Buying a Laptop (50K)

rohanz

Journeyman
1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)

Rs. 50K​

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen​

3) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

No preference, but after sales should be good.​

4) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

I will use it for casual gaming, photo and video editing, building ROMs every once in a while and watching movies.
Also I will make it dual boot with Ubuntu.​

5) What screen resolution(s) & type (glossy/matte) would you prefer?

Resolution : 900p (1080p preferred). Matte preferred but should not effect image quality much.

6) Anything else you would like to say? (eg: local purchase, ASS,matte/glossy finish)

RAM : 6Gb (8Gb preferred)

Last edited:
OP
rohanz

rohanz

Journeyman
Also thinking about Lenovo Y500
I am going well over my budget :p

Who give better service Samsung or Lenovo?

OP
rohanz

rohanz

Journeyman
You guys know if Lenovo is going to release the model with GT750M (and SSD?) anytime soon? Also is the screen glossy or matte? Do you guys know if its colours are better than the samsung one? (Don't tell me about the resolution difference, I know that)
Also any idea about pricing at brick and mortar stores?

n3rd

In the zone
You guys know if Lenovo is going to release the model with GT750M (and SSD?) anytime soon? Also is the screen glossy or matte? Do you guys know if its colours are better than the samsung one? (Don't tell me about the resolution difference, I know that)
Also any idea about pricing at brick and mortar stores?
a. Probably, not sure.
b. Screen is glossy.
c. There's no massive difference between 720p and 1080p - there is obviously some difference, but that shouldn't be a dealbreaker or anything.
d. Contrast ratio (I'm guessing that's what you mean by "better colors"), Lenovo has better (450:1 vs 123:1) contrast ratio.

OP
rohanz

rohanz

Journeyman
a. Probably, not sure.
b. Screen is glossy.
c. There's no massive difference between 720p and 1080p - there is obviously some difference, but that shouldn't be a dealbreaker or anything.
d. Contrast ratio (I'm guessing that's what you mean by "better colors"), Lenovo has better (450:1 vs 123:1) contrast ratio.

I'll get the Y500 then. Where'd you get yours from?
I live in Delhi and am planing to buy one from Nehru place, any specific shop you guys suggest?

$hadow

Geek in making
I live in Delhi and am planing to buy one from Nehru place, any specific shop you guys suggest?

when you got one do quote the price along with shopkeeper name here

deadzone

Journeyman
Rohanz,

I am too planning to buy lenovo y500 from Delhi.I haven't made up my mind yet.

Check flipkart,there is a offer going and you can get for 64k + 1 year additional warranty

sanemate

Broken In
You can get it from Flipkart if you are comfortable buying it online, for 61k (today additional 5% off on electronics + 5% off on some credit cards and net banking). Unless you are getting it cheaper in Nehru Place that is.

OP
rohanz

rohanz

Journeyman
You can get it from Flipkart if you are comfortable buying it online, for 61k (today additional 5% off on electronics + 5% off on some credit cards and net banking). Unless you are getting it cheaper in Nehru Place that is.

Rohanz,

I am too planning to buy lenovo y500 from Delhi.I haven't made up my mind yet.

Check flipkart,there is a offer going and you can get for 64k + 1 year additional warranty

I thought of buying it from FK but it is out of stock. I don't think they'll get new stock as users complained of faulty touch pad (they must have lost a lot replacing all those laptops) Also till yesterday there was an additional 5% discount on electronics.
Now there is just the 5% off on credit card.

$hadow

Geek in making
I thought of buying it from FK but it is out of stock. I don't think they'll get new stock as users complained of faulty touch pad (they must have lost a lot replacing all those laptops) Also till yesterday there was an additional 5% discount on electronics.
Now there is just the 5% off on credit card.

that was a monday mania offer which fk has started 5 weeks ago. Every monday they are giving disc on one or another article.

rider

as Kratos
If you are not in hurry. It's better to wait from a month or so. Intel 4th gen Haswell processors are coming.

$hadow

Geek in making
If you are not in hurry. It's better to wait from a month or so. Intel 4th gen Haswell processors are coming.

yeah that is true but no manufacturer has yet confirm the launch of next gen laptops in the month of june yet. So the person may have to wait for the next 2 months on the least side. Along that there is quiet a chance of price of these laptops coming down and can make them a good deal to buy

rider

as Kratos
yeah that is true but no manufacturer has yet confirm the launch of next gen laptops in the month of june yet. So the person may have to wait for the next 2 months on the least side. Along that there is quiet a chance of price of these laptops coming down and can make them a good deal to buy

Apple is going to refresh their macbook pro lineups from 10 June. Soon all other manufacturers will launch in July/Aug.

$hadow

Geek in making
Apple is going to refresh their macbook pro lineups from 10 June. Soon all other manufacturers will launch in July/Aug.

then this could mean i also have up my purchase till august probably. But still one question arises that when a person is going with a discrete gpu then how much does it going to affect him weather he has 3rd gen or 4th,. just a question out of curiosity.

n3rd

In the zone

Got mine when Flipkart started selling it - got the one with faulty touchpad and had to wait for long to get it back serviced :mad: So just make sure that you get the recent batch.

then this could mean i also have up my purchase till august probably. But still one question arises that when a person is going with a discrete gpu then how much does it going to affect him weather he has 3rd gen or 4th,. just a question out of curiosity.

Seriously, you'd be fine for a long time with i7 3rd gen, given your requirements. If you keep waiting, you'll keep on waiting, obviously. Just buy something that fits your requirements (and from what I gather Lenovo Y500 does) and get on with it :)

Most games will run good with 3rd gen - it's mostly the GPU that matters. And Y500 has an ultrabay, so there's an option for an additional graphic card if you need it later sometime.

PS: If it's of any help - I use mine for video editing, Photoshop, and moderate gaming too and haven't had a glitch after I got my touchpad fixed. Everything works great :)

Top Bottom