Best developer laptop under 60k?

hrj

Right off the assembly line
Hi all,

I am a frequent reader of these forums, but this is the first time I am logging in.

I am a developer, and want to upgrade to the latest development setup. My current 6 yr old laptop is really showing its age.

I work exclusively in Linux (Ubuntu 12.x). I need to use IDEs like Eclipse working with really big projects in either Java or Scala. And I need to open atleast 3 browsers with 100s of tabs each. I have other applications running too, and I am always heavily multi-tasking.

Apart from that, I occasionally want to watch high quality videos and play a few Indie games.

My budget is under 60k (but I can stretch it a bit if necessary).

Which laptop would you suggest for me? I would prefer a core i7 ivy bridge based one. I don't need Windows and I don't need a discrete graphics card. HD4000 should be good enough for my needs.

thanks!

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Get Inspiron 15r Turbo with FHD. And do get a SSD by chucking ODD. final cost would be much more than your budget (~62k + ~8k, 128GB m4 ). Try to get discount on 15r, either student or employee.

nandu26

In the zone
corei7's will generate heat. I have been going through reviews and most people have heating issues. Also the cost is too high. above 55000/-.

Also you will not get HD 4000 with corei7. most corei7 laptops has separate graphics card.

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God
corei7's will generate heat.

Also you will not get HD 4000 with corei7. most corei7 laptops has separate graphics card.

sorry, you are misinformed.

@op
15r turbo with full hd is a good option. if budget is a constraint, i5 + full hd is better for your needs than an i7 with hd screen.

achyutaghosh

Journeyman
Get Inspiron 15r Turbo with FHD. And do get a SSD by chucking ODD. final cost would be much more than your budget (~62k + ~8k, 128GB m4 ). Try to get discount on 15r, either student or employee.

Corporate discount by Dell for leading companies is 3%- you could use that too

p!e

Broken In
Do check the Asus K53-sm 2nd Gen Core i7 Version. Should be available locally for < 50 k.

This Laptop does not come with windows.

Asus K53SM-SX130D Laptop (2nd GenCi7/ 8GB/ 1TB/ DOS/ 2GB Graph): Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Asus Notebook

OP
H

hrj

Right off the assembly line
Thanks for all your responses! I didn't get a email notification else would have replied sooner.

Inspirion 15R Turbo indeed looks good.

One of the reasons that I am avoiding discrete graphics card is that it might generate more heat even when not active. Is that true?

The other reason is cost. Since HD4000 is supposed to give decent graphics performance I wonder why laptop manufacturers are adding a separate graphics card in all models (for i7).

Top Bottom