ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT.

Which Graphic Card Do U Think Is The Best Now.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterShrelock007

Right off the assembly line
AMD finally released a competitor to nVidia’s GeForce 8800 family, ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT (formerly known by its codename, R600).

The New ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT runs at 740 MHz and access its 512 MB GDDR3 memory at 1.65 GHz (825 MHz x 2), using a new 512-bit memory interface, with boosts the memory maximum theoretical transfer rate to 105.6 GB/s – Radeon X1950 XTX has a memory maximum transfer rate of 64 GB/s and GeForce 8800 GTX, of 86.4 GB/s, but the new GeForce 8800 Ultra reaches 103.6 GB/s.

Since it is based on Shader 4.0 (DirectX 10), this video card uses a unified shader processing architecture, i.e. instead of having separated units for processing pixel shader, vertex shader, physics and geometry, it has several generic units, called “stream processors”. This model has 320 processing units, against 128 on GeForce 8800 GTX and Ultra.

The Radeon HD 2900 XT requires two extra power connectors – as its chip is still manufactured under 80 nm process, it has a typical power consumption of 215 W and AMD recommends at least a 500 W power supply for this baby (750 W if in CrossFire configuration) – however AMD certified some 400 W units to be used with this new video card.

faraaz

Evil Genius
I'm getting a friend to loan me a test piece for a couple of weeks...its going to be amazing while it lasts!!

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
faraaz said:
I'm getting a friend to loan me a test piece for a couple of weeks...its going to be amazing while it lasts!!
The same friend that has 915 SIL ya SIL board rather than SLI.:D

cynosure

UbuntuUser
faraaz said:

Cool hai. But sometimes I think that all your friends have super cool hardware with them. This is so good. I want to have friends like them:D:D

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
Zeeshan Quireshi said:
i'll be satisfied with an 8600 GT :)
I wanna know which is better,a single Nvidia's XFX Geforce 8600 GT XXX with nvidia chipset motherboard(nforce 6) or two AMD ATI Radeon HD 2600 pros in crossfire mode with intel chipset(965/975).I m going to buy a new rig to play the DirectX 10 Games such as Lost Planet Extreme Condition,Crysis etc.The card 8600 has only 32 stream processors whereas a single 2600 pro has 120 stream processors.

karthik55859

Broken In
no no guys its the card which is priced at descent 400$ which is comparable to 8800gts and 8600gts......and the results in games is good when compared to the price ratio....its stand between somewhere 8800gts and 8600gts .......still it cannot beat the beast 8800 ultra....even with the two ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT using crossfire solution......

go ahead checkout the review by anandtech

*www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2988

goobimama

 Macboy
Well now Nvidia has come up with that "something technology" where the GPU is also going to double up as a CPU. Should be interesting...

faraaz

Evil Genius
Harvik780 said:
The same friend that has 915 SIL ya SIL board rather than SLI.:D

Nope, different one... :p More like business acquaintance really...but when it comes to computers...beg, borrow, steal right? :)

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
Harvik780 said:
I wanna know which is better,a single Nvidia's XFX Geforce 8600 GT XXX with nvidia chipset motherboard(nforce 6) or two AMD ATI Radeon HD 2600 pros in crossfire mode with intel chipset(965/975).I m going to buy a new rig to play the DirectX 10 Games such as Lost Planet Extreme Condition,Crysis etc.The card 8600 has only 32 stream processors whereas a single 2600 pro has 120 stream processors.

i think 2 2600 pros should be better but u will have to do some research...wait for the release of the cards & their reviews

ssk_the_gr8

karthik55859 said:
no no guys its the card which is priced at descent 400$ which is comparable to 8800gts and 8600gts......and the results in games is good when compared to the price ratio....its stand between somewhere 8800gts and 8600gts .......still it cannot beat the beast 8800 ultra....even with the two ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT using crossfire solution......

go ahead checkout the review by anandtech

*www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2988
2900xt by ati is a very good card ...it is better than 8800gts 320mb..& nearly as good as 8800gts 640 mb..it is well priced & dont forget u get half life 's latest edition free which will come out soon...u get it voucher ...so the card gives u the best bang for ur buck.& it is also HD ready ..though it heats up a bit but its very good...

check out the review here my point will be proved

*www.insidehw.com/content/view/85/9/1/9/

ps- the reson everyones disappointed with ati 2900xt is that everyone expected it to beat 880gtx which did not happen..but it will happen soon with the 2950 :D

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
You guys are forgetting one thing. All these high end graphics card require a lot of power. Radeon X2900 HD provides marginal performance over GeFOrce 8800GTX but eats hell lot of power.

faraaz

Evil Genius
You need a 500 W SMPS minimum...considering that apart from the graphic card, your other system components are also going to take a hefty chunk of power to run...

teknoPhobia

t3h g04t
2 reasons why I'd go for the Nvidia solution, firstly and most importantly, power and temp, Most of these systems are designed keeping northern ambient temps in mind which are a considerable 12 to 15 degrees less than ours, secondly ATI cards are always horribly overpriced in India.

faraaz

Evil Genius
Thirdly...ATI cards have very bad support in Linux traditionally. Nvidia cards are more widely supported and have WAY better drivers...
8800 GTX Ultra or whatever is the fastest overclocked version for me thanks!

ssk_the_gr8

faraaz said:
Thirdly...ATI cards have very bad support in Linux traditionally. Nvidia cards are more widely supported and have WAY better drivers...
no ..nvidia dont have better drivers..their vista drivers r screwed.....

heres a review of ati hd 2900xt...it is performing much better than 8800gts 640 mb in vista specially

*www.thetechlounge.com/article/411-9/ATI+Radeon+HD+2900+XT+Vista+Performance/

praka123

left this forum longback
faraaz said:
Yes.A vaild reason Ati got worst drivers for Linux.
I hopes this will change-
*linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/05/13/1659245

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom