Basic RAM questions

F4stForw4rd

Right off the assembly line
OK so I have been looking to upgrade the RAM on my Dell N5030 to the maximum of 2 x 4GB, but one RAM supplier (offtek) is charging the same price for two types with different numbers.

So I was wondering what the difference is between the two types, please?

204 Pin 1.5v DDR3 PC3-8500 SoDimm

204 Pin 1.5v DDR3 PC3-10664 SoDimm

Offtek charge £20.22 for these, whereas Amazon seem to charge £70.82 for the same type of thing? :shock:

Any other constructive suggestions will be carefully considered :)

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Difference between PC3-8500 and 10600 is the bandwidth. 10600 (runs at 1333mhz) has more bandwidth than 8500 (runs at 1066mhz). But not all laptops will be benefitted by 1333mhz RAM.

Now, price of RAM can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Kingston should be around £40 for 2*4GB ValueRAM 1333Mhz DDR3 SO-DIMM. Same for Corsair.

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
@OP first thing please post what os u have & currently how much RAM u have & what is the frequency if u dont know about it just post the "CPUZ" screenshots of the memory & spd tabs here so we can suggest u what memory and how much u should take

OP
F

F4stForw4rd

Win7 Home Premium, 1 x 2Gb RAM chip, no idea what you mean by posting CPUZ tabs but I am posting a screenshot of what Crucial tells me.

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
download CPUZ from here & post the SS of memory & spd tabs
CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting

OP
F

F4stForw4rd

Well I did post the screenshots so either:

1) The mods are taking more than 10 hours to decide whether my reply is appropriate, or

2) they didn't like the screenshots?

Haven't received any messages about it...

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
Well I did post the screenshots so either:

1) The mods are taking more than 10 hours to decide whether my reply is appropriate, or

2) they didn't like the screenshots?

Haven't received any messages about it...

when did u post them please re post

OP
F

F4stForw4rd

@OP first thing please post what os u have & currently how much RAM u have & what is the frequency if u dont know about it just post the "CPUZ" screenshots of the memory & spd tabs here so we can suggest u what memory and how much u should take
Done that! :grin:

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
By the SS u RAM is kingston PC-10700 1333Mhz DDR3 1.5V at 9-9-9-25 so try getting a one with a similar config/speed
BTW u ram is currently running at 399 i.e 800 mhz

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
^^depends on the cpu & chipset u have or maybe it is underclocked as a powersaving feature it is not recommended to oc on a laptop

Top Bottom