Building a Gaming PC - 2 Lakh Budget

imlokesh

Broken In
Hello all,

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')

Ans: I'm a programmer. Mainly work on Visual Studio 2013 and Adobe Photoshop.

Not a gamer currently but would love to start. As such I don't know about games I want to run. So basically latest games. I'm thinking GTA 5 when it comes out.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 2,00,000 INR. Can extend upto 20,000 more if needed.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Yes.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 8.1

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 240gb SSD and 6 TB for storage needs.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Yes I need a 1440p monitor. Not sure about size though. Please suggest.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: I have nothing to use. My current system will work as a secondary machine.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: First week of 2015.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: First build. But I want to do it myself.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: I'm in gurgaon. Can drive to Nehru Place if required. But prefer online.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I want to build an X99 machine. I'll go for Intel 5820k for now. Also, I'm thinking Corsair 780T case and Asus Strix 980 but please let me know if you have better suggestion.

Since I'm spending a lot of money, I'd like the build to also look good. So matched color components would be a plus.

Thank you very much. Waiting for you guys' input.

Don't you think your budget is too high for your requirements? Can you please elaborate on your requirements and why do you need 240 GB SSD, 6 TB HDD and X99 chipset?

OP
I

imlokesh

Broken In
Don't you think your budget is too high for your requirements? Can you please elaborate on your requirements and why do you need 240 GB SSD, 6 TB HDD and X99 chipset?

Hey thanks for replying.

Maybe the budget is high. But i don't mind saving some of that money.

Also, I need the extra cores from x99. I have to use some link building softwares that can really help from extra threads. Besides, since I've the budget, I want to go all out this time. My computer makes me money so don't want to cheap out there.

I probably don't need a 240gb ssd either. I want it just for "future proofness" i guess. 6 TB hard drive I think I need that. My current 2tb hard drive is 80% full.

I was looking and a good 1440p monitor is ~40k.

Please suggest at least a good monitor, and a 750w PSU - I have no idea about those. I'll try to figure out the configuration myself.

Thanks again.

If you need processing power, how about a Xeon?

Xeon E3 1246 V3 (20,600) @ theitdepot.con
Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H (8,770)
Kingston HyperX FURY 8 GB x2 (10,600)
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB (5,800)
Samsung 850 Pro 120 GB (8000)
Zotac GT 720 (4,100)
Seasonic S12II 520 W (5000)
Corsair 400R (5700)
Dell U2412M (17,500)
TVS-e Gold Bharat USB 2.0 Standard Keyboard (1998)
Any mouse (400)
LG Optical drive (1100)
APC Back UPS Pro 1 kVA UPS (~8000)

total: 97,568

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door
My suggestion
Core i7 5930k @42300(the extra pci lanes will help you eventually.)
Asus X99 Pro @ 25200
Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 MHz @ 28300
Asus GTX 980 Strix @ 47230
Corsair 780T @ 15000(appx,last time when i got one for one of my clients) My personal favorite will always be HAF-X
CM Silent pro M2 1000W @ 13800[try to look for the CM V1000,costlier but can do platinum efficiency ]
Kingston Hyper X 240GB @ 12500
i need to do a bit more searching on the prices of display so i will get back to you on that.

if u need any more help feel free to PM me :)

OP
I

imlokesh

Broken In
If you need processing power, how about a Xeon?

Xeon E3 1246 V3 (20,600) @ theitdepot.con
Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H (8,770)
Kingston HyperX FURY 8 GB x2 (10,600)
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB (5,800)
Samsung 850 Pro 120 GB (8000)
Zotac GT 720 (4,100)
Seasonic S12II 520 W (5000)
Corsair 400R (5700)
Dell U2412M (17,500)
TVS-e Gold Bharat USB 2.0 Standard Keyboard (1998)
Any mouse (400)
LG Optical drive (1100)
APC Back UPS Pro 1 kVA UPS (~8000)

total: 97,568

Hey man thanks for the suggestion. But I want to go with x99 only as its the latest platform. :)

My suggestion
Asus X99 Pro @ 25200
Corsair 780T @ 15000(appx,last time when i got one for one of my clients) My personal favorite will always be HAF-X
CM Silent pro M2 1000W @ 13800[try to look for the CM V1000,costlier but can do platinum efficiency ]
i need to do a bit more searching on the prices of display so i will get back to you on that.

Thank you very much man. I'll definitely pm you with a few questions. :D

Hey man thanks for the suggestion. But I want to go with x99 only as its the latest platform. :)

Thank you very much man. I'll definitely pm you with a few questions. :D

> So what if it's the latest platform? In computers nothing is latest for more than 6 months (maximum). Do you need some particular feature feature of X99 chipset?

> I'd suggest to the discussion in the thread itself as it can help someone else with same query. Taking discussions to PM is not at all healthy for forums.

Last edited:
OP
I

imlokesh

Broken In
> So what if it's the latest platform? In computers nothing is latest for more than 6 months (maximum). Do you need some particular feature feature of X99 chipset?

