best operating system

Status
Not open for further replies.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
i will die mentioning that apple has atleast 10 retailers in mumbai.. and a show room... and same is the case with 10-11 cities..

also they hv atleast 1 retailer in 20-30 cities..

and in 78k ... u can get an imac g5..

17-inch widescreen LCD
1.6GHz PowerPC G5
512K L2 cache
533MHz frontside bus
256MB DDR400 SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
64MB DDR video memory
80GB Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load Combo Drive

This kicks some intel and athlon a$$.... just to mention that it has a 64 bit OS and 64 bit apps to take advantage of the feature....

and in 1 lac u get a POWERMAC g5

1.8GHz PowerPC G5
600MHz frontside bus
512K L2 cache
256MB DDR400 SDRAM
Expandable to 4GB SDRAM
80GB Serial ATA
8x SuperDrive
Three PCI Slots
64MB DDR video memory
56K internal modem

krishnathelord

In the zone
mail2and said:
i will die mentioning that apple has atleast 10 retailers in mumbai.. and a show room... and same is the case with 10-11 cities..

also they hv atleast 1 retailer in 20-30 cities..

and in 78k ... u can get an imac g5..

17-inch widescreen LCD
1.6GHz PowerPC G5
512K L2 cache
533MHz frontside bus
256MB DDR400 SDRAM
64MB DDR video memory
80GB Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load Combo Drive

This kicks some intel and athlon a$$.... just to mention that it has a 64 bit OS and 64 bit apps to take advantage of the feature....

and in 1 lac u get a POWERMAC g5

1.8GHz PowerPC G5
600MHz frontside bus
512K L2 cache
256MB DDR400 SDRAM
Expandable to 4GB SDRAM
80GB Serial ATA
8x SuperDrive
Three PCI Slots
64MB DDR video memory
56K internal modem
the machines u just mentioned are some big thing which only few (countable )people in india can afford, 8)

goobimama

 Macboy
are we talking price or superiority? I think the question clearly goes which OS is superior. The answer to that is Clearly the mac OS X. It ends there. The mac may be a bit expensive, but you get your money's worth. Those processors can take on most of these local CPUs that intel and amd put out. Also, I don't think your average PC will get you any girls. they will just consider you a nerd or a geek. but have an iMac, and the chicks start diggin' your computer skills....;)

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
actually hafees mentioned abt the 1 lakh config.... mac mini is 28k and gives any PEE CEE a run for its money...

as goobimama pointed out, Mac is different. the experience of working on a mac can't be worded. You just have to use a mac to know the difference....

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
If you're talking about architectures then the Software and Hardware, both architectures are just wisely chosen by Apple.
PowerPC processors are based on IBM's RISC architecture which offer mainframe grade performance for desktops. The MacOS X is based on slick FreeBSD UNIX core, which is a mainframe grade operating system.

hafees

In the zone
actually hafees mentioned abt the 1 lakh config....
for 1 Lac u can get a lot of things if u opt for a PC. that z what i mentioned.

AMD 3200 XP 64
A decent Asus m/b
512 MB DDR 400
a decent geforce fx 5700 based graphics card
17 '' monitor
+
A decent photo Printer +
A decent Capturing Card +
A good UPS +
a digital camera

Ready to run a business. :)
so i think opt for a PC is better, unless if u want pure performance

..... that z what i mean.

- Snake -

Broken In
From security point of view LINUX is best....

For novince home users MS XP

I don't know about MAC......

Does any one knows that there is another OS named reactOS *reactos.com

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
hafees said:
actually hafees mentioned abt the 1 lakh config....
for 1 Lac u can get a lot of things if u opt for a PC. that z what i mentioned.

AMD 3200 XP 64
A decent Asus m/b
512 MB DDR 400
a decent geforce fx 5700 based graphics card
17 '' monitor
+
A decent photo Printer +
A decent Capturing Card +
A good UPS +
a digital camera

Ready to run a business. :)
so i think opt for a PC is better, unless if u want pure performance

..... that z what i mean.

if u r willing 2 spend a hundred thousand rupees on a PC, then u r a hardcore gamer and u need a PC...but u can buy a mac mini if u just need a computer 4 office work, surfing, etc. it offers gr8 hardware and software and the rock solid stability of Macs :wink:

devilhead_satish

In the zone
Macs are the way to go if you're into photo editing and stuff. Macs know how to utilise their resources better. My friends dad is a pro photographer and i have never seen him having a PC in his house. Macs only please. Blueberry to G4 and everything oin between

hafees

In the zone
i m not blaming mac. what i m trying to say is, a PC is a better choice if one needs value for money rather than performance.

if u 've already one decent PC and then want to buy onother and have enough money then sure go for a mac. it will give u some stardom. every one will look u with a respect. ok all right.... nothing beats a mac in the looks department.

But imagine, u ve the digit DVD and u only have a mac, what will u do? u will be desperate to try the s/w, games, etc etc...

