BIG BIG hardware problem... Please help... Very Urgent...

Status
Not open for further replies.

go4saket

Hello Friends!

My computer working absolutely fine, all of a sudden starts making a nooking sound (Knik Knik Knik) and every thing helds up. This sound continues for some time, and till then nothings responds. After some time, say a minute or two, it stops and things starts working fine. Again after a few minute the same problem starts. Sometimes the problem is so bad that the computer gives a memory dump error and I am left with no other choice but to restart the computer. On restarting the computer, the problem persists and its so bad that it cant even load Windows. It is only when I take off the RAM and attach it again, my computer starts functioning normal, that too not for long.

I thought that the RAM must be faulty and so I replaced the RAM, but no help. After that I even changed the motherboard to make sure that the problem is not with it, but still no help. Now tell me, what should I do? What else can be the problem? Is it possible because of a HDD or SMPS problem, or is it happening because of some kind of software conflict? If it is because of some software conflict, the problem should be solved when I restart the computer, but that doesn't happen. I am simply fed up...

Presently I am working on Windows XP SP2. As for the hardware, I am having a Original Intel 865GBF motherboard, 512 MB DDR RAM, Pentium 4 2.8 GHz. HT Processor & a 80 GB Sygate HDD.

Please help...

Thank you...

con_tester

Journeyman
It seems that something recently installed hardware is conflicting...

Do u have installed something unusual hardware....

Do u remember what changes u made before this problem...

legolas

Padawan
if u hav any other pci devices, graphic card etc... do fix them again to try it out! and did u open the cabinet recently and work on it for anything? remember?

/legolas

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
did u check the fan
maybe ur proc fan has gone faulty
when the RPM increases i.e. when the proc temp increases with usage
maybe its gettin unstable
and causin the prob

not sure, but cannot figure out other sound causin probs !!!

d

Journeyman
let ur computer run open....n try to identify the source of the noise.....because if its a heating problem, then even on restarting <if its a warm reboot> the computer won't run stable...so it might be a hdd problem....see if the hdd access LED lights up when u hear ur nicking noise, whtvr it is :lol: is the noise coming from the multimedia spkrs, the system spkr, or from somewhere else? because if its from somewhere else, it must be from someplace with moving parts like the HDD, optical drives etc...can't be from the mobo or the processor.....my friend's comp once gave clicking noises from the multimedia spkr....n it was discovered tht his creative sound card was grounding with the metal parts of the cabinet and short-circuiting...see if any sparks can be seen...best thing wld be to keep the system on ur desk and let it run open...even if its a CPU fan prob, u can immediatley identify it

OP
go4saket

go4saket

No, the sound comes some where from inside the CPU. As for the fans, they are all working fine. For about any new hardware installed, there has been none.

hansraj

In the zone
why dont u do one thing ... now that u have checked every thing except for the processor try to get hold of any of u r friend who can loan u his processor for 2 hrs or so .... as such u r having p4 2.8 GHz .. its still common to find it around... if that can find the nagger

OP
go4saket

go4saket

the problem is that this problem doesn't happen every time. Sometimess it happens three to four times in a day and some times it doesn't happen for a week or so... On the otherhand, no one would like to mess up with his/her computer by taking our the processor...

OP
go4saket

go4saket

Hey guys, I checked the memory with various memory testing softwares and got no errors. I isnatlled a new motherboard, the HDD seems to be absolutely fine as per diagnostic softwares. So what the hell is causing this problem.

The electric point that I have my computer attached to doesn't have an earthing. Can this be a reason?

Kniwor

Learner
//sorry cud not read all the posts above

It seems like ur HDD fell from height.... coz thatś what happened to me once... and it´ś about to DIE.
Itś most likely problem with ur HDD.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
The same sound is heard with my recently bought Hitachi HDD (SATA II). I wrote in the forum about it but everybody said there is nothing to fear. But what I feared was that the HDD was subjected to some mechanical shock prior to the purchase. And from previous experiences, I know that once a HDD starts making such noises, most probably, it is going to have bad sectrors.

V.Prem Kumar

OP
go4saket

go4saket

Guys, if the problem was with the HDD, why is everything fine as soon as I remove the Memory and reinstall it... I really dount that the problem is with the HDD...

Huzefa

Journeyman
Your HDD could be the problem , anyway to be safe back up all the important stuff to a CD , have u tried disconnecting the PC's Internal speaker ? Excess static , if not earthed causes the speaker to vibrate and produce noise especially if some part of the specker is touching the body , In this case no worries just earth your machine with a copper wire touching any metallic object attached to the wall , MAke sure this metallic object is not something with electrical connections, For eg u can use a metallic water pipe connection.

Kniwor

Learner
go4saket said:
Guys, if the problem was with the HDD, why is everything fine as soon as I remove the Memory and reinstall it... I really dount that the problem is with the HDD...

can u tell where exactly is the sound coming from... just take out the HDD and see if it is making the noise and let us know

shashank4u

Youngling
hi

i m also confused , try these
give restore in safe boot, or u can start again by formating unpugging the cables and start fresh your system after cleaning the parts,one thing also u can do is to update the drivers from internet who know s who s the culprit, give the above a try . shashank

OP
go4saket

go4saket

Thanks shashank4u, but I have tried these things so many times but no gain. The problem still persists. Thankfully the problem hasn't happened sisnce the last two days, but I know it will and I just waiting for it and then as Kniwor said, I will try to see where exactly the sound is coming from...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom