Building gaming rig for GTS 250 and CM extreme 600W - suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bippukt

In the zone
Hi, I bought (as per suggestions here :) ) a GTS 250 512MB and CoolerMaster Extreme 600W about a month ago and now I am upgrading my system, a 4 year old P4 based. I will mainly use it for gaming and image processing. My current PC can't even give me 100 fps in CS and I won't use my gfx card with it as there is no point to it.

I will keep the following from my current system:
-GTS 250 512 MB
-PSU CM Extreme 600W (contrary to its name, it is just passable, it seems)
-LG 14" LCD display with max resolution@1440X900
-160 GB SATA HDD. I might junk the old 80GB though.
-Logitech keyboard and mouse.

My budget is around 20-23k, which should be sufficient, but some additions are possible :)

Preferences - I prefer Intel but if the price advantage for an AMD is sufficient, I will go for it too. I am thinking of the following:

- CPU - I am thinking of going for a Q9550, as it has 12 MB cache and good clock speed. It will be perfect for gaming, but I am not sure of the price. Other Q9000 series porcessors could be opted for if cheaper/necessary.
-A compatible motherboard. Not sure how much it will cost and if I should go for a cheap one or a better one. NO OVERCLOCKING for me!
-A good but cheap cabinet without a good PSU.
-4 GB DDR3 RAM, but if necessary (and compatible with a Quad Core mobo), I can settle for a 4GB DDR2 RAM as well.
-A good 500GB HDD. No point in having a fast system with an old HDD.

If necessary and if budget left, I could also go for:
- A new and cheap DVD-R drive
- Decent speakers (1-1.5k only!) (I have a good Philips headphone for my games, BTW :)
- A sound card?

BTW, will my PSU be sufficient to run a system like this?

Also, should I wait for some time for the i3/i5 to come out? Will they be cheaper/better than the quad core?

I know that this is a long post, but I don't want to make a mistake with this one. I am regretting buying the CM 600W extreme PSU. All suggestions are welcome. Please feel free to make drastic changes to any of my mentioned preferences :)

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
your rig can drive games at 1440x900 for few more months. Just wait for Core i5 and get it. Don't do any upgrade in a hurry now.

OP
B

bippukt

In the zone
Would the i5 be better than the Q9000 series? It will only have 8MB cache as compared to Q9000's 12 MB and similar clock speeds.

If you have a good link for information about i5, please post it. I couldn't come up with anything solid by Googling.

Krow

Crowman
The Q9000 series will lack further support. The i5 will be upgradeable in the future as the P55 socket will stick around for a while. So if you feel like upgrading in the future, you will have to buy both a proc and a mobo if you buy a Q9xxx proc now.

What are your needs? If gaming only, settle for the Phenom II X3 720 BE @ 7.5k or even the Phenom II X2 545 @ 5k. If you are into video encoding, image processing etc go for the Phenom II X4 940 @9.7k or the 920 @ arnd 9k(if you dnt want OCing)

Mobo: MSI 770-C35@5k

Cabinet: CM Elite 334 @ 2k

HDD: Seagate 7200.12 1TB @ 4.4k/500GB @2.7k

LG/Samsung DVD RW - 1k

Onboard sound - free

Ask Desiibond for the speakers. He's the guru. :)
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
If you upgrading now, get AMD. But i think you should wait for core i5 as that will start another price war and thou shall benefit.

Last edited:
OP
B

bippukt

In the zone
Ah yes, the price wars! I had forgotten about that. I am definitely waiting for a few more months as it will almost certainly give me better value for money.

I hear rumours of i5 coming out in September but I don't think that it will be available in India before October/November. I will wait :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom