brothers in arms: hells highway plot help

thepredator

Right off the assembly line
I am playing brothers in arms hells highway for the first time and it is the first game also i am playing of this franchise. I know it is old but my friend suggested me to play it and said its really a good game.After playing it for a few hours i got
frustated...it looked like the whole campaign was revolving around a storyline and as i didnt played any previous games i didnt understood the plot at all and any of the previous games are not available at my city..:cry:
Can anybody explain me the plot of this game in detail plz.. thanx
REGARDS

Alok

Adventurer
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway is the third entry in the Brothers in Arms series of video games which follows the men of the 101st Airborne Division (502nd Parachute Infantry Regiment ). This game once again puts players in the role of Staff Sergeant Matt Baker during Operation Market Garden in the later stages of World War II. The game follows the 101st's assault and securing of Eindhoven, and the subsequent defense of the surrounding area from German counterattacks, which in turn leads to the countless deaths of Sgt. Baker's squad. The game also takes a more psychologial turn as Baker copes with the terrible secret behind the deaths of three of his previous squadmates, Allen, Garnett, and Legget.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
The plot of the first two games is explained in the first cutscene (the flashbacks). You only need to play Road To Hill 30 (not Earned in Blood) to understand the story.

It's about Sgt. Matthew Baker, who somehow ends up managing 13 men under his company ("Baker's dozen" = 13). The first game revolves around his experiences during World War II, the battle of Hill 30 (The Battle of Bloody Gulch) and the events following that, where he saw several of his men die, most of them younger than him.

Private Legget's story will be explained later on in Hell's Highway, as will be the fates of Allen and Garnett (all 3 are part of Baker's squad and they actually die in the first game, but the reasons for their deaths are shown only in Hell's Highway). Baker remains deeply affected by all these people's deaths, as he feels somehow responsible. In the meantime, his current squadmates question his mental health........

That's basically all the background you need to play Hell's Highway.

IMO It's one of the best war shooters I've ever played, and yes it's way better than COD ;)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did not cared much about the plot when I played this one - every WWII based games have good historical ( sometime imaginary though ) plots - the only thing that matters for me in such games are gameplay, controls and action - I've not completed the previous two BiA titles but this one is the best WWII game to me - other good WWII games are CoD2 , CoD Waw, MoH Allied Assualt, Breakthrough, Spearhead and MoH Airborne ;-)

OP
T

thepredator

Right off the assembly line
THANKS EVERYBODY!
Starting to understand the plot.....
@acceleratorX never understood the flashbacks...younger mathew gives returns the pistol to his dad but how come it comes back to him:?: :crazy:
and what that guy with spectacles has done and why baker tells him if say that secret to anyone else he will get killed???:chinscratch:

AcceleratorX

Youngling
Matt Baker's father was also a military man just like him, his parents divorced when Matt was young. You can see from the flashback's of Matt's home that his family was not poor. When his father was leaving, he decided he'd give Matt the pistol as a means to remember his father since he'd not be available always to visit Matt since he was a military man and had to attend to his postings, etc.

Matt rejects the pistol since his mother doesn't want it in the house, and also because his mother doesn't want him to become a soldier like his father.

His father died during service (it is not mentioned exactly when, but it is assumed between 1931 and 1939), holding this pistol. Sergeant Hassay ("Mac" in the game) retrieves the pistol and it is given to Matt at the funeral to keep. Since then Matt has kept the pistol with him as a memory of his father.

The deal with the pistol is that in the first two games (and even this one), anyone who holds, uses, or plays with the pistol other than Baker himself gets killed. A small part of the story revolves around this fact, causing Baker to think the pistol is cursed.

As for the spectacled guy (Legget), he is dead by the time of Hell's highway though Baker still has hallucinations of him, he also died holding the pistol, and what he did will be shown later on in the game, it was a big secret even in the past two games ;)

I did not cared much about the plot when I played this one - every WWII based games have good historical ( sometime imaginary though ) plots - the only thing that matters for me in such games are gameplay, controls and action - I've not completed the previous two BiA titles but this one is the best WWII game to me - other good WWII games are CoD2 , CoD Waw, MoH Allied Assualt, Breakthrough, Spearhead and MoH Airborne ;-)

The Brothers In Arms series has the best plot of any WWII game, hands down. The situations and desperation you find yourself in seems very real at times. At the end, I found myself caring a lot for the ultimate fate of my squadmates.

It was disheartening to see what happened to a few of them though. I hope to see more BIA games, this series is one of the shining examples of great story driven games.

Top Bottom