Status
Not open for further replies.

neerajmenon

Right off the assembly line
I bought an XFX 9600gt 512 in december last year.And a few days back it blew up burning my mother board in the process.The motherboard warranty is definitely voided.

I know that graphic card manufacturers do not replace bunt products,but the customer care guy says it burnt out due to the card being seated in the PCI-e slot wrongly.
Here are my doubts-

1-If a card was seated improperly,would it function for 6 months without a single blue screen,crash or other issues?

2-The card was bought for watching movies.If a card such as the 9600 gt blows up while playing movies 2-3 hrs a day,what cahnce to the high end cards have?

3-I had a 500w PSU which meets the requirements specified by the manufacturer.Any problem there?

Please help me out.I already have a hole in my pocket replacing my motherboard.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
I bought an XFX 9600gt 512 in december last year.And a few days back it blew up burning my mother board in the process.The motherboard warranty is definitely voided.

I know that graphic card manufacturers do not replace bunt products,but the customer care guy says it burnt out due to the card being seated in the PCI-e slot wrongly.
Here are my doubts-

1-If a card was seated improperly,would it function for 6 months without a single blue screen,crash or other issues?

2-The card was bought for watching movies.If a card such as the 9600 gt blows up while playing movies 2-3 hrs a day,what cahnce to the high end cards have?

3-I had a 500w PSU which meets the requirements specified by the manufacturer.Any problem there?

Please help me out.I already have a hole in my pocket replacing my motherboard.

was your card sing sloted?

also whats your PSU? 500W says too little. brand & the particular series is needed.

VarDOS

15.0 GHz
^yes, it could also be happened if your PSU is local. Some voltage fluctuation or increase in the current flow or over heating due to summer...

ajai5777

Youngling
From his name I think he is from kerala.No one uses branded PSU here all are using 500bucks SMPS.Also 9600GT needs PCIe connector.So PSU might be the culprit.

OP
N

neerajmenon

Guys,my smps is a VIP-500w.

What is a PCI-e connector?Are you refering to the slot on the motherboard?Or a connector to be connected to the power supply?

ajai5777

Youngling
Then Its not PSU problem.You got a good PSU.PCIe connector is the power supply to the graphics card.Its a 6 pin connector.If your card is a low power edition, then you wont need PCIe connector.But in case your card is normal and you ran it with out PCIe connector, there is a possibility of a disaster.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
It is highly probable due to the VIP 500W PSU. That would not sustain clean / ripple free power, required for the high pull which the 9600GT would require. That VIP is desi, and is bad.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Guys,my smps is a VIP-500w.

What is a PCI-e connector?Are you refering to the slot on the motherboard?Or a connector to be connected to the power supply?

PSU is the main cause of your burnout.

^^
It is highly probable due to the VIP 500W PSU. That would not sustain clean / ripple free power, required for the high pull which the 9600GT would require. That VIP is desi, and is bad.

+1. VIP or Zebronics or iBall. 500 or 600W. they can't b trusted. specially when PC includes a graphics card. add to it, it requires external power.

OP
N

neerajmenon

No the card id not have an external pci-e connector for power.Still the PSU's fault?

I am screwed either way right?No chance of a replacement?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
No the card id not have an external pci-e connector for power.Still the PSU's fault?

I am screwed either way right?No chance of a replacement?

yes. don't go by the names. GOLD or Platinum. all these are bad & not upto the mark of international standards. so it matters little if you got 500W PSU from VIP or other sub par brand. it'll go bad.

VarDOS

15.0 GHz
^as said, never trust the names. I only trust PSU's from Corsair, Antec, Cooler Master - Extreme Power. Even though I own a Local PSU :D.

I think you are screwed, no chance of replacement (Its a physical damage)

rahulkay

Broken In
Hi menon,
I too had similar incident with my ATI card. I don't think any of above is cause. I think it is the gfx card fan! As it was the case with me. My MSI card's fan got stuck due to dirt or some other reason. I myself checked that. these cards don't have any sensing with their fans so that one would know about card's over heating. Actually there was no fire hazard in my case, it was just the graphics processor burnt off. I think same happened to you. My PSU is running fine (I am running my computer w/o graphics card).

cooldip10

In the zone
I have got my gfx card burnt twice and my smps blew too both the time. I had to fight a bit and got both replaced.

But the smps that I got in replacement was pathetic. I had to buy a new one though. Due to Monetary constraints, I had to opt for a Zebronics 500W. Luckily it is still working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom