Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunner

Broken In
Why do you want to copy the boot.ini file ? If you're trying to install Style XP or something, it usually backs the file up on its own.

OP
shashanktyagi1

shashanktyagi1

Journeyman
was trying to change boot up scrn using tune up as given in this forum only. when tune up tried to do that it said that there is no boot.ini file and it cant do that. so i searched for that file and only found "boot.ini backup" now i want to place it in its original place. so tell how to(another thing how does my pc boot up without boot.ini file?)

Gunner

Broken In
There is a boot.ini file in every system, or your system won't boot. You have installed your OS in E, so the boot.ini will be in E:\. Just open the E:\ drive, click on tools, go to folder options and do the following :
1. Click on Hidden files and folders.
2. Uncheck the title "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" and when you get the pop-up box, click OK. There you will see the boot.ini file (Default icon is notepad icon with a gear wheel)

Kniwor

Learner
shashanktyagi1 said:
was trying to change boot up scrn using tune up as given in this forum only. when tune up tried to do that it said that there is no boot.ini file and it cant do that. so i searched for that file and only found "boot.ini backup" now i want to place it in its original place. so tell how to(another thing how does my pc boot up without boot.ini file?)

boot.ini is always in ur primary boot partition...

u could not find it because u might not have searched system files... this file remains hidden.. now to restore ur file...
open my computer and type c:\boot.ini in ur adress bar and notepad will open...
copy the contents of ur backup file here and then "ctrl+S" to save...

or u can got to tools > folder options > view and uncheck the box "Hide protected operating system files" and boot.ini will be there in c:\

Gunner

Broken In
Kniwor said:
shashanktyagi1 said:

boot.ini is always in ur primary boot partition...

u could not find it because u might not have searched system files... this file remains hidden.. now to restore ur file...
open my computer and type c:\boot.ini in ur adress bar and notepad will open...
copy the contents of ur backup file here and then "ctrl+S" to save...

or u can got to tools > folder options > view and uncheck the box "Hide protected operating system files" and boot.ini will be there in c:\

This reply I have already given in my previous post. Where was the point in posting the same thing again ? And no offence by the way.

Tech&ME

Banned
Kniwor said:
sorry my mistake...

What are you sorry for Mr. Kniwor ?

The answer which Gunner gave is wrong. Boot.ini file doesnot reside in the extended partition if it is a multiboot system.

And by default windows will always install in the first partition which usally is the C: drive until and unless you want it to be installed in the extended partiton or secondary partition say E: in this case.

So, if the OS is in E: drive there must be another OS or similar OS in the root partition or the Primary partition this is very important.

Hence, the Boot.ini file resides in the primary or root partion for all the OS , which may be in other than the root partition, as in this case which is E:

So, boot.ini file is in the C: drive only.

Now, Tuneup utilities can not find it because it never cared to search in the C: drive and it cannot do so, because the software has not been designed in such a way.

So, if you want to change the boot screen you will have to change the boot screen of your OS which is in the C: drive, and then it will work. (but not for E: OS).

I hope I am making myself clear now.

Gunner

Broken In
I am sorry. Firstly, I said I meant no offence, and secondly, incase you noticed, both of us gave the same wrong answers. So sorry anyway, and Kniwor, no offence mate. I guess it's my bad. :)

userbanned

Broken In
why u have to backup?Ok goto folder option and select the option showm hiden and system files and the click ok.After u will notice boot.ini file just copy it another and keap it safe.Any problem reply me.

OP
shashanktyagi1

shashanktyagi1

Journeyman
@tech&me well there is no OS in my knowledge in c: but yes during boot up it does show two options
windows xp home
windows(default)
i log on to default on. if i log on to first it shows error not installed properly. i was going to post it as second prob but anwer it here if u can. and secondly no other way to chnge boot scrn or what?

suave_guy

pedal to metal
click on start, right click on my computer, click on properties...it will open up system properties....click on the advanced tab...there you will find a settings button under "startup and recovery"....click on that settings button and it will open up the new window, in that windows click on the edit button
it will open up boot.ini file in notepad and it will display two line starting with "multi"
these lines are in the same order as you see the options for the o/s choices when you start the computer
delete the line for the operating sys which you dont want, in your case it will be the first "multi" line
save the file and restart the sys...

ENjoy...

OP
shashanktyagi1

shashanktyagi1

Journeyman
this is what came out and also plz answer my original query. can i change my boot scrn or not?
here only one os is mentioned. windows(default) i saw it for the first time.
[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut

Tech&ME

Banned
shashanktyagi1 said:
this is what came out and also plz answer my original query. can i change my boot scrn or not?
here only one os is mentioned. windows(default) i saw it for the first time.
[boot loader]
timeout=0
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut

No you cannot change your boot screen if you have your OS in E: drive.

If you have your OS in the C: drive (primary partition) then only you can change your boot screen using TuneUp utilities.

So, what you will need to do is first install Windows XP on the C: drive again and then boot into it and then change the boot screen using Tune Up Utilities.

A word of caution here :

Your present boot.ini file is wrong which is in the C: drive .
It should read as follows:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut

Now, you will not get any Choice Menu during boot up and your comp will directly boot into the OS which is in the E: drive.

Kniwor

Learner
Gunner said:
I am sorry. Firstly, I said I meant no offence, and secondly, incase you noticed, both of us gave the same wrong answers. So sorry anyway, and Kniwor, no offence mate. I guess it's my bad. :)

well i might have said sorry without reading ur post, i dont mean an offense here but nothing that i said in my post was wrong... read my post carefully... it clearly says that boot.ini stays in primary boot partition...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom