Buying advice needed for laptop (30k)

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I am posting on behalf of my friend who is looking for a new laptop.

1) What is your budget?
(INR or USD)
30k (He may stretch a little, but for the requirements he said this budget will be good enough, I think)

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
He doesn't have idea about this and neither do I have any. The one he is using now is about 15", I think.

3) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: No
b. Dislike: No

4) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
It's for home use. Browsing internet and watching videos.

5) What screen resolution(s) & type (glossy/matte) would you prefer?
Again, no idea. I am sure even if ask him, he would say that he don't know what kind he is using now.

6) Anything else you would like to say? (eg: local purchase, ASS,matte/glossy finish)
Most likely he will purchase it from a local store. He is not into gaming. Usage is very little. Little to no usage during weekdays. The laptop should have all the basic necessary things like DVD drive, webcam and all. He has been using the current laptop for about 8 years. So it's good to have a laptop which lasts that long or more. Any newer technology (like USB 3.0, SSD etc...) fits in his budget, fine and good.

$hadow

Geek in making
Lenovo G505 fits in perfectly with 2 usb 3.0. 15.6" screen and a graphic card as well for better experience.

Can you be a little more specific about your requirements please? Cuz there is a whole lotta range of laptops available within your budget.

gamefreak4770k

Journeyman
Get hp pavilion 15 series laptop with Intel i3 and 1 gb graphics

HP Pavilion 15-e021TX Laptop (3rd
Gen Ci3/ 4GB/ 500GB/ DOS/ 1GB
Graph)

its for 35k on flipkart and it has got better gpu than Lenovo i suppose...
and the laptop looks amazing.

go to showroom and check these both out and you'll know

Only i3 will cost you 33k

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Thanks guys..

@ Manoj, I will ask him and try to get little more specific about his requirements.

sourav237

Journeyman
1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)

30-35K INR

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen not too heavy

3) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Dell , HP
b. Dislike: HCL , Lenovo

4) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

MS Office work i.e data entry , power point presentation; Net surfing, Music & HD movies , occasional mid gaming
5) What screen resolution(s) & type (glossy/matte) would you prefer?
Full HD needed. I wanna to show presentation in class..dont know glossy or matt which one will be the best

6) Anything else you would like to say? (eg: local purchase, ASS,matte/glossy finish)

Wanna buy it from Kolkata...My friend suggest me to go for AMD rather than Intel..His choice is HP Pavilion 15-e002au Notebook .but i dont have much knowledge about AMD. I want dedicated graphics card. need good battery life. Extensive use...

Help me

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Here is little more specific about what he will do with this laptop.

- Need wider screen. The one he is using now is 15.4" (1280x800). Should be better than this. Couldn't find whether the screen is glossy or matte.
- Other than general use like internet surfing, watching videos, he will be using photoshop, paint.net, java, dot net (This is more than what I thought he would be using). I think photoshop would demand dedicated graphic card.
- A BIG NO to games.
- All basic things like DVD drive, web cam, in built speaker and mic, card reader, blue tooth, wifi and all should be present
- Need an operating system installed. Since he is used with Windows, it's better if it's windows. How much extra he would have shell out extra if he wants OS DVD along with the purchase?

Everything else from the first post (esp. budget) still the same.

Thank you.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I tried to narrow down based on the features and used filters to do that in flipkart. I thought I could get somewhere around half a dozen models after narrowing down. But what I could is narrowing down to 25 models.

Budget - 20 - 40k (don't have choice to filter under 35k)
Processor - 3rd Gen i3 & i5 and 2nd & 3rd Gen i7 (Feel that Intel is better than AMD)
Processor speed - Minimum of 2 ghz
Memory - Minimum of 4GB
Dedicated Graphic Memory - Yes (I think this would help photoshop run smoothly)
OS - Windows
Screen size - Minimum of 15"-15.9"
Included out of stock models as well. (Guessing that those model might be available in local stores)
DVD drive - Yes
USB 3.0 - Yes

These are the 9 models. In-stock. The last one, Samsung spec seems to be good to me. What's your take on out these 9 models? or you think there are other models whom are better than these 9?
Flipkart Compare
Flipkart Compare
Samsung i5
These are the 16 models out of stock. All the i7 models in this filters are out of stock. Do you guys think he can get these models in a local store? Will it be available there? or These are too old? I don't know how old or new are these.
Flipkart Compare
Flipkart Compare
Flipkart Compare
Flipkart Compare

$hadow

Geek in making
There are two things
1. Does he have any brand preferences
If so go ahead and let him have a look at his favoured brand and if no my vote goes to Lenovo g series laptop.
2. Will he game on it.
If ni then any cars will do ample to play those multimedia stuff.
My advice wait and buy since drewali is round the corner and many new devices are coming out so the older ones will become cheap. If he can wait it is good else Lenovo.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ He is not in a hurry. He will buy it in one month period.
* No brand preference
* NO GAMING

Top Bottom