Audio issues on Asus motherboard

quicky008

Technomancer
I have a system with an asus p8 b75-v motherboard.For the last few days it had been crashing randomly (while idle)and on analyzing the crash dumps the cause was revealed to be something called "KMODE_Exception_Not handled".

I thought it was probably a software related issue as the system was working just fine otherwise.However today while playing a game,the audio suddenly got all distorted and started breaking up-and the output was only heard from the 2 front speakers(i have a 5.1 ch setup).I assumed it was a momentary glitch and so i rebooted the system-but after doing so i could no longer hear any audio-instead of that my system was only producing a loud hissing sound.

I tested the output with a pair of headphones that i had lying around but the result was still the same.I even uninstalled the realtek audio drivers and tried running the system with the default drivers included with windows but to no avail.

Then as a last resort i ran my system with a live distro of ubuntu but then also the problem persisted-instead of audio i could hear only a pronounced hiss.

So what could be the cause of this problem-has the onboard sound on the mobo conked out?The strange thing is that on connecting and disconnecting the audio jacks the mobo is detecting them just fine-however it is producing no sound at all.Could the crash that i was experiencing earlier have something to do with this issue?

Please suggest what i can possibly do to resolve or mitigate this problem.If it turns out there is no way to fix my audio, would it be better to replace the motherboard or buy a sound card?The other specs of my system are as follows:

I5 3450,12gb ram,zotac Gtx 960,Seasonic s12ii 620.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
clean the audio chip area of the motherboard but most probably the audio chip has gone. Get a pci-e x1 soundcard.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
will cleaning it with some solvent(such as isopropyl alcohol )make any difference to its condition?Is there any possibility that the malfunctioning chip may start working after being cleansed?

pci-e sound cards are quite expensive-at mdcomputers,the lowest priced pcie sound card that's currently available is selling for about 4000-at this price point its better to get a whole new mobo instead,provided one can find one,of course.

Also earlier normal pci sound cards such as creative's audigy 5.1 series,asus xonar dg etc were widely available(esp. creative's sb live value series sound cards which were very popular) and were pretty cheap too-however they seem to have disappeared from store shelves almost everywhere in the recent months-is it because pci sound cards are no longer in much demand and so the companies have stopped producing them?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
will cleaning it with some solvent(such as isopropyl alcohol )make any difference to its condition?Is there any possibility that the malfunctioning chip may start working after being cleansed?

pci-e sound cards are quite expensive-at mdcomputers,the lowest priced pcie sound card that's currently available is selling for about 4000-at this price point its better to get a whole new mobo instead,provided one can find one,of course.

Also earlier normal pci sound cards such as creative's audigy 5.1 series,asus xonar dg etc were widely available(esp. creative's sb live value series sound cards which were very popular) and were pretty cheap too-however they seem to have disappeared from store shelves almost everywhere in the recent months-is it because pci sound cards are no longer in much demand and so the companies have stopped producing them?

1. That's a general procedure and most probably won't work but what's the harm in trying, right ?

2. indeed.

3. Yes and here there's not much demand of sound cards either.

patkim

Cyborg Agent

Some particles of dust may be electrically conductive, some might even develop electro static charge on them. So if dust is allowed to settle on ICs, in rare cases it might just short the very closely placed pins giving unpredictable results. Just use IPA cleaner, Spray it directly on the PCB and allow it to dissolve dust particles in to it and evaporate. You can then gently wipe it with a light brush.

Before attempting further repairs, this can be a basic & simple check to do.

Top Bottom