Battlefield 3 : Toms Hardware

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
Battlefield 3 Performance: 30+ Graphics Cards, Benchmarked : Battlefield 3 Reinvigorates PC Gaming

AMD Cards lead greatly with High settings and exceptional crossfire scaling but take a major hit with MSAA and ultra (strange).

plus crossfire has some problems currently only for some people.

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is all I need to know:-

*media.bestofmicro.com/Y/V/313591/original/amd%20ultra%201920.png

Thanks for the link. :D

rchi84

In the zone
Yup, this is one game where Nvidia is a better bet, if you want to turn on MSAA. Although AMD themselves recommend using FXAA.

Be interested to see how much VRAM it needs for Ultra at 1080. with and without AA.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
For ultra settings in BF3, nvidia is the best option. I recon when all textures are getting rendered , nvidia's compute heavy architecture kicks in because in these settings, the game uses maximum tessellation and high resolution textures.

But i am happy that a 5750 gives 30+ fps at 1600x1080 with high quality settings. I'm satisfied.:smile:

Last edited:
OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
nothing like that. read this -

“What the heck?” you’re probably asking, referencing back to the Nvidia results. AMD managed to beat more expensive GeForce cards at High quality, but now falls behind at Ultra quality. Remember that the Radeon boards take a lot of abuse with MSAA enabled, and the Ultra preset applies this feature automatically. As a result, I’d go so far as to say Ultra quality at enthusiast-oriented resolutions is out of the question for almost all single-GPU setups.

just that radeons suffer with MSAA strangely in this game takes their performance in ultra.

but if we see FXAA
Benchmark Results: AMD Graphics Cards, Post-Process And MSAA : Battlefield 3 Performance: 30+ Graphics Cards, Benchmarked
Benchmark Results: Nvidia Graphics Cards, Post-Process And MSAA : Battlefield 3 Performance: 30+ Graphics Cards, Benchmarked

radeons are ahead and we know FXAA image quality is comparable to 4x MSAA -
HARDOCP - Conclusion - NVIDIA's New FXAA Antialiasing Technology

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another review, another thumbs up to nVIDIA:-

Battlefield 3 GPU & CPU Performance - TechSpot Reviews

From Tom's review:-
In the limited examples given here, you’d be better off playing at a native 1920x1080 on a GeForce GTX 480 than turning on 4x MSAA at 1680x1050.

If this argument holds water, virtually you are going to turn off MSAA except if you have a 580/590. FXAA is a winner though.

Last edited:
OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
atleast a dual core will be needed
Battlefield 3 GPU & CPU Performance > CPU Scaling and Performance - TechSpot Reviews
and we see cpu usage of every cpu varying symmetrically with number of cores. ;-)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Quad core will be safer. ;)

UPDATE:-

Now Guru3D chips in:- ;)

Battlefield 3 VGA and CPU performance benchmark test

Top Bottom