> I'd suggest to the discussion in the thread itself as it can help someone else with same query. Taking discussions to PM is not at all healthy for forums.

Hey man I get you. No I don't need any special feature. I've been saving for my build for some time now and I don't see any reason to hold myself back. Let's just say that I want the ultimate build in my budget for "hobbyist reasons".

I also get your other point. So here're a couple question if you or someone else can help me:

- 5820k vs 5930k The extra PCIe lanes are useful only if I decide to upgrade to another gpu right? Or some other component also uses the pcie lanes in the cpu?

- M.2 x4 What is this? I get its some kind of controller for next gen ssds. And all motherboards are advertising it as a feature. But I can't find any 32 gbps ssds anywhere.

Also Dell U2412M is not a 1440p monitor. I can at least justify this one. I need more resolution for a better workflow with Visual Studio. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thank you.

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door
Hey man I get you. No I don't need any special feature. I've been saving for my build for some time now and I don't see any reason to hold myself back. Let's just say that I want the ultimate build in my budget for "hobbyist reasons".

I also get your other point. So here're a couple question if you or someone else can help me:

- 5820k vs 5930k The extra PCIe lanes are useful only if I decide to upgrade to another gpu right? Or some other component also uses the pcie lanes in the cpu?

- M.2 x4 What is this? I get its some kind of controller for next gen ssds. And all motherboards are advertising it as a feature. But I can't find any 32 gbps ssds anywhere.

Also Dell U2412M is not a 1440p monitor. I can at least justify this one. I need more resolution for a better workflow with Visual Studio. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thank you.

the 5930k will also help if you get any kind of pcie device..which also includes PCIE SSD's and other devices.
M.2 is an an Next Gen Form Factor M.2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

gagan_kumar

Wise Old Owl
My suggestion
Asus X99 Pro @ 25200

replace the GPU with zotac gtx 970 AMP Extreme x2 SLI for 64k

toolius

Broken In
for a 27 inch id suggest the dell U2715H.. Dell UltraSharp 27 Inch QHD Monitor ? U2715H .. but there goes your budget..
id recommend the build sumon has suggested. And yes the pci-e lanes will help if you ever add a gpu.
Also dell has the 27inch 4K display on sale here too for about 47k. Thats another you can look at but you will need 2x gup's to run that resolution.

OP
I

imlokesh

Broken In
the total is already touching 1.85l without mechanical storage :p

Yeah right, I think I'll have to stick with the 980.

for a 27 inch id suggest the dell U2715H.. Dell UltraSharp 27 Inch QHD Monitor ? U2715H .. but there goes your budget..
id recommend the build sumon has suggested. And yes the pci-e lanes will help if you ever add a gpu.
Also dell has the 27inch 4K display on sale here too for about 47k. Thats another you can look at but you will need 2x gup's to run that resolution.

Hey, I cannot find pricing on this U2715H on any indian shopping site. You have an idea how much it costs in INR?

Also, I was considering a 4k monitor. But, cannot really decide without looking at it or using it in person. The high resolution could possible bring down my productivity. I'll research more on this.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

HE-MAN

Ambassador of Buzz
acer released a new 4k ips but TN panel worth checking it out

Acer B326HK 4K IPS Monitor

toolius

Broken In
Call dell India or speak to the online chat.. The 4k dell is about 47k :) Readily available through dell India at this point of time :)

OP
I

imlokesh

Broken In
Call dell India or speak to the online chat.. The 4k dell is about 47k :) Readily available through dell India at this point of time :)

Thanks for the reply man.

I talked with dell rep, they said they need to import the U2715H. Quoted ~38k. In that case, I'll try to go for the 4k for 48k. Can you please let me know the model id of that if you know.

Also, I'm curious what monitor do you personally use? :D

Thanks again
imlokesh

Nerevarine

Incarnate
[MENTION=117227]toolius[/MENTION] [MENTION=274625]imlokesh[/MENTION]

the Dell U2715H does not have 4k , it has QHD i.e. 2560x1440 NOT 4096 x 2160
There's a massive performance gap between 1440p and 2160p and even tri sli GTX 970 cannot run some games at ultra on 2160p
However, 1440p for a monitor is absolutely fine and the best future proofing you can get as of now (1440p monitors are gonna be the new standard for gaming in a year or two)

OP
I

imlokesh

Broken In
[MENTION=117227]toolius[/MENTION] [MENTION=274625]imlokesh[/MENTION]

the Dell U2715H does not have 4k , it has QHD i.e. 2560x1440 NOT 4096 x 2160
There's a massive performance gap between 1440p and 2160p and even tri sli GTX 970 cannot run some games at ultra on 2160p
However, 1440p for a monitor is absolutely fine and the best future proofing you can get as of now (1440p monitors are gonna be the new standard for gaming in a year or two)

Yeah I know that. But if its only 10k difference, I'd go with 4k. Can you suggest any decent 2k monitor? I need at least 2k to ease my workflow.

Thanks.

Also happy new year to all!

imlokesh

Top Bottom