best operating system

Status
Not open for further replies.

kumarn_2004

In the zone
Which is the best Operating Systems (Window XP/Linux/Mac/others) for a professional Photographer? Furthermore, What are the other Softwares like image editing,et., that a Photographer should learn from A to Z? Your detailed reply,please.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
i would go 4 a Mac if u r into photo and video editing...Macs r known 4 their efficiency in such cases....u can get photoshop 4 Macs....

sailendra

Journeyman
The idea that Mac is the sure way to go for Photograph and multimedia professionals doesnt really hold good now. It used to once. Most PCs with a decent processor - an Intel / AMD with 2.0+ Ghz coupled with a good Graphics card + Motherboard would work as good as any Macintosh at almost half the price. Besides most graphics apps that are available for the Mac also run well on the PC.
Regarding the kind of software you can use for photography and Image editing, there are lots to choose from. Photoshop is undobtedly a leader. Other options include software from Ulead and several shareware offerings such as Paintshop Pro. Most of these apps support plugins which let you add functionality such as new Effects to the basic program.
If you are serious about mastering Image Editing and Graphics, I suggest you pick a good book on the general concepts of Image Editing and Multimedia on the PC. Then follow it up with a book or two on the tool of your choice say Photoshop.

Good Luck :)

anusoni

Broken In
sailendra said:
The idea that Mac is the sure way to go for Photograph and multimedia professionals doesnt really hold good now. It used to once. Most PCs with a decent processor - an Intel / AMD with 2.0+ Ghz coupled with a good Graphics card + Motherboard would work as good as any Macintosh at almost half the price. Besides most graphics apps that are available for the Mac also run well on the PC.
Good Luck :)

I still advice a mac since pc's are well , thro' my experience , not meant for any faint of heart, it can be a bitter experience sometimes, while i've HEARD that mac is as user friendly as they come, so go for a MAC,
or, if u're still interested in a PC go for a Branded one , not assembled as most assemblers have engineers for troubleshooting who know mostly nothing !

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
Windows XP is the best OS around here, even though their are some problems. But then again Microsoft does releases Service Packs and Updates ,etc. to Correct them.

sailendra

Journeyman
@anusoni,

Again i beg to differ. WIndows XP is quite user friendly. As regards support, you can find better support for PCs than for Mac's. Since PC is more widely used here than the MAC.

goobimama

 Macboy
The Mac OS X is much much superior to windows or any PC based OS. I've been using photoshop for a long time now, and I know what the difference is when you get to work on a mac. I have a PC 2 Ghz, 640 MB RAM and a good graphics card, but the iMac G4 beat the PC fair and square when it came to image processing and the likes of it. Its too good. I don't own a Mac, I used it at a friends place. Believe me, there's a big difference...

I must admit that though the Mac is so good, it doesn't really justify the price which is halved in the PC. So, the conclusion is, if you have budget restraints, go in for the PC, otherwise, for graphics and image editing, the iMac is the way.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
well i would agree to the pricing aspect of the mac... as its a monopoly(in its architecture) it can set the price it wants. Also with mac u get lots of advantages..... with a PC the maximum RAM supported is 2gb or at max 4 gb in some cases

While any MAC can support upto 8 gb of ram(except mac mini)... again mac is very very user friendly.... and as regards Windows xp... i can just say LOL! i wud say mac os 9 would be better than that.....

and its mac os x(ten) :p

again as rgards to the support... i believe apple has its own chain of stores in all metros... also it has retailers which will help you if u get any probz with ur mac(highly unlikely)

you can get an imac g5 for sumthing like 75k.... also a powerbook will cost you 1 lakh..(just to inform that a vaio with pentium M processor!!!! costs 1.05 lakhs)

you can't compare a mac to dell, zenith or even hp.... its just too classy....

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
well, as far as i can tell, when u get image editing software 4 the Mac, like Photoshop, it is optimized 2 run on the Mac...so it does a good job of using the Mac architecture...

now the user freindlines...yes Macs r really easy 2 use...but if u r used the Windows environment, u might have a lil trouble geting started...but once u get 2 know ur way around it, Mac OS X is a piece of cake...

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
lywyre said:
With Mac you get proprietory OS and other softwares which sums up to its price
Wrong there.
The Apple Mac OS used to be proprietary sometime back. But OS X is based on the GNU Darwin kernel which in turn is derived from the CMU Mach microkernel and FreeBSD operating systems. They all are non-proprietary technologies and available for free under the Apple Public License (similar to GPL)
See : *developer.apple.com/macosx/

The core OS is non-proprietary, However, the third party applications available for it may/may-not be proprietary(read MS-Office and Photoshop).

The Apple architecture beats any other kind of hi-tech PC hands down. We have a apple G4 machine, and since it was a 2GB RAM rig with dual PowerPC processors, we made it our Zope Server.... and now this mac looks the cutest server in our data center. :)

hpotter606

Journeyman
rachitboom2 said:
ax3 said:
win 2000 is the best ...
Hey have you ever used Win XP ???
If you have then I dont think that you will ever say that Win 2000 is the best !!!

i have win XP now but i have used 2000 and havent found it bad :shock:

xp is good but only if regularly updated. otherwise win2000 is stable os

Ashootosh

Broken In
I would go 4 Windows XP.......... I think one the most stable OS and furthermore s/ws for windows is easily available as compared to some other OS. I think u can get S/Ws working under other OSs only in selected cities thats not the case with XP

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
excuse me.... the most stable os???? windows xp?!?!? you must be kidding... arent you?

which software u need? mac has got m$ office 2004, its got photoshop cs(works better).. hell its even got internet explorer and windows media player!?!??

it has each and every type of software that windows has... and excels in all fields...

:sigh: u gotta use a mac to know how good it is!

panther is atleast 5 years ahead of longhorn... and tiger which is releasing on april 15.. is atleast 6-7 years ahead... and it runs on 128 mb ram...

what did billva say abt longhorn and ram? 512 isnt it?
now u get the difference?

mac gets faster with each version.... windows becomes a bigger bloatware with each passing "set of bugs"

Ashootosh

Broken In
may b u r right mail2nd, but my point was u can get winxp even in small cities.... again u r right that i havent used mac os but do u know why bcoz its not available here!!!!!!!!! and that was my point "not easily available!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

casanova

The Frozen Nova
Windows XP is best. It has its royalty that is comes from the Microsoft family. Superb support for plug and play devices and instant capturing

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
superb support for plug and play devices??!!??!

you haven't tried MAC os x(ten) have u???

d00d nothing is better in plug and play support than a MAC....

hafees

In the zone
Ok! it is agreed that MAC OS X is superior to XP. But still a PC is better in many other terms. For eg consider this. if u've 1 LAC Rs to spend for a comp, then if u opt for a PC u can buy the best configuration around with all the additional hardware one needs. but in the case of a MAC things is not like that. and in terms of support, support for MAC is almost absent in even large cities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom