Bitten by Upgrade Bug

AMITNOIDA

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: MS Office jobs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), Net Surfing for long hours. Gaming involving Games Like Watchdogs, Crysis-3, FIFA 15

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 90k Can Add Another 5-6k

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:Maybe..Never Tried Before...Think Its Risky And Mostly Refrain From It

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:Windows 7
5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:Already Got a 1 Tb and one 500 GB Harddrive. Want to have 256 GB SSD.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:
Own A 21.5" BenQ Monitor with 1920x1080 Resolution. Have a desire to purchase a 24 inch monitor with 120 Hz for better gaming experience.
7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Already Got Keyboard, Mouse, Wifi Router, Asus Xonar Essence XT Sound card, Headphone and UPS.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Mostly During This Diwali

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I don't have any experience in building PC. May get it done by a Local assembler. Also, want to get contact of any experienced person/assember, who has skill for building a high end gaming rig with CPU cooler.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:Live In Noida, plan to purchase from Nehru Place or online.
11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:Would Appreciate Any Help Guys Thanx in Advance
The config of my 6 year old present PC is :

Processor : Intel E-8400
Mobo : Biostar I45
RAM : 2 x 2GB OCZ
GPU : MSI R5770 1 GB
Soundcard : Asus Xonar Essence XT
Headphone : Yamaha HP-50S planner
DVD Drive : Moserbaer 20x
PSU : Corsair HX-620
Case : Cooler Master Centurion CM 590
Monitor : BenQ 22 inch 1080p
Keyboard : Logitech K740
Mouse : Razer Abysses
UPS : APC Back RS 1000

I need your suggestion to upgrade my PC to play games like WatchDogs at full setting. Please suggest the config.

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
Sell the processor, ODD, GPU, mobo, RAM, cabinet for ~7k. You budget becomes ~100k

Buy these -
Zotac GTX 970 Amp - 30k
HyperXFury 2x4GB - 6k
Xeon 1230 v3 - 18k
Gigabyte B85 D3H - 6k
Asus ODD - 1k
NZXT Phantom 410 -6k
For monitor, wait for someone else to reply.

If budget permits, buy 2xZotac GTX 970 Amp and SLI and then you are good to go ultra for at least 3 years ;)

sniperz1

Journeyman
+ 1 to above rig with a few changes.

If you would like to add another gpu in future then go for

Asus Z97 A ~ 12k [supports sli]
Benq XL 2411Z ~ 24k [144hz Gaming monitor]

OP
A

AMITNOIDA

Broken In
Sell the processor, ODD, GPU, mobo, RAM, cabinet for ~7k. You budget becomes ~100k

Buy these -
Zotac GTX 970 Amp - 30k
HyperXFury 2x4GB - 6k
Xeon 1230 v3 - 18k
Gigabyte B85 D3H - 6k
Asus ODD - 1k
NZXT Phantom 410 -6k
For monitor, wait for someone else to reply.

If budget permits, buy 2xZotac GTX 970 Amp and SLI and then you are good to go ultra for at least 3 years ;)

Thanks Adityak469 for your response.

Your suggested config is VFM. BTW does Zotac GPU have good R&M setup in India, specially at Delhi? AFAIK, MSI has good R&M in India and my current MSI R5557 had been once repaired successfully under warranty. AFAIK, the Zotac GTx-970 has two 8-pin power socket. How the 8-pin power sockets of GPU are to be fed? Please forgive my ignorance.

What is the rationale behind suggesting Xeon 1230 v3 over i5/i7 processor? Actually I had thought of building my new PC using i5 4690k. Although, OC is not in my immediate radar, but later I may turn interested, so thought of k variety.

Regarding motherboard, does the newer H97/z97 board not make more future proofing sense than B85? I have plan to use Noctua U12pSE2 CPU cooler. Does it support the 1150 socket ?

Regarding PC Case, I have high priority for quiet and low fan noise case. Also, the case should have enough space with better air cooling performance. Water cooling is not my cup of tea. It should have space inside to accommodate at least 12" long GPU card and CPU cooler height of 6.5-7 inch.

Last edited:

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
Thanks Adityak469 for your response.

Your suggested config is VFM. BTW does Zotac GPU have good R&M setup in India, specially at Delhi? AFAIK, MSI has good R&M in India and my current MSI R5557 had been once repaired successfully under warranty. AFAIK, the Zotac GTx-970 has two 8-pin power socket. How the 8-pin power sockets of GPU are to be fed? Please forgive my ignorance.

