bsnl bb configuration on linux

dear friends am unable to configure bsnl bb bridged connection on any linux:oops::oops::oops:, please let me know of all the possibilities to look for:-(............

6x6

Journeyman
use pppoeconf command in terminal. better is to configure modem in always on mode (PPPoE), then no settings are needed in linux.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Bridged connection sucks.
Once your machine is online and the modem is connected to your box,
open browser and put 192.168.1.1, it will ask for username and password, both should be admin.
Then configure a PPPoE connection with username and password in the WAN interfaces section.
The VPI/VCI value should be 0/32.
Delete all other connections except the one your configured. Enable NAT on the connection and disable Firewall and QoS.
That's all, you should be connected using a DHCP configuration for your linux box.
The advantage of this setup is that, it is platform independent and you can share your connection by just plugging in a 8 port (minimum, higher ones available) switch.

OP
A

azaad_shri75

BE FREE
thanks for your inputs, at least some one understands my plight, if I use always online connection , would it not consume bandwidth doing some back ground update without my knowledge?

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
It usually doesn't consume bandwidth except for a few bytes used for authenticating the connection, and also it is possible to configure the router so that it will connect if and only if your comp sends a packet.

OP
A

azaad_shri75

BE FREE
It usually doesn't consume bandwidth except for a few bytes used for authenticating the connection, and also it is possible to configure the router so that it will connect if and only if your comp sends a packet.

followed your instruction - however it did not succeed :oops:, and the modem would not connect in windows also:?: shut down the modem for some time - now its working-------???????? noob me.........

when I had static connection some 5 yrs back it was easy for me ........lol

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
followed your instruction - however it did not succeed :oops:, and the modem would not connect in windows also:?: shut down the modem for some time - now its working-------???????? noob me.........

when I had static connection some 5 yrs back it was easy for me ........lol
Oops, I forgot to mention that you need to reboot your router after setting it up :p

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
VPI and VCI for BSNL Broadband should be 0 and 35 respectively.

@OP: Try again.
hmm, but I instructed one of my friends for the same configuration and 0/35 did not work for him; 0/32 did. So I posted 0/32 in the same memory.

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
if u want always on connection

first set some static address like 192.168.1.10 for ur LAN

open brwsr...enter 192.168.1.1

in case it doesnt open a userna,e/pass windows reboot modem using needle at back of a hole in it for reset like cdrom u have a provision for ejecting

admin:admin

goto wan settings

click ppp
set ur username/passw of bsnl

alwayon
apply
no for reboot

goto
dhcp
set enable
then yes for reboot

now while rebooting
after 2-3 min
goto ur lan property
set automatically obtain ip instead of static

njoy!

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

@unknown
0/35 working

try reseting modem

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
if u want always on connection

first set some static address like 192.168.1.10 for ur LAN

open brwsr...enter 192.168.1.1

in case it doesnt open a userna,e/pass windows reboot modem using needle at back of a hole in it for reset like cdrom u have a provision for ejecting

admin:admin

goto wan settings

click ppp
set ur username/passw of bsnl

alwayon
apply
no for reboot

goto
dhcp
set enable
then yes for reboot

now while rebooting
after 2-3 min
goto ur lan property
set automatically obtain ip instead of static

njoy!

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

@unknown
0/35 working

try reseting modem
I don't use BSNL.

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
hmm, but I instructed one of my friends for the same configuration and 0/35 did not work for him; 0/32 did. So I posted 0/32 in the same memory.
Depends on your ISP.

VPI/VCI - 0/32 is for MTNL Broadband. :) And for Airtel it's 1/32.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
hello everyone & hope azad bro's problem solve cause i in mood of konquering this thread :smile: just kidding. ok getting back to topic, i recently installed Ubuntu 8.04 (had that only linux disc with me). and tried connect net through mobile GPRS. failed. in big way. so threw it out & installed Mint 8 KDE version. problem solved partially by using kppp. everything set but when i try connect i get 2 types of msg:

1. modem is not connected. or
2. modem is busy.

also before i launch kppp i get this msg: ""etc/resolve.conf missing." now is this important. please guide me connect net on Mint.

also after i exit kppp (as it displays modem buy, so exit) i get this msg: "error in /user/share/applications/kde4/kppp.desktop". is there something wrong with the installation?

PS: i a total newbie in Linux so please guide me well. i used linux a few years back for C programming in SUSE.

Other infos that may be needed:

Mobile: Motorola ROKR E6e.
modem device used: /dev/ttys0 (gave me the modem not found error)
/dev/ttys1 or s2 & s3 (gave modem busy error)
Service provider: does it really matter? India's no.1 in network from bottom. you know which sim i using :grin:

thanks everyone. hoping for a reply soon :razz:

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
^^ use gnome network manager

u have to dial the correct profile

*99***1# means dialing a.p 1 as in settings...for S.E

similar thing there for nokia

jus google it

This may cause dependency errors. You have to manually launch it and it is risky a bit.
To install gnome-network-manager and keyring-daemon(to store passwords) type :
sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome gnome-keyring && sudo apt-get remove knetworkmanager
or us this page to download network-manager and first remove knetworkmanager by [sudo apt-get remove *] and then install this one :)
Press alt+f2 and type nm-applet and add to it autostart programs.
then logout and log back in and see if that works .

Top Bottom