suppose an algorithm doesn't have a O or Big-Theta notation.
Does it mean it doesn't have an upper bound?If it is so, does it mean this algorithm will take an infinite amount of time to process a large data? If an algorithm has an upper bound, does it mean it can process a profoundly large amount of data under certain time?

Please help.

P.S. If my concept is wrong, then please help me rectify it

miltus_31

Broken In
First of all Big-O and Big-theta and Big-omega are just notations.
If I dont go into the mathematical details they are just used to denote upper bound, tight bound and lower bound.

This is not clear.
AFAIK upper bound of running time is denoted by the Big-O notation.

If you say an algorithm does not have an upper bound in running time, then I think the algorithm is not bound to terminate. Which is obviuosly bad.

nbaztec

Master KOD3R
Does it mean it doesn't have an upper bound?If it is so, does it mean this algorithm will take an infinite amount of time to process a large data? If an algorithm has an upper bound, does it mean it can process a profoundly large amount of data under certain time?

Please help.

P.S. If my concept is wrong, then please help me rectify it

You are correct, for an algorithm to not have a Big-Oh() or Theta(), it should be monotonically increasing in size n, i.e. not have an upper bound.

miltus_31

Broken In
You are correct, for an algorithm to not have a Big-Oh() or Theta(), it should be monotonically increasing in size n, i.e. not have an upper bound.
Can you please explain what is meant by an algorithm to not have Big-O or Big-Theta? preferably with example.

thinkjamil

Journeyman
Big Oh refers to the time complexity of worst possible case with the algorithm. Every algorithm has a Big Oh , if not find it form time complexity calculations, If its still undetermined, consider it infinite. . .Think of it to hang/crash when subjected to worst input case.

@vi

Journeyman
Big Oh refers to the time complexity of worst possible case with the algorithm. Every algorithm has a Big Oh , if not find it form time complexity calculations, If its still undetermined, consider it infinite. . .Think of it to hang/crash when subjected to worst input case.
how the case of hang/crash arises since we only consider mathematical model ?

Top Bottom