So my verdict is :
if u want performace (eg: u r a professional in 3d design, video editing etc), and dont mind the cost, then go for a MAC. it will not disappoint u.
if u want performance and value for ur money or if u r a gamer then go for a PC with the AMD athlon 64 bit based processor with a decent m/b , plenty of RAM, a decent graphics card etc.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
I would like to clear your myth about the MAC again. There are plenty plenty of software available for a MAC. In this age of cable internet, i don't think its difficult for us to download 5 mb or 6 mb...

I mean you have got every type of software for a MAC. Also, these are way way better then any software on Windows. Just compare Photoshop CS on a MAC and a PC...

Even compare IE on a PC and a MAC. Hell, even IE looks better on a MAC!

Also at 28,000 I guess MAC mini is very affordable considering the fact that Apple will upgrade the RAM to 512 mb and the gfx card to sumthing like a 5700 or 9600 pro.

MAC is not for games. I believe games are meant only for consoles. Also most people in India buy computers with integrated graphics. Only a very few are willing and able to buy gfx cards...

So i guess people without a gfx card telling Half Life 2 won't run on a MAC is wrong. Ofcourse, gamers would require a PC

But with a MAC, life goes beyond hardware. If you buy a MAC say today, you don't need to upgrade it for atleast 5-6 years because each subsequent version of MAC OS gets faster.

Cheetah(10.1) was faster than Puma(10.0), jaguar(10.2) was faster than Cheetah(10.1), panther(10.3) was faster than jaguar(0.2) and the recent 'seeds' of Tiger are much faster than Panther.

Can we say this about Windows? Again, take an example of a P III 500 mhz pc with 64 mb ram and a G3 400 mhz with 64 mb ram...

Try running Windows XP(Equal To Puma in features) and Panther on the respective machines... you will get the answer....

Overall, with the MAC MINI, for non-gamers, it would turn out to be cheaper when you go for the next upgrade*(6-7 years on a MAC.. 2-3 years on a PC)

* including RAM upgrades

cool_dude_prav

In the zone
A properly configured Linux system... (Any one...) Is properly THE BEST OS in hte whole wide world...

(But I prefer Ubuntu aka Debian)...

Of course Windows users may swear by the OS...

But it is all upto the users choice.. :wink:

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Just my small comment:

If availability of applications on Mac OS X are an issue, then just think:
A Mac for 28000 Rs,+ Ubuntu Linux DVD makes a killer Home Computer. And with Linux platform, you get access to 8710 unique applications directly off debian mirrors. All the games that run natively run on Linux can be used.

I am running Ubuntu on Apple PowerBook laptop and another Apple G4. Its just rocks...

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
mail2and said:
I would like to clear your myth about the MAC again. There are plenty plenty of software available for a MAC. In this age of cable internet, i don't think its difficult for us to download 5 mb or 6 mb...

I mean you have got every type of software for a MAC. Also, these are way way better then any software on Windows. Just compare Photoshop CS on a MAC and a PC...

Even compare IE on a PC and a MAC. Hell, even IE looks better on a MAC!

Also at 28,000 I guess MAC mini is very affordable considering the fact that Apple will upgrade the RAM to 512 mb and the gfx card to sumthing like a 5700 or 9600 pro.

MAC is not for games. I believe games are meant only for consoles. Also most people in India buy computers with integrated graphics. Only a very few are willing and able to buy gfx cards...

So i guess people without a gfx card telling Half Life 2 won't run on a MAC is wrong. Ofcourse, gamers would require a PC

But with a MAC, life goes beyond hardware. If you buy a MAC say today, you don't need to upgrade it for atleast 5-6 years because each subsequent version of MAC OS gets faster.

Cheetah(10.1) was faster than Puma(10.0), jaguar(10.2) was faster than Cheetah(10.1), panther(10.3) was faster than jaguar(0.2) and the recent 'seeds' of Tiger are much faster than Panther.

Can we say this about Windows? Again, take an example of a P III 500 mhz pc with 64 mb ram and a G3 400 mhz with 64 mb ram...

Try running Windows XP(Equal To Puma in features) and Panther on the respective machines... you will get the answer....

Overall, with the MAC MINI, for non-gamers, it would turn out to be cheaper when you go for the next upgrade*(6-7 years on a MAC.. 2-3 years on a PC)

* including RAM upgrades

I guess we shud send this to each person who has misconceptions abt a mac :p

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
i think Xp with all the Sp is the best one around(atleast best for me)
it's been 13 months now since i last installed Xp

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
club_pranay said:
it's been 13 months now since i last installed Xp
And with MacOS X people never have to bother about installing an operating system. I haven't heard anyone installing/reinstalling Mac OS ever!

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
Yeah even while installing a new version.. you just have to upgrade...

Just show this thread to Steve Jobs. He'll tear his hair(duh! he duzn't hv 'em) and clothes and everything apart, when he watches ppl claiming that Win Xp is more stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom