Building Used Dual Xeon Workstation from ebay

cgtoolbox

Right off the assembly line
hi friends....

I already own AMD FX 8350 (8 core) as my working computer

I want a 24 hour rendering machine, so i can off load my renders on that machine
and continue working on my AMD machine

I am planning to buy a dual xeon X5650 processor which are available cheap on ebay.com
not on ebay.in......

I want to ask is it advisable to buy from ebay.com because i can get two X5650 processors for under $200
and LGA 1366 motherboard for around 100-150 $ which is dirt cheap considering it will be 12 core 24 thread rendering monster.....

Will i have to pay for the import duties.....which i dont mind bcoz even with import tax it will come quite cheap
and finally i hope it is legal to import processor and motherboard from United States via ebay.com

Any information or experience regarding this will be very helpful

Thanks

OP
C

cgtoolbox

Right off the assembly line
Hi...
I am not asking for a new computer.....just want opinions from people who have bought parts from ebay.com USA
is it worth going that route.....bcoz there are a lot of cheap xeon processors and motherboards available there.....
if anyone has had any experience buying from there .... and what are the bottlenecks....like customs etc....

But if details about buying different parts is really required than here goes...

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Building a rendering machine ....dual xeon x5650 processor based (used will also do) cost is the main factor here.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 60-70k

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: windows 7

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1 TB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No Monitor

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Would like a dual xeon setup 6+6=12 cores

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Within a month

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes i have built computers before

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Mumbai.....would prefer to buy from ebay.com

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Already mentioned above....

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
Importing ist a problem, you can import it without any problems. If you wanna skip the customs charge, ask someone you know to buy it there and open up all the boxes and bring it in.

Top Bottom