.:: ATTN: Some DNS Resource Records Questions ::.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuXian

In the zone
I have to add a TXT record for my domain. I use the net4india services for domain and an american company for hosting. The Control Panel of net4india has option to set A,MX and NS resource records only. On the other hand through the hosting cpanel theres an option to change the MX only.

Now I have to add a TXT record. Who shall I ask? net4india or my hosting company??

Plz help its urgent

Deep

Version 2.0
to change MX record in cpanel...

Go to mails option and there you will see last link to modify MX record..

or click this link...

*example.com:2082/frontend/x/mail/mx.html

replace example.com with your site...

to change/add TXT record you need to contact your server admin. He will do it from his control panel...

Deep

OP
tuXian

tuXian

In the zone
By server admin you mean to say the admin of my host server.

Will my reseller having access to dns zone editor and other powers also able to do it.?

Deep

Version 2.0
tuxian said:
By server admin you mean to say the admin of my host server.

Will my reseller having access to dns zone editor and other powers also able to do it.?

yes your web host

reseller can also do it from WHM..its under dns zones..ask him to edit dns zone for your domain and from here he can add add new TXT entry or modify the current one if present...

Deep

OP
tuXian

tuXian

In the zone
Deep sorry to disturb again.

Is the procedure same for adding/editing other recpords like CNAME, PTR etc.

My domain is presently with net4domains but I am shifting my registrar and now going to be with Directi who provide a service called Managed DNS which enables a domain owner to edit the CNAME and SOA records apart from the regular MX,NS,A.

So another question is that if I am with Directi then will CNAME and SOA changes should be done from Directi control panel or do I need to again contact the webhost server admin.? Which record holds good the one from Domain registrar or with the Host.??

I also invite your attention to my last post in IP address related thred *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15687

Would be glad if you could briefly answer it in easy terms for me

Deep

Version 2.0
tuxian said:
Deep sorry to disturb again.

Is the procedure same for adding/editing other recpords like CNAME, PTR etc.

My domain is presently with net4domains but I am shifting my registrar and now going to be with Directi who provide a service called Managed DNS which enables a domain owner to edit the CNAME and SOA records apart from the regular MX,NS,A.

So another question is that if I am with Directi then will CNAME and SOA changes should be done from Directi control panel or do I need to again contact the webhost server admin.? Which record holds good the one from Domain registrar or with the Host.??

I also invite your attention to my last post in IP address related thred *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15687

Would be glad if you could briefly answer it in easy terms for me

if you have managed dns then you can do it from your end only no need to ask your host...

but i am not very sure about the subdomains...i think subdomains u have to ask web host...

Regards
Deep

OP
tuXian

tuXian

In the zone
ok thats for the CNAME and SOA but the other records which are not supported in managed DNS like the PTR etc for that as per ur answer shall I interpret that for PTR etc I need to contact my host webadmin/webhost reseller which one out of this two.

your answer will be highly thankful and appreciable.

Deep

Version 2.0
but one thing...
just curious...

what is the need ? why u wanna play with PTR etc...

if the records are not in managed dns option then host / reseller can do it :)

Regards
Deep

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
You can use Managed DNS for the other records, but when it comes to PTR records, etc. they are only effective if named.conf is edited manually by the admin. Usually you need to file out a DNS Change request to the Customer Support or the webadmin.

OP
tuXian

tuXian

In the zone
I am just curious and its my habit that whatever I do I try to go into the details of it and try to know it IN and OUT. I have purchased a domain and hosting space. But then found about managed DNS so shifting the registrar.

I am referring lots of material on DNS so wanted to know all this else nothing special.

I am very thankful for your kind co-operation and help

Thanks a zillion again

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Hey, no problem buddy. Anytime! Its actually good that you're trying to learn as much as possible about all this. I think you're the first guy I've ever seen that wanted to know so much about all this after buying webspace and a domain. If only others were this inquisitive... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom