Building a Gaming rig, need suggestions

goldsmit409

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Mostly games, but I am a dev so i use Visual studio, Unity, Xamarin, multiple instances of android virtual device and other such stuff

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: well no budget as such but would love to be it as cheap as possible like 70K right now the build i have settled is around 110K

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: yes, but not on day one in future when i feel the need to harness more power

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Latest Windows

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:Not much, SSD 256Gb would do

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:i am going to use it with Sony 50W900b Full HD, no 4k or multiple moniters needed

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:totaol new build

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: as soon as i get a budget and collect funds, mostly it will be incremental build with few parts added in a while

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: This will be my first built

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: India, will buy stuff online or local seller, if I get warranty i can get it from US

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: well here it goes....

this is my first build ever so i am a total noob, I am listing out the parts i selected and the reason why i chose it. If someone has suggestions for it please do

Here is a link to pcpartpicker Intel Core i7-4790K, MSI GeForce GTX 970, Cooler Master HAF 932 - System Build - PCPartPicker

So before i start with the parts the key here is making it future proof, I know you can never be future proof in technology, but here by future proof i mean i can be able to play the latest games like Assassin's creed, COD, Crysis and other AAA titles on my Sony 50W900B (this TV is why i am building this PC) it is 1080p display no 4K for me, I am good with this till i dont know maybe 2020 i wont make a new PC, also apart from gaming i am a dev so i use Visual studio, Unity, Xamarin, multiple instances of android virtual devices at once, and almost zero video editing or creation. So i think i pretty much made my profile and usage clear.
so lets get to build

• Intel i7-4790k it will cost me 24000INR (~380$) so i was looking on i5 4690k for being deemed as best for gaming for its cost and AMD fx8350 for its 8 cores, but i chose 4790k for the only reason for being future ok like for now i think stock frequency is fine for all games n in time for like 2-3 years after if i feel it is a bottleneck i have the option for a bit overclocking and moreover it is said that dx12 games would be better in in using multiple cores and maybe use hyperthreading i dont know maybe...

• MSI Z97 gaming 7 for 15500INR(~246$) mainly because it looks good and i dont know much about mobo but as far as i know z97 are good and easy for overclocking, not that i am doing it on day one but down the line so if any other comes with a cheaper tag i would go for it

• Corsair vengence ddr3 16GB (8Gb x 2) 1866 for 13100INR (~207$) maybe i can go down for 2x 4gb for now and add 2x4gb later on if needed i think even 8gb ram is enough for my case

• Samsung 850 evo 250 gb 9350INR (~148$) because its a SSD, for more storage i have 2TB Seagate external hard disk i can make do with this, use ssd for OS programs and few of games i currently play and other stuff on external

• MSI GTX 970 4GDSTOC for 28900INR (~458$) now as far as i can see 970 is pretty good right now and later after a year or two i am looking at 970 SLI i think it again would be with me for another 2-3 years making it total 5 years i guess, and after that maybe graphics can be put down to medium settings...

• Cooler Master HAF 932 for 13850(~219$) i dont wanna spend so much on this but cant find any other in my country maybe if you guys suggest me some specific model i can search for it here, what i want for it is, it looks good, has a window to see inside cool lightings led(not sure if is in gpu or case) and has an option for liquid cooling for if i go for overclocking i still can keep it cool

• Corsair RM650 for 8750(~138$) its 80 plus gold 650W modular, i think it should cater all my needs including SLI when i upgrade...

so thats pretty much my list and i know i did not put fans and cpu cooler just yet because it will be a step by step rollout, i dont think i can afford going all in

so first i am gonna setup cpu, MOBO and other stuff to get it started till here i stick to stock cooler then when i get a graphic card within next 2-3 months, this way i can also be sure to get a new gpu if dx12 has any new H/W dependent feature that i may miss with 970 along with it i will get some good cpu cooler, if budget permits a liquid cooler, if temps are going high few other fans or liquid cool , else will hold on for more fans until i get SLI.

so what do u guys think is it a good bet to keeping gaming easily until 2020, and after that i turn down from max to med setting for few more years. Its hard to say what tech is going to change in all these years, maybe i hit a lottery and i get titan black ;), but apart from that will i survive this, or is it just a overkill for now and not gonna last long in future...

thanks guys look to see your comments

asciif00

Broken In
Intel Core i7-4790K, Asus GeForce GTX 970, Deepcool TESSERACT SW - System Build - PCPartPicker

ProcessorIntel i5 4790K
CPU Coolerstock0
MotherboardMSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition
MemoryKingston HyperX DDR3 8 GB 1866 MHz4,100
Graphics CardAsus Strix GTX970 4GB27,300
Power Supply
SeaSonic S12II 620W
CabinetDeepcool TESSERACT SW
Internal StorageSamsung 850 EVO 250GB
Optical Drivenone
Monitornone
Keyboardnone
Mousenone
Total80,900

OP, if you want to overclock your processor, then my suggestion is to get a good aftermarket cooler.
You will need atleast a 250 gb SSD to run this setup with a few games, please note that the SSD has to be kept atleast 30% free for optimal performance.
Instead of going for Sli try to upgrade your graphics card after 3 years, that will be much more value for money.

