Best Protection....

Which is the best protection AND light on the system?

• Avast! + AdAware

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

siddhantmutha

Broken In
hello,
i have been thinking these days about which anti-virus and anti-spyware menu to put on my system AND will be much light on the system.

my system is- win XP on P3(567 MHz) and 192 MB RAM.

i had the following options and want to choose one of them:
1)avast! + spybot s&d
2)avast! + adAware
3)spybot s&d + AdAware
4)avast! + spybot s&d + adAware

i recently removed webroot spy sweeper, as it was putting an enormous load on the system.

right now i have avast! and Windows Defender.
Please advise me on which option to select or if you have something better, plz. share it with me....

I will be very grateful to you...
Thanx in Advance

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
if u dont mind paying, then go for KIS (kaspersky internet security 6). its light, but if u dont have XP SP2, it can create some problms. like pc/web access slowdown...

sakumar79

Technomancer
Avast and Spybot have resident scanning... Adaware freeware edition doesnt have resident scanning, but will be a supplement to Spybots resident scanner....

EDIT: And I hope you havent forgotten to get a Firewall as well

Arun

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Choosing paid or free antivirus programs depends upon the extent of use of internet. If you are limited user of internet and sure about which websites you are surfing, stick to free versions. There is no need to shed any bucks for that. Using multiple layers of free versions will provide the best protection. avast! + SpyBot + Ad-aware + Windows Defender (real-time scanner activated) + Zone Alarm Free Firewall will provide good protection.

If you download loads of stuff from P2P and wares sites, then there is a need to go for paid versions like KAV. In such case KAV + AVG AntiSpyware (consumes minimal resources than Webroot Spysweeper) + Zone Alarm Pro will provide best protection. I am recommending KAV here becoz they provide hourly updates. So the virus definitions are updated very soon and chances of gettin infected is minimized (still not 100% though).

And ofcourse 100% protection is not at all possible by any means.

Last edited:

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
if Paid, i suggest only one option...

Kaspersky Internet Security

this alone will do, and yes, time to time u may wanna check ur systems HijackThis...

i am running it... and I am pretty Happy :D

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
saurav_cheeta said:
if Paid, i suggest only one option...
Kaspersky Internet Security
this alone will do, and yes, time to time u may wanna check ur systems HijackThis...
i am running it... and I am pretty Happy :D

I don't think so KIS alone can make a perfect suite. I have no doubt about it's KAV, but issue rises with AntiSpyware and Firewall. You need have other good one in these areas. AVG Antispyware and Zone alarm Pro is among those.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
@siddhantmutha
Currently u r using right combination (avast! + Windows Defender), so need to change it. But just also install Zone Alarm FREE firewall to make a complete suite. ;)

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
siddhantmutha said:
hello,
i have been thinking these days about which anti-virus and anti-spyware menu to put on my system AND will be much light on the system.

my system is- win XP on P3(567 MHz) and 192 MB RAM.

For this config,I think KAV,NAV,Zone Alarm will make ur comp weak,So better choose for some light options like NOD32 +Spybot S&D or AVG+Spybot S&D:)

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
vimal_mehrotra said:
If it is really bad speed,you can cut either spybot or adaware.
avast+spybot\adaware

Cutting Spybot or ad-aware doesn't make any difference in speed becoz both free versions don't have real-time scanners. ;)

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
Try what I said.. light & useful... AVG+SpyBot+COMODO
U r safe.
Mine is also a PIII, 256MB SDRAM running XP :(
I'm also havin another system running on XP with a Celeron 1GHz processor and 128MB RAM!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom