Geekism RC1
Hello,
I'm building a new PC. I have bought the following components:

1. Core i7 7700K
2. 16GB DDR4 2400 RAM
3. 512GB Intel M.2 nvme SSD 600p
4. ASUS PRIME B250M-A motherboard
5. Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO cooler

I need help deciding a suitable cabinet and SMPS for my build. The cooler itself is quite huge so I don't think a very small cabinet would be able to house it. I don't have much experience with managing airflows and stuff, so could you recommend me a general purpose good looking case that can house all of this without overheating. Also I am thinking that since I don't have a GPU on my system, a 450W SMPS should handle it. So Corsair VS Series VS450 was what I was thinking of. Could you guys please suggest? Thanks. My total budget is Rs 6000 for both.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Hello,
I'm building a new PC. I have bought the following components:

1. Core i7 7700K
2. 16GB DDR4 2400 RAM
3. 512GB Intel M.2 nvme SSD 600p
4. ASUS PRIME B250M-A motherboard
5. Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO cooler

I need help deciding a suitable cabinet and SMPS for my build. The cooler itself is quite huge so I don't think a very small cabinet would be able to house it. I don't have much experience with managing air flows and stuff, so could you recommend me a general purpose good looking case that can house all of this without overheating. Also, I am thinking that since I don't have a GPU on my system, a 450W SMPS should handle it. So Corsair VS Series VS450 was what I was thinking of. Could you guys please suggest? Thanks. My total budget is Rs 6000 for both.
Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 -4000,
Antec VP550P -4000.
Total -8000.
Never go with Corsair VS Series PSUs. They contain Chinese capacitors which are of inferior quality.

OP
Siddharthtech

Siddharthtech

Geekism RC1
:facepalm:
Why did you buy a K series processor with B250 mobo? Should've asked for suggestions before making this unwise decision.
I don't want to overclock and am happy with stock speeds. I bought a K just because it was almost similarly priced in a sale and I was planning to buy a cooler anyway.
I literally picked up the cheapest motherboard with nvme support and decent connectivity.
Is there any other downside I'm missing out?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I don't want to overclock and am happy with stock speeds. I bought a K just because it was almost similarly priced in a sale and I was planning to buy a cooler anyway.
I literally picked up the cheapest motherboard with nvme support and decent connectivity.
Is there any other downside I'm missing out?
Ryzen config would've been better and cheaper.

OP
Siddharthtech

Siddharthtech

Geekism RC1
Ryzen config would've been better and cheaper.
I'm buying components from the US, where I am getting 1700x and 7700k for the same price. And the 7700k trounces the 1700x according to most single core benchmarks. It even beats the 1800x in many of the benchmarks. I can still change my order as it hasn't shipped yet, if you could tell me the pros of a Ryzen system

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I'm buying components from the US, where I am getting 1700x and 7700k for the same price. And the 7700k trounces the 1700x according to most single core benchmarks. It even beats the 1800x in many of the benchmarks. I can still change my order as it hasn't shipped yet, if you could tell me the pros of a Ryzen system
Could you fill this:
Asking for new PC help? ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST

OP
Siddharthtech

Siddharthtech

Geekism RC1
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Computer vision and nonlinear graph optimizations for research purposes. Would be developing and working on multithreaded software (~3-4 threads)

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: Rs 50000

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Ubuntu 16.04

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: ~500GB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No. 21 inch 1080p

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: None

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Right now

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I have

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Live in West Bengal, will buy components from USA and buy SMPS, case and UPS locally.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: What are the pros of having a case from a quality dealer apart from aesthetics? If I buy a non branded Rs 1000 case and use a good power supply, would I have ANY sort of issues? Please note that my hostel room where I would keep this would not be air conditioned.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
What's the benefit of buying from US? You won't get India warranty and you will have to pay customs.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Budget -52.3K

AMD Ryzen 5 1400 -13000,
Asus Prime A320M-K -5000,
Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2400Mhz DDR4 -4500,
Corsair SPEC-01 -3500,
Zotac GTX1050 2GB -9000,
Antec VP550P -4000,
WD Caviar 1TB Blue (WD10EZEX) 7200RPM -3500,
LG 22MP68VQ 22" LED IPS -9000,
Logitech MK200 -800.
TOTAL -52,300.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ Come on! You're completing ignoring his opening post.

@ OP, minding your opening post, all you can fit in this budget is i5 7400/7500 rig. If you think you can get better config if you buy from US, remember you have to pay shipping+custom duty which will bring the bottom number well over budget and not to mention local warranty.

OP
Siddharthtech

Siddharthtech

Geekism RC1
I understand. Thanks @nac. I will pay customs then, as I am relocating to the US for higher education in an year's time anyway.

I seriously thought that I could buy a few items for personal use under 800usd without customs. :/

OP
Siddharthtech

Siddharthtech

Geekism RC1
Oh sorry, I think you misunderstood me. I am currently in the US and am planning to bring them along in my luggage in a week's time. Could I now buy them without duty considering the value is under 800 usd?

ssb1551

Technomancer
Yes, you can get them to India without paying customs - You just have to open the sealed box. I mean when you are at the Customs make sure the component boxes aren't sealed. When I landed at Chennai from KL they didnt even check any of mu luggage. Since that was my 1st time I myself went to 1 of the Customs counter and asked if there are any form/s I should fill out. The guy told me that unless you carry something big (for example a TV bigger than 36" they dont check). But just to be safe just open the sealed boxes and they will not ask you for any customs.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Oh sorry, I think you misunderstood me. I am currently in the US and am planning to bring them along in my luggage in a week's time. Could I now buy them without duty considering the value is under 800 usd?
I would keep my fingers crossed. I have heard stories from both the sides, it's all about luck.
For $800, yeah sure you can get 7700k build. Ryzen would be slightly cheaper and better, but it's alright since you have already placed the order and it's on the way. Buy PSU from US, why skipping that. The same PSUs here are either unavailable or expensive. Get 80+ bronze rated PSU from Seasonic or EVGA. You can get cabinet here in local.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Oh sorry, I think you misunderstood me. I am currently in the US and am planning to bring them along in my luggage in a week's time. Could I now buy them without duty considering the value is 800 USD?

Get this Config from the US:
Oh sorry, I think you misunderstood me. I am currently in the US and am planning to bring them along in my luggage in a week's time. Could I now buy them without duty considering the value is 800 USD?
Yes, You can get them through customs by opening the sealed boxes and make them look like they are used a bit.

Get this Config from the US: System Build - Ryzen 5 1400 3.2GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 1050 2GB Min... - PCPartPicker

Top Bottom