Because of Microsoft Vista Lameness, Windows XP to Stay On Sale for Five Extra Months

Status
Not open for further replies.

azzu

AJJU
Poor Microsoft Windows Vista. So many people think it sucks that Microsoft has extended the life of the ancient but stalwart Windows XP, originally scheduled to stop shipping in January 2008. Now the company will extend XP's sales life until the end of June 2008, and will keep those boxes of software flowing to "emerging markets" through June 2010. Of course, Microsoft spokesflacks didn't mention anything about Vista's suckage, instead insisting that "there are some customers who need a little more time to make the switch." Yeah.

We've dipped a toe or two into Vista here and there, and except for its pretty Aero interface it didn't really offer much of an advantage over Windows XP. So we stay nestled in the sturdy, comfortable embrace of XP, the OS on which this post you're reading was written, and which for us has been rock solid since its debut in 2001.

Little did we realize that Vista would be such an unpopular upgrade and lame performer, sales-wise and also in the speed and efficiency department. But we hold out hope that the upcoming SP1 (Service Pack 1), now in private beta, might offer some solace. Come on Microsoft, at least get rid of all those nagging dialog boxes everywhere in Vista

source:*gizmodo.com

so no xp after 5 months??? :(

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
^That will happen with all os.Remember win 98.When i get a powerful pc next yr then i will think of vista.BTW what do u use azzu?xp or vista?

OP
azzu

azzu

AJJU
ya its true it happens with all OS es me to goin to upgrade oon with my hardware
iam usin XP
cum online g5 we can chat :D

praka123

left this forum longback
I believe M$ is weaker in technology and best in marketing.seems this time marketing is failing.remember's of windows ME :?
I think windows vienna or zurich wont help them.they shud cancel the release of Vista and instead offer Service packs for windows XP which after this many years have matured enough.when xp is released it is vulnerable and after SP2 it fixes.but dont expect that success with an os like vista with in-built and on-demand upgrade rootkit for Digital restrictions management (DRM) for other organizations.
Just read that the more M$ pushes Vista,the more people are reverting back to XP or start using Linux like Ubuntu :D .

narangz

Web developer
Well yeah, I do not like Vista the way it is now. Memory Hogger!!!(Now don't tell me it uses memory efficiently). The speed sucks too! But I hope it'll be a mature product after SP release. Till then no Vista(I downgraded my machine with Vista OEM to XP Pro)

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
It depends a lot on SP1 now...
If MS can manage to convince XP customers with a good Vista SP1 to shift then it will surely be a big hit..
Well one thing is for sure Vista does have much better security than what XP had it its early days...

Well guys, First of all, No offencements. Its true that Windows XP is here to stay for some time now because of the hardware requirements and some performance concerns of Vista. But dont be too pessimistic about Vista. Vista is a new kid on the block and has introduced many new technologies such as integrated .NET 3.0 platform in it, apart from the pretty and functional interface.

It has a lot of functionality that will be leaveraged by developers over time, like it happened with XP. Dont you think, software User Interfaces and their functionality has improved in general after XP came to market (i am talking about the updated softwares that came out for XP). Same kind of things are possible with Vista too, its just a matter of time.

I personally think that the glitches that are currently present in Vista are result of Microsoft pushing so many technologies in this release of Windows and the market pressure that they were having. The delay between Vista & XP is the longest of all Windows releases (about 3.5 years i guess). Also, Microsoft faced a major turnaround in Vista project, when the idea of a new, SQL based, database like filesystem failed to be a feasible idea for this release and was dropped out for future.
So t think because of these things, it happend to be a glitchy release.please correct me if i am wrong somewhere.

I just sincerly hope that Vista SP1 will solve some problems, and as some time passes, i believe that Vista will become mainstream, coz its a great product, if you try to understand it fully.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom