BREAKTHROUGH OF THE YEAR: Reprogramming Cells

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
By inserting genes that turn back a cell's developmental clock, researchers are gaining insights into disease and the biology of how a cell decides its fate
This year, scientists achieved a long-sought feat of cellular alchemy. They took skin cells from patients suffering from a variety of diseases and reprogrammed them into stem cells. The transformed cells grow and divide in the laboratory, giving researchers new tools to study the cellular processes that underlie the patients' diseases. The achievement could also be an important step on a long path to treating diseases with a patient's own cells.
*www.sciencemag.org/content/vol322/issue5909/images/small/1766-1-thumb.gif
Figure 1
CREDIT: C. BICKEL/SCIENCE

The feat rests on a genetic trick, first developed in mice and described 2 years ago, in which scientists wipe out a cell's developmental "memory," causing it to return to its pristine embryonic state and then regrow into something else. In 2008, researchers achieved another milestone in cell reprogramming. In an elegant study in live mice, they prompted cells to make the leap directly from one mature cell into another--flouting the usual rule that development of cells is a one-way street. These and other advances in tweaking cells to assume new identities add up to make the now flourishing field of cellular reprogramming Science's Breakthrough of the Year.

As the site requires registering I'm attaching the whole article here as zip.

(attachments kam kar rahe hai kaya, ab?)

OP
rhitwick

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Actually the site requires a "Free Registration" to read its contents. After Registration u can d/l the text as PDF too.
I downloaded the PDF but our forum doesn't allow more than 97KB.

I'll then post the source URL.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^yeah I read that before, may be u posted it in other thread...thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom