Buying a Laptop (50K)

$hadow

Geek in making
Got mine when Flipkart started selling it - got the one with faulty touchpad and had to wait for long to get it back serviced :mad: So just make sure that you get the recent batch.

Seriously, you'd be fine for a long time with i7 3rd gen, given your requirements. If you keep waiting, you'll keep on waiting, obviously. Just buy something that fits your requirements (and from what I gather Lenovo Y500 does) and get on with it :)

Most games will run good with 3rd gen - it's mostly the GPU that matters. And Y500 has an ultrabay, so there's an option for an additional graphic card if you need it later sometime.

PS: If it's of any help - I use mine for video editing, Photoshop, and moderate gaming too and haven't had a glitch after I got my touchpad fixed. Everything works great :)

Seriously this is something which is making me again and again about y500. My exams are getting over on 1st june and I want a gaming lappy ASAP. But since lenovo launched 750m y500 and also haswell is coming on so i am just not able to make a call since 650m is also downshifted to class 2.
These things are really playing in my mind coz I want something which can go on for at least 3 to 4 years without any problem.

deadzone

Journeyman
Its wiser to wait for 2-3 months and buy....

All these laptops would be updated.Moreover even if you don't need the has well,you can get current ones under clearance.

BTW flipkart has permanently discontinued lenovo Y500 and Z500

$hadow

Geek in making
Its wiser to wait for 2-3 months and buy....

All these laptops would be updated.Moreover even if you don't need the has well,you can get current ones under clearance.

BTW flipkart has permanently discontinued lenovo Y500 and Z500

Fk does have a habit of firstly declaring a product dead and then some how revives it well joke apart. This time may be this discontinuation is for good and it may be because of 750m series coming to India. let us wait and just watch and hope for the best........

n3rd

In the zone
Seriously this is something which is making me again and again about y500. My exams are getting over on 1st june and I want a gaming lappy ASAP. But since lenovo launched 750m y500 and also haswell is coming on so i am just not able to make a call since 650m is also downshifted to class 2.
These things are really playing in my mind coz I want something which can go on for at least 3 to 4 years without any problem.
Upto you mate. As I said, if you play the waiting game, you'll keep on waiting. Plus, if needed, you could upgrade to 750M later with ultrabay. Most games I'm aware of run smooth on Y500 already tbh.

You'll be safe with 3rd gen i7 for 2-3 years IMO :)

$hadow

Geek in making
Upto you mate. As I said, if you play the waiting game, you'll keep on waiting. Plus, if needed, you could upgrade to 750M later with ultrabay. Most games I'm aware of run smooth on Y500 already tbh.

You'll be safe with 3rd gen i7 for 2-3 years IMO :)

Yeah then I think that a lenovo y500 is coming in my hands as soon as possible.

OP
rohanz

rohanz

Journeyman
I contacted Flipkart and they said that Y500 is out of production so it won't come in stock.
Really? Maybe production of GT650 models has been stopped?
Anyways I'll go to Nehru place on friday and if I get a good deal there (less than 65k plus 2 yr warranty) I'll buy it.
I will have to use this laptop for 3-4 years, do you guys suggest buying now or waiting? (I hate the waiting game, new tech comes every month) I really think haswell laptops will take a while, but waiting for GT750 model seems to be worth it.(?) Now only if I get to the release date :|

deadzone

Journeyman
Waiting kills

Yes if you get that deal for Y500,then you can buy.

I don't think that till June end haswell and/or Y500 GT750m will come in India.

Also GT750m Is some 25% faster than GT650m.

n3rd

In the zone
I contacted Flipkart and they said that Y500 is out of production so it won't come in stock.
Really? Maybe production of GT650 models has been stopped?
Anyways I'll go to Nehru place on friday and if I get a good deal there (less than 65k plus 2 yr warranty) I'll buy it.
I will have to use this laptop for 3-4 years, do you guys suggest buying now or waiting? (I hate the waiting game, new tech comes every month) I really think haswell laptops will take a while, but waiting for GT750 model seems to be worth it.(?) Now only if I get to the release date :|

Don't think so - I guess they ran out of stock, that's all. As I said, GT750 is available on ultrabay, so if you need to upgrade, you can do it later. Seems a bit pointless though, because this seems to run almost all latest games without any hassles already. My 2c obviously.

$hadow

Geek in making
Don't think so - I guess they ran out of stock, that's all. As I said, GT750 is available on ultrabay, so if you need to upgrade, you can do it later. Seems a bit pointless though, because this seems to run almost all latest games without any hassles already. My 2c obviously.

this is so true coz when you contact lenovo cc they will either put you on hold or transfer your call or end up on your call unanswered. Gt750m is still a dream for Indians if you can import it from US is well and good.
by the way nerd how is the fps on gaming, have you tried crysis 3 on it?

OP
rohanz

rohanz

Journeyman

GT750 is available on ultrabay but you can't connect it with a laptop with GT650, only like graphic cards can form a SLI.
I think this is the best laptop in this price range, I just hope to get a good deal.

n3rd

In the zone
this is so true coz when you contact lenovo cc they will either put you on hold or transfer your call or end up on your call unanswered. Gt750m is still a dream for Indians if you can import it from US is well and good.
by the way nerd how is the fps on gaming, have you tried crysis 3 on it?

Nope, I tried BioShock infinite with no frame drops w/ medium in FHD. I obviously have just 1 650M, not two since I have no need for it ATM. Don't game all that much now, but if you want me to, I could probably try Crysis 3 out.

GT750 is available on ultrabay but you can't connect it with a laptop with GT650, only like graphic cards can form a SLI.
I think this is the best laptop in this price range, I just hope to get a good deal.
Yeah true. Wouldn't it be possible to just use the ultrabay card though?

OP
rohanz

rohanz

Journeyman
Nope, I tried BioShock infinite with no frame drops w/ medium in FHD. I obviously have just 1 650M, not two since I have no need for it ATM. Don't game all that much now, but if you want me to, I could probably try Crysis 3 out.

Yeah true. Wouldn't it be possible to just use the ultrabay card though?

Can you try crysis 3 and post the results?
I guess but the performance will not be worth the money, it would be better to run two 650 instead

You can't do that..... We can only put a GT650M ultrabay for SLI, two different GPUs are not compatible with each other

Can you try crysis 3 and post the results?
I guess but the performance will not be worth the money, it would be better to run two 650 instead

Crysis 3 in FHD resolution with med-high settings: 40-50 fps

OP
rohanz

rohanz

Journeyman
I'll post screenshot after 2 days....... now travelling via train.....network not consistent

Do post the screenshots!
I got the Y500 for 64.8K with a cooling pad (cooler pad - local company) from computer empire. It came with Windows 8 which sucks :|. I am not a fan of the touch pad, it doesn't have proper multi-touch capabilities.
I have a few questions but I'll ask them in the Y500 thread. Thanks everyone for helping me choose this laptop.

deadzone

Journeyman
Do post the screenshots!
I got the Y500 for 64.8K with a cooling pad (cooler pad - local company) from computer empire. It came with Windows 8 which sucks :|. I am not a fan of the touch pad, it doesn't have proper multi-touch capabilities.
I have a few questions but I'll ask them in the Y500 thread. Thanks everyone for helping me choose this laptop.

PM me the contact details of the shop in Nehru place

The touchpad is elan or synaptic ?

KyleSforza

Banned
Seriously, wait for haswell. The third gen intel i7 is heating up A LOT! Even y500 users are facing 60C on idle.

Third gen processors are a curse to laptop gaming when it comes to temperatures. :/

Edit : Oh wait you already bought it. Gratz for your new purchase! Do post some benchs! :D

$hadow

Geek in making
Seriously, wait for haswell. The third gen intel i7 is heating up A LOT! Even y500 users are facing 60C on idle.

Third gen processors are a curse to laptop gaming when it comes to temperatures. :/

Edit : Oh wait you already bought it. Gratz for your new purchase! Do post some benchs! :D

The one I got is for my cosin brother and we both study in the same college and same stream i.e. CS. Now since exams are over I am going to get a machine for my self also for going through the next 3 years of my college, that is why I am not sure either to wait or go with it. If similar condition would have come say 1 month ago I would have already got one.

OP
rohanz

rohanz

Journeyman
PM me the contact details of the shop in Nehru place

The touchpad is elan or synaptic ?

Synaptic. Just ask for a model manufactured on or after April 2013.
Search for Computer Empire on google, they are on google maps too.

I could wait but, it would take at least 3 months for Haswell laptops to come out and then another 5-8 months for a laptop in this price range to launch and the price to stabilize.