OP
G

goldsmit409

Broken In
Well this is a nice build, brought down the cost significantly
In would definitely get a better cooler when I will overclock it
And isn't 620w power supply a bit less if I do sli?
Also is there a market for used graphic card and stuff coz if I sell it after few years will i get anything? That's why was thinking of going with sli

cs4sid

Broken In
Intel Core i7-4790K, Asus GeForce GTX 970, Deepcool TESSERACT SW - System Build - PCPartPicker

ProcessorIntel i5 4790K
CPU Coolerstock0
MotherboardMSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition
MemoryKingston HyperX DDR3 8 GB 1866 MHz4,100
Graphics CardAsus Strix GTX970 4GB27,300
Power Supply
SeaSonic S12II 620W
CabinetDeepcool TESSERACT SW
Internal StorageSamsung 850 EVO 250GB
Optical Drivenone
Monitornone
Keyboardnone
Mousenone
Total80,900

Duuuude... 80k and a DeepCool Tesseract? :( ... If I was spending that much I'd get a Nzxt Phantom series case atleast

OP
G

goldsmit409

Broken In
Is it wise to spend so much on cabinet? I mean what I want is a side view panel lots of leds, not really sure of all the holes every where coz in my area there is lot of dust so more holes means more dust settling in right?

asciif00

Broken In
Is it wise to spend so much on cabinet? I mean what I want is a side view panel lots of leds, not really sure of all the holes every where coz in my area there is lot of dust so more holes means more dust settling in right?

Deepcool TESSERACT SW comes with slots for 2x120mm fans at the top and side.Please check this review(*www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcrk_5eOhrA)

hopefully the holes won't be a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Duuuude... 80k and a DeepCool Tesseract? :( ... If I was spending that much I'd get a Nzxt Phantom series case atleast

Look at my build in my sig, i ended up spending over 100K, people have different priorities with what they want the PC for, In my case it was running multiple VMware solutions.

- - - Updated - - -

Well this is a nice build, brought down the cost significantly
In would definitely get a better cooler when I will overclock it
And isn't 620w power supply a bit less if I do sli?
Also is there a market for used graphic card and stuff coz if I sell it after few years will i get anything? That's why was thinking of going with sli

Please use this calculator to find out your power consumption requirements for the Build. *www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

IMHO SeaSonic M12II-850 @ 8200 will be sufficient, but again getting an SLi steup is not VFM in the long run.

Requesting other Board members to comment on this.

OP
G

goldsmit409

Broken In
I was going through the itdepot website it's price are really cheap I think
I am going to check local dealer right now, but still according to their price the whole system will be around 90k I guess leaving sli and cpu cooler

asciif00

Broken In
I was going through the itdepot website it's price are really cheap I think
I am going to check local dealer right now, but still according to their price the whole system will be around 90k I guess leaving sli and cpu cooler

Please also consider snapdeal for price comparisons.
i7 4790K at Snapdeal = 21600
at ITdepot = 23820

rabjabber

Journeyman
by your post your budget wasnt clear to me, i assume it to be around 85k and here goes

i5 4690k
zotac gtx 970
gigabyte ga z97x
corsair vs650
corsair vengeance 4gb *2
corsair force 256 gb ssd
cooler master haf 912 w/ side window

instead of a single 256 GB ssd id recommend getting a 64 gb ssd for os and core programs and then getting a 1 tb HDD for games and movies and stuff.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
  • Intel Core i7-4790k -24000,

• MSI Z97 Gaming 7 -15500,

• Corsair Vengeance 16GB (8GB x2) 1600Mhz -9500,

• Samsung 850 EVO 250GB -9400,

• MSI GTX 970 4GDSTOC -29000,

• Cooler Master HAF 932 for 13900,

• Corsair RM650 -9000.

TOTAL -1,10,300.

cs4sid

Broken In
[MENTION=276331]goldsmit409[/MENTION] you can also check the Coolermaster n series, I bought a n300 recently, pretty satisfied with it. Cm n300 cost a little more than deepcool tesseract but its worth it, it got 4 variants-
1xusb3.0
2xusb3.0
1xusb3.0 + side window
2xusb3.0 + side window

If you want something that looks cool checkout the corsair spec series.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
go for 16 gb ram minimum.
VS, Virtual machines don't go easy on ram usage.
16gb is now the standard issue for all dev work...

OP
G

goldsmit409

Broken In
go for 16 gb ram minimum.
VS, Virtual machines don't go easy on ram usage.
16gb is now the standard issue for all dev work...

RAM wont be issue i can get that maybe after one month wont make a lot of difference, i will start with a single 8GB then i would have the option going till 32 if ever needed on future

apart from that i was thinking if I wait some more time time i think skylake are just around the corner and i have heard rumors they will replace the current processors at almost same price like 4770kdid to 4790k, dont know how much performance upgrade are we talking about but anyways once they are out like in what 3-4 months, current prices are sure to come down maybe i can put the difference in better gfx...

still thinking

key for me is longevity...

Top Bottom