B.Tech pass outs this year!

I think it's the time of the year where some become yEngineers. I've completed my 4 year ordeal and has landed a satisfactory job in devops. What's your story?

College proved nothing more than a hyped up school with everyone pretending to know more than they actually do. I learned a few things that contributes to my career all the while learning about how to survive in the real world. TL;DR it was hell and I am relieved it's over.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Share more of your experience ? How tough was 4th year ? Where did you land your job ? How was your job training..
Interested to know:D

OP
H

hsr

Well, I still have to write half the papers (backlogs xD), so can't point out any advice on academia... Generally, 4th year was the most easiest of them all and it's the time when you actually learn stuff you might use in your career. For me, those were cryptography and advanced networks. The elective I chose was Mobile Communications and that is an extension to Networking, but about the wireless technologies. I was surprised to see UWB there as a syllabus topic.

My main project is Achilles, a spray paint based wall painter robot. It still is in construction (end presentation this month 30th), written in JavaScript + APL (Arduino). I did a seminar on JS APIs exposing mobile hardware to web pages. I got placed in QBurst which is a startup-turned-mnc from Kerala as a developer. My resume is kinda filled with projects I did as CPO of a startup so I didn't have any trouble getting past the interview too so there's that. This also meant I would not receive any training but will jump into projects after orientation :D (starts in June).

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
me too , passing out this year.. 8th semester exams are still about to start.april 23rd precisely. no backlogs till now :D, thank god..

tkin

Back to school!!
I think it's the time of the year where some become yEngineers. I've completed my 4 year ordeal and has landed a satisfactory job in devops. What's your story?

College proved nothing more than a hyped up school with everyone pretending to know more than they actually do. I learned a few things that contributes to my career all the while learning about how to survive in the real world. TL;DR it was hell and I am relieved it's over.
Which company?

OP
H

hsr

Don't let the backlogs get to you. If at all, keep it to a single digit. Rest, survive...

On a side note, don't think what you learn in college is even basics for a job environment. Read, learn and experiment more!

OP
H

hsr

I don't exactly know, but my stronger background is PHP (MVC, OOP), JS (HTML 5), CSS and API programming so I guess probably as a JS Engineer or on their API team?

tkin

Back to school!!
I don't exactly know, but my stronger background is PHP (MVC, OOP), JS (HTML 5), CSS and API programming so I guess probably as a JS Engineer or on their API team?
JS doesn't run on UI only, you can have server side JS, check out node.js, php is easy to code for but most commercial firms do not go for PHP usually, most commercial firms(clients) go for either Java(Spring/Struts/Hibernate) or ASP.Net. Stuffs like PHP are usually used by companies like Google/Facebook etc that have their own IT teams, companies like Bank Of America(.Net) or State Farm usually go for what the vendors stress on, which mostly ends up being based on Java/.Net :evil:

Try to get onto a team that works on a framework, don't go for tool based work.

OP
H

hsr

I absolutely hate Java and any model that's based on it. I don't have any particular reason and you can never convince me either. Of course I fiddle with Node.js but let's face the facts here, it is crap. JS in my opinion should be in the front end and should stay there. I currently am mastering Python which I feel should have been my first choice, but back when I started with PHP around 6/7 years ago Python wasn't *that* famous. The ease of deploying code to web applications was much harder back then in other languages iirc. I do most of my PHP projects with CodeIgniter and my company does have a PHP wing. However I'd be mostly given a front end job, they have some Unity devs too and also contribute to OSS, so my options seems fair.

tkin

Back to school!!
I absolutely hate Java and any model that's based on it. I don't have any particular reason and you can never convince me either. Of course I fiddle with Node.js but let's face the facts here, it is crap. JS in my opinion should be in the front end and should stay there. I currently am mastering Python which I feel should have been my first choice, but back when I started with PHP around 6/7 years ago Python wasn't *that* famous. The ease of deploying code to web applications was much harder back then in other languages iirc. I do most of my PHP projects with CodeIgniter and my company does have a PHP wing. However I'd be mostly given a front end job, they have some Unity devs too and also contribute to OSS, so my options seems fair.
Yeah, but ultimately if you work for a company that does not have its own products and does consulting for others(like TCS, Accenture), you'll most probably be forced to work with Java or .Net, something I hate a lot.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

If you are learning python now, then you can also look into LAMP based development. Your company develops on that too. The 'P' can be PHP or Python.
MVC is very common design pattern. Usually used in writing server side code for web based development projects. Its the main paradigm of a J2EE application.

Front end scripting using JS, JQuery is fine, but atleast one server side technology should be mastered. Can be Java/J2EE, ASP.NET or PHP.
PHP is the easiest to pick and from your posts, i assume you have mastered it. HTML5 knowledge is a huge plus. Its API's are extremely feature rich and useful for designing interactive front-end.

If you want to move into CRM, try salesforce and do a certification on it. It's a very popular CRM software these days, after SAP and Oracle Siebel.

OP
H

hsr

Yes, that is what I plan to do; LAMP. I've always done projects in a WAMP setup and is quite a lot familiar with running and managing Linux VPSes. QBurst also has a large SalesForce team, never had to used it though.
I don't even know how to properly write a Hello World web server in Java, and never had any regrets. That language is never for me (so much hate) :D

DVJex

In the zone

Pretty much that and the same story. Except without the job :| . And also a different but almost equivalent degree, B.E.

Top Bottom