Book : Computer Networks

Book by

• James F. Kurose, Keith W Ross

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RBX

In the zone
Which book can cover the syllabus and help me gain in depth knowledge of the subject ?
Computer Networks by Andrew S. Tanenbaum
or

Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach Featuring the Internet by James F. Kurose, Keith W Ross

Syllabus
• Network, Network Protocols, Edge, Access Networks and Physical Media
• Protocol Layers and their services models, Internet Backbones, NAP's and ISPs
• Application Layer: Protocol and Service provided by application layer, transport protocols. The World Wide Web.
• HTTP, Message formats, User Server Interaction and Web caches.
• FTP commands and replies.
• Electronic Mail, SMTP, Mail Message Formats and MIME and Mail Access Protocols
• DNS The internet's directory service DNS records and Message.
• Transport Layer: Transport Layer Service and Principles, Multiplexing and Demultiplexing applications,
• Connectionless Transport. UDP Segment structure and UDP Checksum. Principles of Reliable Data Transfer-Go back to N and Selective Repeat.
• Connection Oriented Transport TCP Connection and Segment Structure, Sequence Numbers and acknowledgement numbers, Telnet, Round trip time and timeout. TCP connection management
• Network Layer and Routing: Network service model, Routing principles. Link State routing Algorithm, A distant Vector routing & OSPF algorithm.
• Router Components; Input Prot, Switching fabric and output port. IPV6 Packet format. Point To Point Protocol (PPP), transition States, PPP Layers-Physical Layer and Data Link Layer, Link Control Protocols. LCP Packets and options.
• Authentication PAP and CHAP, Network Control Protocol (NCP).
• Sonet/SDH: Synchronous Transport Signals. Physical configuration-SONET Devices, Sections, Lines and Paths.
• SONET Layers-Photonic Layer, section layer, line layer, path layer and device layer relationship.
• Sonet Frame format. Section overhead, Line overhead and path overhead. Virtual Tributaries and types of VTs.

Last edited:

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Tanenbaum is good for beginners.
And you can't find whole 'network' in one book.
Then you will have to read some specialized books.

OP
RBX

RBX

In the zone
I had Data Communications and Networking by Forouzan and now have one from William Stallings but I don't find them appropriate for my syllabus.

Prime_Coder

I'm a Wannabe Hacker
Tanenbaum's book is a good read.

Apart from that, I have a suggestion for you.
Read this, if you have interest in reading more about networking : Computer Networks and Internets (5th Edition) by Douglas E. Comer

Top Bottom