu TV (which is excellent for its price) but feel how washed out its colours are compared to Sony/Samsung/LG panels. (this is true even if they use a panel sourced from Samsung like iffalcon TCL TVs)

If it isn't obvious, what I'm looking for are saner minds and their opinions since my mind is a mush with all the options floating around and indecisiveness at it's peak.

Thank you for your time

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Well nothing beats OLED in terms of PQ & Deep blacks if you ignore the burn-ins.

LG OLED C9 is a good choice. But I would suggest LG B8 where you can save money and invest the savings in PS5 :D

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some more info: OLED TV's price/best quote thread
OLED win hands down in picture quality though.

I've been living with a Vu TV (which is excellent for its price) but feel how washed out its colours are compared to Sony/Samsung/LG panels. (this is true even if they use a panel sourced from Samsung like iffalcon TCL TVs)
Do you mean to say that all other brands have this washed out colours issue compared to sony/samsung/lg?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I wish OLED tech makes some progress in the upcoming years, Im willing to switch out my monitor with an OLED one if it does.

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
Well nothing beats OLED in terms of PQ & Deep blacks if you ignore the burn-ins.

LG OLED C9 is a good choice. But I would suggest LG B8 where you can save money and invest the savings in PS5 :D
Aye Captain Commander! Inclined to go for the C9 more so after demoing it at the showroom.

Get a B8 now & upgrade after 4-5 years? We should have even better OLEDs then.
One of the main reasons I'm rushing is exactly the wait that brought me to this present situation. I waited 4 years and bought the Vu waiting for a day when 4k would be the norm, then waited for them to be cheap, then waited for OLED (honesly never thought OLED would be affordable to the middle class seeing how the Sony 11" OLED cost the same as a house back in the 2000s), also hoping the content would be 4K everywhere (this never happened though).

Some more info: OLED TV's price/best quote thread
OLED win hands down in picture quality though.

Do you mean to say that all other brands have this washed out colours issue compared to sony/samsung/lg?

That link is gold. Can't believe I didn't come across it even when I typed OLED for the millionth time in the search bar. I can demand a sound bar and some extra discount over what I was willing to pay. Let me try my hand at haggling tomorrow. Thanks a ton.

The washed out quote was based on my rudimentary perceptive skills and honestly a very personal opinion. I noticed it mostly thanks to Netflix where I would watch a show at home, crash at a friends place and then continue on to watch it on their Samsung telly and notice an improvement in contrast and overall a better picture, this was particularly obvious when I was watching again on a Sony set albeit a smaller 42inch unit but the quality was much better on the latter (although my friend who owns the set didn't share my views and told me the bigger 50in VU TV was better). Maybe it's just human nature to yearn for what you don't or can't have. On a more serious note I use rting dot come and HDTV test for my online review and comparison source.

I wish OLED tech makes some progress in the upcoming years, Im willing to switch out my monitor with an OLED one if it does.
I feel OLED tech has already or will reach its peak in next few years and wither away like the ol Plasma TVs. Considering the next generation of mini and micro LEDs being developed with the best of OLED and LCD tech in one sweet package while also bringing in better profit margins due to better yield for the panels, I would like to consevatively assume that the OLED market will remain a niche and fall by the sidelines. Also the peak brightness in OLEDs are its current weakness as well as the fact that they gradually diminish in brightness over the years.

If anyone has seen that reference monitor by Sony which uses a colour LCD whose backlight is filtered through a black and white LCD (I assume) layer giving it almost infinite contrast (by our perception), if they could bring that tech to the masses it would be awesome.

Last edited:
One of the main reasons I'm rushing is exactly the wait that brought me to this present situation. I waited 4 years and bought the Vu waiting for a day when 4k would be the norm, then waited for them to be cheap, then waited for OLED (honesly never thought OLED would be affordable to the middle class seeing how the Sony 11" OLED cost the same as a house back in the 2000s), also hoping the content would be 4K everywhere (this never happened though).

It's not like the difference between the picture quality of B8 & C9 will be huge to be easily visible. Both are OLEDs, cheaper one ain't QLED. LG B8 is considered as an excellent budget OLED TV. Still, if you can comfortably spend 225k, C9 is the better one among the two.

LG C9 OLED vs LG B8 OLED Side-by-Side TV Comparison

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
C8 is also a good choice though.

But if one is investing over lacs on a TV, the expectation should be the price to longevity ratio should be achieved. As, it is not a cellphone which is upgraded every year or < 6 months

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
That link is gold. Can't believe I didn't come across it even when I typed OLED for the millionth time in the search bar. I can demand a sound bar and some extra discount over what I was willing to pay. Let me try my hand at haggling tomorrow. Thanks a ton.
:) Whatever you finally buy,post a small review here.

Top Bottom