BEST Mobile Connection while traveling abroad

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
Hi,
My parents are visiting me in CA, USA next week and I am really worried as this is the first time they are traveling internationally. I was wondering if I can get them a SIM which I can use to connect to them when they are in their stopover in Dubai and when they reach in SFO.

I saw some options like Matrix, UniConnect, ReliancePassport but am not sure and wanted your opinion.

Has anyone experienced any good network provider in past or can recommend which one is good to take.

Note: My Parents are not very good with Mobile network selections and stuff and they might not be able to connect to WIFI at airport.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I'm not sure what connections your parent use.

Can share what I did.

I use Vodafone.
Before travel I called up customer care and asked them to enable international calling on my number. They asked me to deposit 3000/- on my account and then enabled International plan on my number (they have only two options to choose from)

When in Dubai I switched on my set, it got connected to Vodafone tied up cell service there. Charges are heavy though.

gavnit

Broken In
Never go with postpaid while international roaming or you can receive heavy bill shocks.
Airtel have prepaid online recharge of rs.999 with 100MB data or 100free incoming minutes. Outgoing is 15rs per minute i think. Other operators may have similar plans or if not buy a new airtel sim(activate 999pack) and forward existing no calls to it while leaving india(can't activate/deactivate forwarding while roaming (

OP
ajayashish

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
How is Matrix... and can I use the same SIM in UAE and US both. How is the quality of connection..

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
Avoid any indian carrier or MATRIX trust me in this.
I went to Singapore 2 weeks back for a short trip, took a local Singtel sim for 18$ and it worked out much much cheaper,calling back india spoke for about 5 mins, charge was less than 30 rupees.Matrix overall works out as much as a freaking airtel sim.

OP
ajayashish

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
^^^ I dont think you understood the problem here..

My Parents will be in Transit in Dubai and I just want a way to communicate with them till they reach SFO. Once they are here I can get them a US Number.

$hadow

Geek in making
Using Matrix might be a bit costly but more hassle free compared to any other out there.

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
^^^ I dont think you understood the problem here..

My Parents will be in Transit in Dubai and I just want a way to communicate with them till they reach SFO. Once they are here I can get them a US Number.

Ohk, then just put an normal international pack in their existing number.
Matrix charges 1-2k for Dubai If I remember correctly and calling rates were same to airtel.

ajayritik

Technomancer
In your current scenario the best option I believe is to have International Roaming enabled on your current SIM.
It's purely my call though.

Top Bottom