Best websites for renting a flat?

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
I would like your opinions on websites that list properties for rent. Advice from people who used such sites is appreciated. I have started searching on some of them. Here's some inital thoughts I have:

Magicbricks: The map feature does not actually work as intended. The only system that works is the list one. But going through a list of 10,000 properties is painful even with filters. Seems like a lot are fake listings.

99acres: Same problem as magicbricks. Except you can't even drag the map.

nobroker.in: Probably the most functional search by map feature. But some filters are behind a paywall. Total listings are less than magicbricks/99acres but looks legit.

nestaway: Has a functional search by map feature. But has very few listings.

So what is the best website not just for search but for overall experience till the end? I know I have to visit the place and check the flat in person and all that. I read that some sites even provide services to move your household stuff. Is that any good? Is the paywall at nobroker.in worth it? What else should I keep in mind? It's the first time I'm renting. Also best way to search for new projects(under construction) for direct buy?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I have used 99acres several times and I personally find it shitty. I have used it to look for roommates, but there is no provision for mentioning that you are not the owner. But if you are renting out a flat, you will get a lot of calls, so there's that. But a lot of calls are from brokers too, so that sucks.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Most sites that gives listing are leftovers from middlemens syndicate.
I think going local is the only way.
Check with Just Dial and they will ask for your requirement, city name, locality name etc
And will send the appropriate contacts via SMS & Whatsapp as well.
Check once with Just Dial.

Sent from my Nokia 8.1 using Tapatalk

OP
chimera201

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
I have used 99acres several times and I personally find it shitty. I have used it to look for roommates, but there is no provision for mentioning that you are not the owner. But if you are renting out a flat, you will get a lot of calls, so there's that. But a lot of calls are from brokers too, so that sucks.

Yeah I'm wary of spam/scam smses and calls. I haven't entered my no. on any of those websites yet.

nobroker.in seems to best UI/UX design and functionality wise. I need to know if anyone used it here.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
I would like your opinions on websites that list properties for rent. Advice from people who used such sites is appreciated. I have started searching on some of them. Here's some inital thoughts I have:

Magicbricks: The map feature does not actually work as intended. The only system that works is the list one. But going through a list of 10,000 properties is painful even with filters. Seems like a lot are fake listings.

nobroker.in: Probably the most functional search by map feature. But some filters are behind a paywall. Total listings are less than magicbricks/99acres but looks legit.

nestaway: Has a functional search by map feature. But has very few listings.

So what is the best website not just for search but for overall experience till the end? I know I have to visit the place and check the flat in person and all that. I read that some sites even provide services to move your household stuff. Is that any good? Is the paywall at nobroker.in worth it? What else should I keep in mind? It's the first time I'm renting. Also best way to search for new projects(under construction) for direct buy?
Airbnb :Holiday Lets, Homes, Experiences & Places - Airbnb

I was searching for a shared flat in Pune & my friends said that fb groups are effective. I saw listings for whole flats as well. Look for such groups for your city.

Hey I'm coming to Pune as well. But not looking for a shared flat.
Flat and Flatmates Pune
Flat and Flatmates (Pune)

These 2 groups have a lot of listings. Its mostly filled with shared rooms for rent, but I have seen a lot of 1BHK going for rent as well, 2BHK was rare. If you have a specific location, I can share some listing with you if I come across any.

Use normal fb marketplace as well, I got some good listings there as well.

OP
chimera201

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Flat and Flatmates Pune
Flat and Flatmates (Pune)

These 2 groups have a lot of listings. Its mostly filled with shared rooms for rent, but I have seen a lot of 1BHK going for rent as well, 2BHK was rare. If you have a specific location, I can share some listing with you if I come across any.

Use normal fb marketplace as well, I got some good listings there as well.

Is Jagdishnagar (Aundh East) a good area to live in? I liked one 2BHK full furnished flat over there but the rent per month is 23K. Is it too high for that place?

Last edited:
Is Jagdishnagar (Aundh East) a good area to live in? I liked one 2BHK full furnished flat over there but the rent per month is 23K. Is it too high for that place?
Not much idea, I'm new to Pune as well. But furnishings do impact the rent, not sure if Aundh is one of the more expensive locations. Maybe look for semi-furnished or unfurnished ones & buy second hand furnishings, if you are going to stay for a long time.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Aundh is a posh area, so costs are somewhat high. Balewadi and Baner (slight outskirts) are cheap.
I rented 3 BHK flat for 23k in location above. We searched for owner flats for months but none are willing to rent bachelors, going by broker was only choice.

OP
chimera201

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
There was one flat within 5min walking distance from my workplace but it got rented out. I visited the flat and just when I got outside the building the owner called and said it's rented out.:wah:
The problem with cheaper 1BHK flats is that they get rented out within 2-4 days.

There was another flat where a tenant was going to move out. We talked with that tenant for a while. He was an aged old man. While discussing he said that "Pune is on rent". The original owners don't stay there and outsiders are staying there.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
If you are okay with PG, you could try something like Zolo rooms. It's generally cheap and you also get meals and maintenance from time to time. I have a couple of colleagues who live in such rooms. It's a good option if you are a bachelor.

There was one flat within 5min walking distance from my workplace but it got rented out. I visited the flat and just when I got outside the building the owner called and said it's rented out.:wah:
The problem with cheaper 1BHK flats is that they get rented out within 2-4 days.

There was another flat where a tenant was going to move out. We talked with that tenant for a while. He was an aged old man. While discussing he said that "Pune is on rent". The original owners don't stay there and outsiders are staying there.
It took a lot of time in my 2 weeks of search just browsing fb groups & marketplace. I'd say those are still effective ways to look for flats. As I said earlier, private flat listings are low, but it surely happens. If you are alone, maybe just look for a bedroom in a 3BHK flat, like that bedroom will be yours, if it has attached bathroom, then better, you just share kitchen. I know you don't always get good flat-mates, but you have a adjust a bit. If you are unlucky with flatmates, search begins again. Just meet them personally & have a talk with them about drinks/smoking/ etc.

Top Bottom