asus P5b not giving 5.1 output

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Need some help I bought altec lansing VS3251 & cant get them working with asus on board sound in 5.1 channel.

It only works in 2.1 channel same was the problem with my creative speakers & I thought that since vista x64 drivers were not available from creative that might be the problem. Now the same is happening with altec speakers & I am suspecting either the mobo ports are not working or the driver is messing up. I installed the soundmax x64 bit latest v6520 driver but its not giving 5.1 sound so I googled & found this thread.
*www.tomshardware.com/forum/218997-30-asus-deluxe-audio-problem-please

Reading that thread
I have disconnected the front panel audio only the rear are connected
Bios has HD sound enabled (If I chnage that to AC97 then soundmax drivers fail to load)
soundmax driver is loading too & I can configure it for 5.1 but when I press the test button I only get 2.1 sound.

Here is a diagram of mobo rear
*img17.imageshack.us/img17/8940/20090318124722.th.jpg
I connected the cords as follows.
green to port 7
orange to port 4
black to port 5

only port 7 gives 2.1 sound
if I plug the black (rear speaker cord into the green port I get no sound)
i am able to only use green cord/port7 in 2.1 channel & along with that my sub woofer gives sound too without even connecting the sub woofer cord (orange cord)

For reference here is an image of the rear ports of 3251
*www.tweaktown.com/popImg.php?img=altec_05l.JPG

Do I need a sound card for 5.1 speakers to work properly or can this be done with on board sound card.
Something is wrong but i cant figure out what?
Need help i am going crazy without proper sound even after spending for new speakers.

NOTE

I mainly need the surround speakers for music (mostly Mp3+ CDs) & will share them with Tatasky STB making a home theater. if these are not going to work which speakers should I buy.

There are dedicated home theater speakers which can work with computer using auido in/out ports from computer, should I opt for those kind, what r the advantage, I saw few at Croma electronics store.

Anyone using these speaker can you tell me how are you getting 5.1 output?

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
I uninstalled the soundmax drivers, disabled the onboard card & then enabled & it asked for the driver & it downloaded automatically from MS site now I am getting 5.1 sound but a funny thing is that if I am on surround 5.1 mode the subwoofer does not give much bass output (its too week), when I press the stereo button the sound goes 2.1 with good subwoofer output.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom