Buying advice for a 1000 VA PC UPS

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Thanks to the help of digit forum members, I had upgraded my pc to a Ryzen 5 config a couple of weeks back. I’m now looking for a good 1000 VA UPS for the build as my existing APC BR-1000G IN UPS is no longer functional due to a pcb failure and the cost of replacing the board and the battery almost equates to the cost of a new unit @ 11.5k !

I’m just looking for a backup time of about 5 minutes, needed to shut down the pc during a power failure.. Can I please get suggestions for a decent brand and model number for the same as the variants available with any brand are just too many and is confusing to choose from..

Would like to keep the spend to the barest minimum possible..

Had looked at the Numerical Digital 1000 plus V at around 6k as below but not sure of the backup time..

*www.numericups.com/ecatalogue/line-interactive-ups/digital-1000-plus-v/digital-1000-plus-v

The ‘runtime chart’ in the below link is not understandable as the back time changes with the battery configuration and I’m not sure of the actual battery configuration in the model.

*www.numericups.com/sites/default/f...tiveUPS_Digital1000Plus_brochure_042020_0.pdf

Any other recommendations would also be helpful to make an informed decision.. TIA..

Even though it has some negative reviews, I went ahead with APC BX1100 for 6k around 2 years back. It lasts me ~20mins for web browsing, bit over 5mins for gaming. I just couldn't get enough info on good alternatives around 6k. Numeric, V Guard, etc are big names, but not enough online presence in form of reviews. Zebronics, etc have low quality battery in my experience.

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
I spoke to a local electronics repair shop and was told that the UPS will not turn ON if the battery is dead / removed !
This changes the entire scenario here wherein the unit can be brought back to life by just changing the batteries.. The APC tech though claimed otherwise.. that the unit will still turn ON even without the battery..

Any opinions on this?

I spoke to a local electronics repair shop and was told that the UPS will not turn ON if the battery is dead / removed !
This changes the entire scenario here wherein the unit can be brought back to life by just changing the batteries.. The APC tech though claimed otherwise.. that the unit will still turn ON even without the battery..

Any opinions on this?
PCB failure will make the UPS not turn on, but UPS should turn on even with no battery like how a laptop works, but I can't be 100% sure of this. Talk to local guy & ask him to check with spare battery if he has one.

I think spare batteries are like 1.5k per battery for 1kVA units, assuming there are 2 batteries.

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Sadly, the UPS did not turn on with a new battery. The third party service guy has quoted 7k (3k for the battery & 4k for the board repair)
It is claimed that there is an issue with the charging circuit of the board and is offering a service warranty of 1 month..
Not sure if i shall go ahead with the repair or purchase a new one (Numeric digital 1000 plus V model) for around 6k..

Sadly, the UPS did not turn on with a new battery. The third party service guy has quoted 7k (3k for the battery & 4k for the board repair)
It is claimed that there is an issue with the charging circuit of the board and is offering a service warranty of 1 month..
Not sure if i shall go ahead with the repair or purchase a new one (Numeric digital 1000 plus V model) for around 6k..
Why is repair even in consideration? Get a new one

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Having been a APC loyalist for more than 2 decades now, I honestly seem to have lost confidence with this brand where the equipments do not last for more than a max of 4-5 years with a pcb/similar defect.. and just being use and throw components…

Hopefully, other / indian brands will last longer as well as being easy on the pocket with better serviceability…!

Having been a APC loyalist for more than 2 decades now, I honestly seem to have lost confidence with this brand where the equipments do not last for more than a max of 4-5 years with a pcb/similar defect.. and just being use and throw components…

Hopefully, other / indian brands will last longer as well as being easy on the pocket with better serviceability…!
As I said in the beginning, APC has its issue but others are worse.

My flatmate's Numeric 1kVA UPS is a good example, purchased for 5k. This has lower battery life & can't handle 400-420W load of gaming. My friend initially had a 15W 1080p monitor with his 3700X + 2070S rig, which he later upgraded to Samsung G7, which consumed 45W. After the upgrade his UPS will trip when there's a power cut. I have an energy meter, so checked his power draw, not close to 600W that is supposed to be the limit.

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Do you remember what was the exact power draw? When I checked with the numeric guy, he said a load of 450-500w would only give me a backup of about 5~10 mins..

Omg.. a 600w ups tripping at a load of 400w.. that’s bad to hear.. looks like the bx1100c is my only option then.. thank you..
Exactly. He uses an additional 600VA UPS for his monitor which draws 45-50W. His main 1kVA UPS is now not tripping on gaming load at least. But he can't run his PC with normal web browsing for like 15-20mins like I can.

Top Bottom