Building a new PC. Need advice!

Thanks guys! :)

Here you go Harshil -

Intel i5 4690 CPU
= Rs 15000

Asus H97-Pro Motherboard
= Rs 8000

ASUS Strix Direct CU II GTX 970 GPU (Free Batman Arkham Knight game)
= Rs 25500

G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB DDR3 RAM
= Rs 3800

Seasonic S12II 520W
= Rs 4800

Samsung EVO 850 250GB SSD
= Rs 8000

Dell S2240L LED Monitor
= Rs 7750

Asus DRW-24D3ST DVD/RW
= Rs 1000

Logitec Keyboard and Mouse
= Rs 800

Total = Rs 74,650

Cheers!

Harshil, wouldn't dust be more detrimental to the GPU and CPU in the long run? Couldn't I just let the side fan vents simply allow the hot air to escape?

> Dust indeed does damage but only when you leave it there for years. You might get a bit higher temps but that's it. Significant damage is improbable. Like I said, you can use various materials such as AC filters, leggings, etc as filters too.

> Side vents are better for intake than exhaust. The general rules are to have behind and top fans as exhaust and front and size (and any others) as intake.

xtr3m3

Journeyman
i think side vents are usually used to pump air in and top air vents are used to pump air out as hot air is lighter than our normal air so it easily gets pumped out and keeps cpu cool

OP
K

Kaltrops

In the zone
So guys. For my setup (reminder) - 5 4690 3.5 ghz CPU

Asus H97-Pro Motherboard

ASUS Strix Direct CU II GTX 970 GPU

G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB DDR3 RAM

Seasonic S12II 520W PSU

Samsung EVO 850 250 GB SSD

Dell S2240L LED IPS Monitor

Asus DRW-24D3ST DVD/RW

Logitec Keyboard and Mouse

Will this APC UPS be sufficient?

APC Back-UPS BX600CI-IN UPS 600VA: Amazon.in: Electronics

The max load of my system at the wall shouldn't exceed 320w. I also don't need to much time on the backup battery, just a couple of minutes to safely shutdown.

Although I'm not really buying this for power cuts, as we don't get much of that where I live, so it's more for voltage regulation.

Thanks!

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
So guys. For my setup (reminder) -

Will this APC UPS be sufficient?

APC Back-UPS BX600CI-IN UPS 600VA: Amazon.in: Electronics

The max load of my system at the wall shouldn't exceed 320w. I also don't need to much time on the backup battery, just a couple of minutes to safely shutdown.

Although I'm not really buying this for power cuts, as we don't get much of that where I live, so it's more for voltage regulation.

Thanks!

No not at all. You need at least 1kv. So go with either APC 1Kva @ 5.5k or CyberPower 1000VA UPS @ 4.4k

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
[MENTION=315903]Kaltrops[/MENTION],^^he is right.you need a 1kva ups.your suggested system config will easily cross 400w under load & given a ups power rating as 60% of its VA rating 600VA is not enough & 800VA though enough might be cutting it close leaving little room for upgrades.also get APC ups only & try to get it offline/local shop if possible.
APC BR1100CI-IN UPS - Buy APC BR1100CI-IN UPS Online at Low Price in India - Amazon.in
*i.imgur.com/iePJcxu.png

OP
K

Kaltrops

In the zone
Thanks guys, will do. But I have a bigger problem. I assembled the PC but it won't power on.

I connected an 8 pin to the CPU side, 6+2 pin PCI E and 24 pin as well. The power light turns green and the white light on the Strix GPU turns on as well. I connected the PW sw header and when I hit the power button, nothing.

I even tried to short the pins with a screwdriver and nothing. I'm so stressed now. :/

Also - when I touched the screws in the PSU, I got shocked. Even touching the headphone jack in the front panel shocked me.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
seems like a grounding issue.take out the mobo(with processor) & place it on a cardboard/paper.now install only ram,connect psu & try to power it on(using screwdriver as well as by connecting PW sw header to cabinet).

OP
K

Kaltrops

In the zone
Can I place it on the mobo box? And do I need to take out the psu also?

- - - Updated - - -

I settled for the Corsair Carbide Spec 01 for now and will buy a more expensive one next year.

Yes you can place it on the "cardboard box" not on the static shield. You still didnt get it running? are there any sounds that come out of the motherboard?

OP
K

Kaltrops

In the zone
Ok cool. No I haven't tried again since last night. Will give it a go now. Should I take out the psu also?

- - - Updated - - -

No speaker headers with this case. Very strange. Built in?

- - - Updated - - -

seems like a grounding issue.take out the mobo(with processor) & place it on a cardboard/paper.now install only ram,connect psu & try to power it on(using screwdriver as well as by connecting PW sw header to cabinet).

So I tried that and still nothing. Only the green SB_pwr light turns on. What does this mean?

- - - Updated - - -

A little update - it was a PSU problem. Tried a different one and it booted just fine. Took it back to Prime Abgb and they're getting a replacement tomorrow.

I asked them about the earthing. They told me to get an electrician to sort that out. No need for a UPS in Colaba.

OP
K

Kaltrops

In the zone
Hey guys. So I finally got my PSU today and after setting it up, there is no sound through HDMI. When I plug my earphones to the line in jack at the back of the motherboard, there's sound. But nothing through HDMI.

When tried to listen to sound from my optical audio port on my TV and nothing.

What do I do? The HDMI cable is going straight into the hdmi port on the motherboard, not the GTX 970 because I haven't connected it yet. I wanna set everything up properly before I connect that.

I updated the drivers and still nothing. So frustrating.

Oh and I'm running the Windows 10 Insider Preview.

Thanks!

OP
K

Kaltrops

In the zone
did you selected the hdmi audio device as the default audio device in audio settings?
There was no hdmi option before. After installing the GPU, it popped up and I finally have sound!

But I have another problem now. The card is making a loud grating sound. Upon closer inspection, I found out it was the right fan touching a cable.

Should I give the card back?

*images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/25/3bca94fcbbaaf0b431e0ad290fedc436.jpg

Top Bottom