Building a File Server.

kamal4883

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: It will be used as a file server. No plex or transcoding needed. I will just use samba or windows sharing to view and edit office documents on my pc and stream movies on tv using amazon fire stick. It will run around 12 hrs a day when i am home.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 15000. Can spend 2000 more if i must.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Ubuntu or Open Media Vault.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: For now 1 TB will suffice. (Already have 2x1TB Toshiba V300 drives which i will run in RAID 1.) But need future expandability to add more drive if needed.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No need. The server will run headless.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Hard Disk (Already have)
Monitor (Not needed for headless server)
Keyboard and Mouse (Not needed for headless server)

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: As soon as experts suggest me some thing good.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes. 2 PC one for my self and one for my Brother. (Thanks to forum and its users)

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Online. Mostly MD Computers and Amazon

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: If Possible i would like to keep my Power consumption low. But my main focus is keeping the Budget as low as possible.

OP
K

kamal4883

Broken In
i have a build configuration in mind but not sure if it is good for building a Home File Server or Network Attached Storage.
1. CPU : AMD ATHLON 200GE APU Series Desktop Processor - (Radeon Vega 3 Graphics, 2 Core, Up To 3.2 GHz, AM4 Socket, 5MB Cache) :- 3549Rs.
2. RAM: Kingston KVR26N19S6/4 Desktop Ram Value Series 4GB (4GBx1) DDR4 2666MHz :- 1560Rs.
3. Cabinet: Antec VSK 4000B (ATX) Mid Tower Cabinet (Black) :- 2200Rs.
4. Mobo: Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H Motherboard (AMD Socket AM4/Ryzen Series CPU/Max 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Memory) :- 3830Rs.
5. PSU: Thermaltake Litepower 450W SMPS - 450 Watt PSU With PFC :- 2150Rs.

Total Cost:- 13298 + 252 (Shipping) = 13541.
** All prices are from MD Computers.

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Just wondering whether you would need cooling. 12 hours could get the PC very hot, especially now that summer is due.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
1. CPU : AMD ATHLON 200GE APU Series Desktop Processor - (Radeon Vega 3 Graphics, 2 Core, Up To 3.2 GHz, AM4 Socket, 5MB Cache) :- 3549Rs.
If possible, wait for 3000G.
Just wondering whether you would need cooling. 12 hours could get the PC very hot, especially now that summer is due.
200GE would work fine, doesn't needs heavy cooling.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I use a rock64 which is plenty for me to manage a NAS using OpenMediaVault. Sata 3 is not needed, USB 3.0 is fine, I can stream 4k Movies easily.
Most importantly costs are down, power consumption is minimal, system can run all day. but if you really need RAID, you might need some external hdd dock that can do that or need to build full system by yourself.
Only thing I wish ROCK64 had was wake-on-lan..

OP
K

kamal4883

Broken In
I use a rock64 which is plenty for me to manage a NAS using OpenMediaVault. Sata 3 is not needed, USB 3.0 is fine, I can stream 4k Movies easily.
Most importantly costs are down, power consumption is minimal, system can run all day. but if you really need RAID, you might need some external hdd dock that can do that or need to build full system by yourself.
Only thing I wish ROCK64 had was wake-on-lan..
I want to share my thoughts on Using a SBC NAS:-
I have used raspberry pi 2 and then 3 model with raspbian os but it was plagued with sd card corruption. After that i found a solution to install raspbian os in a HDD and redirect the Boot sequence from SD card to the HDD. which worked perfectly and there was no SD card corruption any more. But I have lost my data 2 times (due to HDD Corruption) on that setup before loosing raspberry pi itself. Thats why this time i want to build a proper server with raid support. Also if i include a total cost for buying a Single Board Computer NAS including Power brick, sd card, HDD enclosure, and a powered USB HUB it will cost around 6-7 thousand. so for 3 -4 thousand more if i can build a proper server it will be a lot better.

OP
K

kamal4883

Broken In
Thanks for your suggestions.
If possible, wait for 3000G.

200GE would work fine, doesn't needs heavy cooling.
I cant find 3000G anywhere. Do you have any information on when it will be available in market. Its not like i am in a super hurry to build a NAS. For now i am using my main windows PC as NAS.

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Use a router for your NAS needs. Since your requirements are basic, that would be the best option for you.
Get a good router with samba support and a USB port, attach a HDD and done! I am running this way to stream videos to mi box and to backup stuff. Works perfect.

If you can and willing to tinker consider also a openwrt supported router.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I have used raspberry pi 2 and then 3 model with raspbian os but it was plagued with sd card corruption. After that i found a solution to install raspbian os in a HDD and redirect the Boot sequence from SD card to the HDD. which worked perfectly and there was no SD card corruption any more. But I have lost my data 2 times (due to HDD Corruption) on that setup before loosing raspberry pi itself. Thats why this time i want to build a proper server with raid support. Also if i include a total cost for buying a Single Board Computer NAS including Power brick, sd card, HDD enclosure, and a powered USB HUB it will cost around 6-7 thousand. so for 3 -4 thousand more if i can build a proper server it will be a lot better.
Yes that is very unfortunate. Can you name the components, specifically the SD card that you used ? And the hard drive you used ?
I have faced hard drive corruption on my sbc Nas before, because I was using an improper enclosure with no backflow protection. Even insulating the power pin in the USB of the enclosure would do the job.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Experienced the same thing .. was using San Disk extreme SD card. Then tried 2x HDD enclosures with laptop HDD. But HDD would gpo idle afyer a certain amount of time along with data corruption. Was using it as a torrent box.

Fortunately HDD was saved. Used official Raspberry power supply ( USB charger actually ) and two types of HDD enclosures one is powered ( 3.5 inch ) and another one( USB 3.0 support ) is passively powered via USB port.

Top Bottom