What is the rationale behind suggesting Xeon 1230 v3 over i5/i7 processor? Actually I had thought of building my new PC using i5 4690k. Although, OC is not in my immediate radar, but later I may turn interested, so thought of k variety.

Regarding motherboard, does the newer H97/z97 board not make more future proofing sense than B85? I have plan to use Noctua U12pSE2 CPU cooler. Does it support the 1150 socket ?

Regarding PC Case, I have high priority for quiet and low fan noise case. Also, the case should have enough space with better air cooling performance. Water cooling is not my cup of tea. It should have space inside to accommodate at least 12" long GPU card and CPU cooler height of 6.5-7 inch.

Yes Zotac has good RMA in India. The 8pin would be fed by your PSU, which should have it or else buy Seasonic S12II 620W ~ 5.5k.
I'll be simple in the Xeon thing, Xeon = (i7 4700k - k) for 3k cheap. Hope you understand that. No need to go with Z97 boards if you aren't overclocking.
Phantom 410 is good enough.

OP
A

AMITNOIDA

Broken In
I have checked the prices of Motherboard from SMC (Nehru Place) website as below:

Model NamePriceShop
MSI B85 G-41 PC Mate6450SMC
MSI Z97 PC Mate LGA8040SMC
MSI H87 G43 Gaming LGA8799SMC
MSI Z97 Guard-Pro LGA9370SMC
MSI H97 Gaming 311050SMC
MSI Z97 Gaming 312400SMC
MSI Z97 Gaming 514277SMC
MSI Z97 Gaming 716650SMC

MSI is a brand with good RMA in Delhi/India. I am thinking for Motherboard from MSI. I have been told that some Gigabyte motherboards encounter bios problem and the same is to be reset frequently, which is an irritant, but I don't know about the H97/Z97 based Gigabyte motherboard performance. Will it be a good decision to go for MSI?

Some of the boards are Gaming variants and with higher price. Whether it makes sense to take a gaming variant? Do the gaming variant uses better parts?

I will use the PC for gaming but without/with moderate O/C. What will be the best sensible and value motherboard for my PC?

Last edited:

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
I have checked the prices of Motherboard from SMC (Nehru Place) website as below:

Model NamePriceShop
MSI B85 G-41 PC Mate6450SMC
MSI Z97 PC Mate LGA8040SMC
MSI H87 G43 Gaming LGA8799SMC
MSI Z97 Guard-Pro LGA9370SMC
MSI H97 Gaming 311050SMC
MSI Z97 Gaming 312400SMC
MSI Z97 Gaming 514277SMC
MSI Z97 Gaming 716650SMC

MSI is a brand with good RMA in Delhi/India. I am thinking for Motherboard from MSI. I have been told that some Gigabyte motherboards encounter bios problem and the same is to be reset frequently, which is an irritant, but I don't know about the H97/Z97 based Gigabyte motherboard performance. Will it be a good decision to go for MSI?

Some of the boards are Gaming variants and with higher price. Whether it makes sense to take a gaming variant? Do the gaming variant uses better parts?

I will use the PC for gaming but without/with moderate O/C. What will be the best sensible and value motherboard for my PC?

Yes you can go with MSI, there will be no problem.
Just go with a B85 one, no need to waste money on Z97/H97 mobos for Xeon.

OP
A

AMITNOIDA

Broken In
As I have plan for Overclocking, I am thinking for i5-4690k instead of xeon. Purchased a Cooler Master hyper 212X CPU cooler.

Accordingly changing the mobo from B85 to MSI Z97. I could have selected MSI Z97 PC Mate, but its colour combination of black and blue looks unimpressive.
Instead, the MSI Z97 Gaming 3 or 5 mobo has beautiful black and red combination and looks awesome. People may criticize me for spending extra 3k for colour combination. But does the MSI Z97 Gaming 3 or 5 not have any edge over Z97 PC Mate at all?

The GPU, mostly will be Zotac GTX 970 Amp Omega.

Now, I have to select a PC Case with good air cooling with low noise level. Does Corsair Carbide 500R will be adequate to accommodate the GPU card and CM hyper 212x? I like Corsair Carbide 500R design and its features of Fan speed control and LED on-off control button.

OP
A

AMITNOIDA

Broken In
Among the motherboards, which one would be the best choice from performance and cost point of view?
- MSI Z97 Gaming 3
- Asus Z97-A
- Gigabyte Z97 D3H

Top Bottom