ATI's new 4800 GPU! Will they be able to take down 9800GTX and 9800GX2 of NVIDIA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

napster007

Padawan
@pk chester : Dude i'm telling you....don't support ur argument because the comparison u make is not fair.

PS : U'll get slammed here if u don't post sensible stuff! so think before u post! good luck

jasku

In the zone
Hi guys,

I see there is a heated debate....good old nvidia vs ATI, well I for one, am using the 1900XT pretty happy with it, was planning to buy either the 9800GTX or the 3870GX2, was inclined towards the latter, simply because its got more bang for the buck, and also I can hybrid crosfire it or even get another 3870gx2 go qua cross fire.

Just for mr.pk_chester
*en.expreview.com/2008/04/03 [...] review/13/

Also
*www.guru3d.com/article/content/516/1/

But i have decided to put my shopping on hold for a month after seeing the leaked benchies of the 4870. Dunno if its the rite decision but I have waited this long...wats another 30 days.

Anyways now coming back to this topic, mr.pk_chester, as already pointed out by other members, its not rite for you go around insulting one manuf. jus coz ur loyality lies elsewhere.

Its coz of the rivalry between the 2 that the end user (us) reap the maximum benefit, if there was no ATI, you would have nVIDIA fleecing customers, or the vice versa.

I have owned the 5200fx earlier and now the ATI 1900XT, so I am not one to take sides (alltho i have a soft corner for AMD CPU's despite owning a C2D!) my point being its best for the 2 giants to slug it out..and from the rumors its gonna be one hell of a summer, more bang for the buck for us.

I really hope ATI can perform this time, and not flatter to deceive as they have done in the past, and then nVIDIA to match or even better it!

Lets wait and much!

PS-In the meanwhile I am stuck with my 1900XT :(

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
@pk chester....i own a 3870x2 and byfar it beats everything in the market except for the 9800gx2...the 9800gx2 is twice its price but not twice the performance...just compare the 3dmark results or any other benchmark for tat matter...for ex:
9800gx2 with Q6600 at 3.0Ghz=17452
3870x2 with q6600 at 3.0Ghz=17212
(all benchmark results are viewed in the 3dmark result comparing tool in their website)
mine scores only 16455 cus i have a dumb intel board....i dont think its worth 20k more for just tat lilttle performance increase...and the 3870x2 even beats the more expensive 9800GTX...plus if u have a crossfire board u can use any 2 ati cards in crossfire so ur old card wont go to waste...but for nvidia u have to buy an identical card.U cant put an 8800gtx and an 8800gt under sli but u can put a 3870x2 and 3850/3870 under crossfire...so its much more futureproof...chek this out:
*lly316.blogspot.com/2008/03/geforce-9800-gx2-vs-radeon-hd-3870-x2_13.html
the 3870x2 performs even better than the 9800gx2 with AA

Corrction!
ATi cards always score better in 3Dmark compared to nVidia cards. But actual performance is in games, because thats why we need graphics card, for playing games! I know there are other graphic uses of the graphics card but 9800GX2 performs better than 3870x2, though there is good point there about the price and 3870x2 does pose better value for money but still performance wise 9800GX2 is better.

One thing i agree from u is better utility of X-Fire. Thats true, ATi cards can also run 2 different cards whereas SLI require identical cards.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
As per the rumors even HD 4870 beats 9800GTX and GX2. Guess how powerful the HD 4870 X2 will be? which too is also on the HD 4xxx lineup.

amitash

Intel OCer
the 4870 and the 4870x2 will probably be unbeatable by nvidias current cards....maybe the 9900s might stand a chance though
@keith...ati cards may perform better in 3dmark but also check out the gaming benchmarks...yes the 9800gx2 outperforms it in all games but not but a huge margin

Last edited:

nvidia

-----ATi-----
@pk chester:
Dont underestimate ATi cards. They are the best cards available in the market(considering the price performance ratio).
The 3870X2 is the best card that you can buy right now. The others are way too expensive for the kind of performance that they offer.
And FYI, the 3870X2 doesnt have the proper drivers right now afaik. And if they get the right drivers then it will be awesome. Just wait and watch and during that time, stop making some stupid, ignorant comments about ATI.
And the 3870X2 runs at ~60C max under load which means that you can OC a lot to get more out of it.

BTW, my user name has nothing to do with this post:D

Hrithan2020

In the zone
@nvidia

AFAIK most of the 3870x2 driver problems are solved.Only the quad-crossfire option needs to be implemented well.It really comes to me as a surprise to hear that 3870x2 runs so cool.Reviews indicated quite the opposite.(Is it with stock coolers?)

Man,4870 beating 9800gx2(by 25 %) seems too good to be true.More than performance jump(for 4870x2)?.Lets see.Would be very nice if it comes true.
Maybe when playing games,the difference may be 15% or so,but still very very good.Would serve Nvidia right for resting on their laurels,if they cant come up with a v.good card.

AMD,please please give us a good dual core processor.

saqib_khan

I M A *STAR*
Let me also say something.
The minus point of ATI cards is the availibility at my place.
U have to go for searching & searching for ATI cards.
Wherever i go they will recommend me to purchase a NVIDIA card.lol.
I don't know what's so special with NVIDIA card.

Also, the ATI 780 G chipset is still not available at my place!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(
No motherboard is available now, which has 780 G chipst, isn't that weired or call it amazing.

So, i m simply waiting for that mobo.

So, does anybody know, what's wrong with ATI???

confused

Evolving Rapidly...
i dont think anything is wrong with ATI.
most ppl, including me, simply prefer the Intel-Nvidia combo.

jasku

In the zone
@nvidia

AFAIK most of the 3870x2 driver problems are solved.Only the quad-crossfire option needs to be implemented well.It really comes to me as a surprise to hear that 3870x2 runs so cool.Reviews indicated quite the opposite.(Is it with stock coolers?)

Man,4870 beating 9800gx2(by 25 %) seems too good to be true.More than performance jump(for 4870x2)?.Lets see.Would be very nice if it comes true.
Maybe when playing games,the difference may be 15% or so,but still very very good.Would serve Nvidia right for resting on their laurels,if they cant come up with a v.good card.

AMD,please please give us a good dual core processor.

+1 to this!!!:lol:

ancientrites

In the zone
OFFTOPIC.
Doesnt matter whats consequences gonna be. Even if ATI AMD defeats nvidia still i would stick with nvidia because of its goodwill and not merging with intel or amd.speaking of 9800gtx is overall dissapointment and there is no major difference between 9800gtx and 8800gtx on games except for hybrid technology not sure.i hope 9900gtx would be right choice for my upgrade.Here again nvidia is not revealing anything on 9900gtx.Dont know wats going on in their mind

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
OFFTOPIC.
Doesnt matter whats consequences gonna be. Even if ATI AMD defeats nvidia still i would stick with nvidia because of its goodwill and not merging with intel or amd.speaking of 9800gtx is overall dissapointment and there is no major difference between 9800gtx and 8800gtx on games except for hybrid technology not sure.i hope 9900gtx would be right choice for my upgrade.Here again nvidia is not revealing anything on 9900gtx.Dont know wats going on in their mind

Seriously, what makes u think that AMD hasn't "goodwill". AMD was the first to introduce Dual-Core CPU's, First one to give DX10.1 to world. There are more innovations too but thats about it.
I don't think that everyone will buy nVidia GPU if ATi beats nVidia with HD 4870 and offer cheaper price.

Its value for money that matters.

saqib_khan

I M A *STAR*
Seriously, what makes u think that AMD hasn't "goodwill". AMD was the first to introduce Dual-Core CPU's, First one to give DX10.1 to world. There are more innovations too but thats about it.
I don't think that everyone will buy nVidia GPU if ATi beats nVidia with HD 4870 and offer cheaper price.

Its value for money that matters.

+1 :)

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
i dont see any reason for underestimating ATi / AMD ,they still have great vfm and they will come up with some good stuff soon..its not always abt performance .

ancientrites

In the zone
@ keith_i_snyder2: bro u misunderstood me...i didnt say anything bad,criticized nor like amdati has no goodwill did i? by the way i notice your signature even now you still own good old nvidia.even i used own that series from leadtek.

Definitely ppl will opt for amdati graphic card becoz of price slash and various factor but then there are those consumers who are addicted to nvidia.no matter how much you convince them to change they would stick to their brand be it amdati or nvidia and i am with nvidia.but i am happy for amd ati as they are doing their best for their consumers.

OP
P

pk_chester

Banned
Hey you guys are total debaters! If I compare an ATi card launched a few months back with a latest NVIDIA card than you say it isnt fair cause NVIDIA is a newer card but you guys compare 9800GX2 and the 4870??? That card is still not launched! And I dont know whats up with the ****tards at ATi and AMD they will not be able to beat the 9900 series! Period. And yes if NVIDIA is going to launch a 9900GX2(sure they will) than ATi is gone for ****ing good!

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
^^^^ mind ur language... why the hell are u so biased and wanna fight for something which will do no one good... u like Nvidia so be with that... someone like ATI let them be with that... will u get some bucks if Nvidia sales increase or will u loose anything... .. we can compare performce but not fight on something which is of no use...

amitash

Intel OCer
^^^+1 consider this...the nvidia 8-series and the ati 3xxx series have been together a good while now...the 3xxx series was their answer to nvidias 8 series...now the 4xxx series is the answer to the nvidia 9 series...so wat if the card releases a few months later....it doesnt really matter imo...for eg:they released the PS3 a few months after Xbox 360 so does tat mean we cant compare ps3 and X360 as ps3 was released later???...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom