Basic photo editing system

digitfollower

Broken In
Hi folks!

I am planning to build a very basic photo editing system and have shortlisted the following components and in the process of choosing more. Please help me to select and shortlist the components keeping in mind the overall balance and reliability.

CPU:- Intel i3 4150 (Already selected)

Motherboard: - Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H Micro ATX
Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H ATX
Asus H97 Plus -
Asus H97 Pro -
Asus H97M Plus Micro ATX -

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory

HDD - WD Black - 500 GB and 1 TB (I think WD will be a good choice). By the way, is there any difference between WD Black and Black series?

PSU - My first choice was Seasonic 520W S12II-520. But then I came to know that it doesn't support Haswell processor. Then, I made my mind for Seasonic G series (either 450w or 550w). And now I have heard that there is a new edition of S12II-520 which supports Haswell but is categorized on the tomshardware PSU tier list and I wish to go for either tier 1 or tier two psu and that too from Seasonic. How many watts do I need?

Case - I am decided about any case. Any good case with proper ventilation will do. Cooler Master, Antec, Corsair are readily available and in some places NZXT is availability but it is a rare breed here. I dont wish to spend too much on cabinet. Please suggest.

DVD Writer - After researching, I came to know that ASUS DRW-24B1ST. But this particular model is unavailable in India as of now and I think it has been discontinued. New models namely Asus
DRW-24D3ST and Asus DRW-24B3ST are available instead. Which one to buy?

UPS - A good one from APC for around 15-20 minutes backup.

I am not planning to buy a graphics card now but may add a basic one later.

Thanks a lot guys for reading and I hope all my questions will be answered.

PC Build Questionnaire Template

Copy these questions as it is while creating a new thread and answer them properly for your own sake and so that we can help you properly. Keep an open mind when someone suggests you an alternate brand/component and don't behave arrogantly - few threads are mentioned in the above posts, read them if you are not confident with your knowledge. Being a fanboy always ends up in your money being wasted.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Photo editing using softwares such as Lightroom, Photoshop and others. Also, I will use it normal stuffs like office applicatons, internet etc. No hardcore gaming for me.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: Ideally INR 30,000 but can extend it to a max INR 5,000. UPS will be an extra (not included in the overall budget).

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Not at all

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Either Windows 7 or Windows 10.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1 TB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No monitor.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: I already have a monitor, mouse, and keyboard.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Within a month or so.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Will be done by an assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: I live in Assam and I'm ready to buy certain components online.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: What was the need for this questionnaire when I have given every detail?
Also, is this config good enough for my usage? I know it is not going to be blazing fast, but as long as it get the job done, I am OK with it. It shouldn't be sluggish at all. I am planning to keep it for around 3 years.

Last edited:

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Budget - 35K (Modified)

ProcessorIntel Core i3 41507,800
MotherboardMSI H97 PC Mate6,500
MemoryKingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1600MHz3,300
Graphics CardSapphire R7 240 1GB DDR56,000
Power SupplyAntec VP500PC3,300
CabinetCooler Master Elite 3112,600
Internal StorageWD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD3,500
Optical DriveAsus DRW 24B3ST DVD R/W1,000
Total34,000

The Mobo and the PSU you selected do not fit in this budget.
As for the UPS go with APC 600VA UPS @ 2.2k

Last edited:

DK_WD

WD Official
HDD - WD Black - 500 GB and 1 TB (I think WD will be a good choice). By the way, is there any difference between WD Black and Black series?

Hi [MENTION=144051]digitfollower[/MENTION],

I am glad to help you out. For more information about WD internal HDD, I would like to add some word in it. We all are aware that each of WD HDD has different specification for use. For your information, there is no any WD Black HDD series, but previously we had some legacy product with the name of WD Caviar Black and WD Scorpio Black.

These legacy products are different in parts of the specification.

Example: Cache and capacity.

At present, we have only one WD Black product with the capacity of 500GB up to 6TB. The WD Black HDDs recommended for high performance like gaming, video editing and etc.

In simple words, WD Black = Speed/high end use and extended warranty.

The following link describes the specifications for the WD Black HDD:

Support Answers

Hope it helps.

Top Bottom