Bad User experience on current PC ,Should I upgrade or wait?

V.VAIDYA

Broken In
Desktop is still going strong , but feels sluggish and sometimes irritates me to no end.
Browsers take forever to load and slow the whole system down ,I am using chrome 35 and Opera 21.
Was considering a SSD upgrade but MB has just 2 SATA ports hence upgrade cancelled.

My current pc config is -
Brought on 2009 June with Win 7 64Bit Home.
Samsung Syncmaster 2233 full HD
Intel E5300 2.6 Ghz (45 nm wolfdale)
Asus p5k-pl-am\in G31 Chipset,
zion 2GB DDR2 667 ram,
1 TB hitachi HDD 3Gbps,
Nvidia 9600 GT 512 MB ,
LG DVD Writer,
APC backup 550

Well it looks like its time for a upgrade but please don't suggest me a config (Sorry if i wasted your time).
I am just asking How much improvement will i feel in my user experience if I upgrade to -
Intel pentium G2030 + 4 Gb DDR3 ram + A compatible motherboard + A 64 Gb SSD + AMD R7 240?
Avobe config is just a assumption as I have not decided my budget and upgrade time.
I am highly inclined to wait for Windows 9 ,DDR4 , DX12 just for compatibility sake as I don't upgrade much often.(Current Config is already 5 Years old )
I will probably go out of hometown for further studies next year and will buy a laptop.
Should I Upgrade now or Wait ?

Last edited:
G2030 + R7 240 will be huge upgrade from you present config. You can wait for DDr4 to become mainstream though. If your PC uses DDr3 RAM then you can buy a 4 GB stick that you can also use in the new PC.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
One thing, you definitely should consider an SSD.

I think you can use it externally too, not sure though.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
One thing, you definitely should consider an SSD.

I think you can use it externally too, not sure though.

not recommended, sata 3 is the best way to use ssd right now, even low end ssds running on sata 2 have noticeable performance drops..
OP, dont wait for DDR4, its not even out for enthusiastic users, itll be years before you will see it in the mainstream market, upgrade to the G2030, if you dont play games, getting a gpu will be pointless as the intel HD graphics is more than capable to handle browsers and daily tasks
even if you want a gpu, id recommend save up, get a r7 260x minimum later on

PS: Also take a look at Intel® Pentium® Processor G3258, cheapest overclockable with good reviews..

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
instead of g2030, get g3220/ g3258(if you wish to overclock). you will definitely see improvements and dont forget the psu ;)

OP
V.VAIDYA

V.VAIDYA

Broken In
I will format it in a few days but should I install 32bit or 64bit ?
Currently using 64bit and thinking of switching back to 32bit as I have only 2 gb ram.

Top Bottom