jainshubhanyu

Broken In
Hi!

Wish to know the best AMD x2 solution for under 6000. Current config:

AMD Athlon XP 1800+
Kingston DDR 266 256MBx2
MSI KT4AV
MSI GeForce FX 5200

So now ... tell me the best possible solution ... where I may get onboard audio (not necessary) and graphics.

Will I be able to use my present AGP 8x graphics card on the new board?

Thank you.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
hmm.. 6k is very little with ur corrent requirement... u can hardly fit AMD Athlon 64 3200+ with a VIA chipset based board... then again 939 based boards dont have AGP slot... :(

u r asking for AM2 based processor ... well AMD X2 3600 may come under that 6k budget... but ur mother baord wont support...

u have 266Mhz RAM... it will run with AM2 or any other Available AMD 64 processor but 400 Mhz should be used for best performance...

so... either increase the budget now or Wait and then when u can increase the budget then go for the update...

ur present system isnt that bad :) ?? .... !!

P.S. get a price idea *www.deltapage.com/

assasin

Banned
saurav_cheeta said:
u have 266Mhz RAM... it will run with AM2 or any other Available AMD 64 processor but 400 Mhz should be used for best performance...

AM2 uses DDR2 ram and socket 939 runs on DDR.so if he buys AM2 he wont be able to use his present RAM,though it'll work perfectly with a socket 939 mobo.

OP
J

jainshubhanyu

Broken In
I want to sell my current processor motherboard RAM and graphic card; and go for an AMD X2 solution. OK, budget increased to 8k, but this should include everything - ram, proc, mobo, graphics.

Sound I will use from either any onboard if present, or my Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1.

codename_romeo

Romeo + Lucifer = ME
whether u buy 939 pin or am2 socket, your ram will cost your around 3.5k for 512 mb of ddr or ddr2.
then u are left with around 4.5k for your mobo n proccy.
u can access the situation yourself

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
u cant fit in a good config in that budget... suppose AMD Athlon x64 3000+ at 3k an nForce based Mobo, lowest can be at 4k range so u eat up 7k here.. :)

DDR ram's are now going up day by day... :( so 400Mhz 512 Mb around 3.5k...

stick with ur present system...

u cant fit in a good config at 8k... wait till u can increase it... :)

OP
J

jainshubhanyu

Broken In
I get 512MB of DDR2 for 2500 here in Nehru Place .... hey let's leave the ram, let the budget exclude ram. Now what do I get?
Alright ... now is there a difference between an AM2 and an X2? If yes, which is cheaper? I understand that the sockets are same for both, so we may go with a lower processor right now and upgrade the processor later.

Last edited:

codename_romeo

Romeo + Lucifer = ME
jainshubhanyu said:
Alright ... now is there a difference between an AM2 and an X2? If yes, which is cheaper? I understand that the sockets are same for both, so we may go with a lower processor right now and upgrade the processor later.

AM2 is the socket type , whereas the X2 is the dual core from AMD

assasin

Banned
Go for Socket 939 it will be in ur budget,AM2 will cost u bout 10k( mobo + proccy ).
Athlon 64 3000+( Socket 939 ) + Asus mobo = 6.1k

OP
J

jainshubhanyu

Broken In
Well then .... time to go to the dealer to check prices ...

assassin ... you have crossflashed your drive. Why so? Any performance increase? How'd you got it done?

I got an 820A... can I get my hands dirty tooo?

OP
J

jainshubhanyu

Broken In
assasin said:
Just search 4 it on d net,though i dont think dat u can crossflash it to a BenQ.

That's the thing ... could not get credible (read which could go in my head) information regarding crossflashing and its advantages...

I am not exactly a newbie....I have flashed my bios for mainboard and dvd rom a fwe times ... once even flashed the bios of my graphic card ... but can't get this crossflash thing. :idea:

assasin

Banned
Most companies use rebadged products of other companies and sell it with their label.e.g SONY DRU 720A & DRU 800A r rebadged LiteOn 1673 & 1693S.Also LiteOn 1673 & 1693S r d same.
Crossflashing is a technique wherein u can convert ur drive to the original product i.e u can crossflash a Sony DRU 720A to a LiteOn 1693S.Crossflashing does give some performance benefits but not always.Crossflashing is dangerous,it can kill ur drive.

@codename romeo It depends on wat model of HP optical drive u have.Cuz not all drives r rebadged products and its not dat u can crossflash each and every rebadged product.

assasin said:
saurav_cheeta said:

AM2 uses DDR2 ram and socket 939 runs on DDR.so if he buys AM2 he wont be able to use his present RAM,though it'll work perfectly with a socket 939 mobo.

RIGHT SAID !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom