Building a Gaming Rig - Need suggestions for few components

Killing Machine
Hey guys, I'm finally building a gaming rig after being married to a Dell XPS 15 laptop (with GT525M :p) for past four years and I cannot handle her anymore. Or more like, she cannot handle any of the latest games anymore. I didn't frame a budget as such, I'm just looking to build a mid-range gaming PC on which I can throw any game for the next 2-3 years.

I have already bought few components, few on the way, so I'll be needing advice on some of the components that I am yet to decide.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans:

Playing latest games like GTA V, Witcher 3, Far Cry 4 at 1080p (for now) and watching 1080p movies.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:

15-17k for:
  1. PSU
  2. Cabinet
  3. PCIe 2.0 Wireless Adapter
  4. UPS
  5. Optical drive
Can extend budget if its really worth it.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:

No.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:

Win 8.1, Win 10

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:

Planning to buy WD Caviar Black 1TB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:

No, already have Dell S2240L 21.5"

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:

Already owned / bought / in process of buying:
  • i5 4690
  • Asus H97M-E
  • Vengeance 8GB 1600
  • Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
  • Caviar Black 1TB
  • EVGA GTX 970 4GB FTW+
  • CM Hyper TX3 EVO
  • Gaming mouse, pad, keyboard already owned
  • Monitor already owned

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:

Already started purchasing and planning to wrap up by 2nd week of June 2015

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:

Yes, will be done by myself

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:

Bangalore but currently put up in the US which is where I have bought/planning to buy few components that have global warranty. Rest I am purchasing in India.
I will buy online only.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:

Yes, some info and requirements that I want to emphasize on the components. As I mentioned earlier, I am mainly looking for VFM products at the same time not too much compromising on quality, performance, reliability, ones that offer better warranty and support.

PSU - Looking for modular, GPU spec shows 500W minimum (in case with a i7 3.5GHz), GPU needs 6+8 pin combo to be noted, not going to add another GPU in future but PSU should be ready for some extensibility like adding additional drives, fans etc. Thought of Corsair CS650M, let me know your thoughts and other better VFM options. Also read that Corsair offers international warranty if purchased in the US? Can anyone confirm?

Cabinet - Mobo is mATX, I'm ok with mid-tower options, should look cool, option for neat cable management, i liked NZXT Phantom 410, please provide other options as well.

PCIe 2.0 Wireless Adapter - any good reliable product D-Link, TP-Link any ..

UPS - Need backup for at-least 15 minutes to do a graceful shutdown. Consider PSU and other load here and please suggest

Optical drive - My Dell XPS 15 has BD-R / DVD RW combo drive. Is there any cheap options like that for PC? When I search I only hit Blu-ray writers for 5k+. I have a Blu-ray collection so even I'm ok with just a plain BD-R if I can get it cheap.

Thanks guys! :)

shadem99

Broken In
Intel Core i5-4690K, Zotac GeForce GTX 970, Deepcool TESSERACT SW - System Build - PCPartPicker
What iam planning to buy...go for seasonic psu's, if you are not planning on overclocking your gpu i would suggest zotac amp extreme core edition or gigabyte g1 970x windforce, also hyper 212x evo would be a better cooler (most bang for buck wise)..not much price difference between the two,

- - - Updated - - -

deepcool kendomen for cabinet.ample dust filters, sturdy, 5 fans and see through panel..ive read some of the reviews saying phantom is flimsy and poorly built in some parts

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah

1. PSU - Seasonic SS650KM3 650w -9000,
  2. Cabinet - Antec GX300 Windowed -3700,
  3. PCIe 2.0 Wireless Adapter -D-Link PCIe Wifi Adapter -800,
  4. UPS - CyberPower BU1000 VA -4400,
  5. Optical drive - Asus 24D3ST DVD/RW -1100.
  6. TOTAL -19,000.

Alok

Adventurer
I have Corsair 650. Its good for everything you have and is a quality psu. I assume you are not planning for SLI. About RMA, I bought from India and for our country there is special warranty service (Kaizen Infotech - they are great); and if you will buy from US and live in India then you'll have to send it to Taiwan for RMA.

OP

Killing Machine
Intel Core i5-4690K, Zotac GeForce GTX 970, Deepcool TESSERACT SW - System Build - PCPartPicker
What iam planning to buy...go for seasonic psu's, if you are not planning on overclocking your gpu i would suggest zotac amp extreme core edition or gigabyte g1 970x windforce, also hyper 212x evo would be a better cooler (most bang for buck wise)..not much price difference between the two,

- - - Updated - - -

deepcool kendomen for cabinet.ample dust filters, sturdy, 5 fans and see through panel..ive read some of the reviews saying phantom is flimsy and poorly built in some parts
Thank you [MENTION=313082]shadem99[/MENTION] for your suggestions. Yes, I'm not planning to OC but I have already bought EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ (that's the highest factory clocked one in the series). Regarding cabby, I'll see what kendomen offers. I found it only in amazon.in, could you point me to any other site where available?

1. PSU - Seasonic SS650KM3 650w -9000,
  2. Cabinet - Antec GX300 Windowed -3700,
  3. PCIe 2.0 Wireless Adapter -D-Link PCIe Wifi Adapter -800,
  4. UPS - CyberPower BU1000 VA -4400,
  5. Optical drive - Asus 24D3ST DVD/RW -1100.
  6. TOTAL -19,000.
Thanks a lot [MENTION=105611]bssunil[/MENTION]. I'll look into the suggested items.

PSU - I am able to get Corsair HX750i 750W 80+ Platinum PSU for about 7600/- in the US using coupons and discounts. Can I go for it instead of Seasonic one you mentioned? That Corsair PSU is 13k in Indian sites.
UPS - I'm not finding CyberPower from any good sellers online India. Should I be checking with retail stores or is there any other alternate models that comes to your mind?

I have Corsair 650. Its good for everything you have and is a quality psu. I assume you are not planning for SLI. About RMA, I bought from India and for our country there is special warranty service (Kaizen Infotech - they are great); and if you will buy from US and live in India then you'll have to send it to Taiwan for RMA.
Thanks [MENTION=118706]Alok[/MENTION]. Yes, not planning to SLI. Check what I've mentioned about Corsair HX750i above. Shall I go for it?

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Thank you @shadem99 for your suggestions. Yes, I'm not planning to OC but I have already bought EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ (that's the highest factory clocked one in the series). Regarding cabby, I'll see what kendomen offers. I found it only in amazon.in, could you point me to any other site where available?

Thanks a lot @bssunil . I'll look into the suggested items.

PSU - I am able to get Corsair HX750i 750W 80+ Platinum PSU for about 7600/- in the US using coupons and discounts. Can I go for it instead of Seasonic one you mentioned? That Corsair PSU is 13k in Indian sites.
UPS - I'm not finding CyberPower from any good sellers online India. Should I be checking with retail stores or is there any other alternate models that comes to your mind?

Thanks @Alok . Yes, not planning to SLI. Check what I've mentioned about Corsair HX750i above. Shall I go for it?

1. You can go with Xigmatek Alfar @ 4350
2. CyberPower is available in snapdeal @ 4300
3. Its better to go with Seasonic SS650KM3 650w @7300

All prices are sourced from snapdeal as it is offering 7% discount on all computer components.

Any product if bought abroad should be sent back only for RMA so its better to buy large components here itself because of the size that needs to be shipped.

Alok

Adventurer
Thanks [MENTION=118706]Alok[/MENTION]. Yes, not planning to SLI. Check what I've mentioned about Corsair HX750i above. Shall I go for it?

Its good but 750 Watt is something overkill if you are using single GPU. 550 to 650 W is enough for your purpose. If you are not going for dual gpu in future and you are not going for overclocking , no need for 750 watt.

Last edited:

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Its good but 750 Watt is something overkill if you are using single GPU. 550 to 650 W is enough for your purpose. If you are not going for dual gpu in future and you are not going for overclocking , no need for 750 watt.

+1, agreed

OP

Killing Machine
Sorry about the delayed update guys. Was busy and kinda away from online world for a while. Finally completed my build last week. :thumbs:

Thank you [MENTION=313082]shadem99[/MENTION], [MENTION=105611]bssunil[/MENTION], [MENTION=118706]Alok[/MENTION], [MENTION=110244]Nerevarine[/MENTION] for your valuable suggestions. :) I settled down with the following items at the end.

• PSU: Corsair RM750 80 PLUS Gold Certified Fully Modular (I understand that this is overkill for my setup but as I was about to stop looking at HX750i, got a much cheaper deal for RM750, so went ahead with it)
  • Cabinet: Deepcool Kendomen Ti
  • Wireless Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN3800 N600 Dual Band
  • UPS: APC Back-UPS 1100VA
  • Optical drive: LG WH14NS40 14x Blu-ray Disc Rewriter
Few extras (that I missed to include in the purchase list initially):
  • Speakers: Logitech Z506 5.1
  • Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver 5 (I'm not going to OC here and I don't really know if this is gonna lower any extra degrees but I've had heating issues with all my cheapo builds before (5+ years back) and so I got this & ditched the stock cooler as well)

I might miss out few buddies here but thank you [MENTION=73844]gameranand[/MENTION], [MENTION=149723]gagan_kumar[/MENTION], [MENTION=295561]aniketdawn.89[/MENTION] for relentlessly answering my pings on Steam and advising me for the components. :)

I need to hunt a good mechanical gaming KB but I'm deferring it for few months until I get a bigger and better table.
Thanks a lot everyone. You guys rock. :number1:

Top Bottom